Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal 1911

akela

• 3 weeks later...
Kimber Custom II in 40S&W and Chip McCormick 10mm mags........

:cheers:

Can a 9mm barrel really just "drop-in?" I recall Joe D saying something along those lines....

As I understand it, the breechface on the Kimber 40's and 9's are the same. It would work but due to tolerences, the POI may be different. Only an issue on fixed sight pistols.

Yes, they have the same breech face. I have to raise my rear sight 3 clicks when I use the .40 barrel. I continue to be amazed as to how accurate Kimbers are regardless of caliber. I replaced the 9mm barrel the other day. The original was just a little too rough for lead bullets. It worked fine with jacketed bullets. Kimber sent me another barrel N/C. The new barrel shot to the same POI as the original. I shot a 5 round group in my basement at 25 yards that went under 1 1/2".

That was not C-T-C BTW. It was outside to outside.

The Kimber .45 I purchased in December keeps 5 round groups inside a 2" Shoot-N-Cee at the same distance.

I have 2 .40 Kimber 1911's, they work great. I use the Chip McCormick magazines. It also came with some Tripp mags, 9 and 10 round. They don't work as well as the McCormick mags. I have some Wilson mags from my .45 and they work also.

What is the difference on the new Tripp mags?

Skip :cheers:

I would like to try a 40 cal single stack 1911. Who makes such a gun and who would make the magazines that might work best in it?

I have a Springfield Trophy Match that I bought from a BE forum member. The gun runs pretty dang good. I ran the Western States Single Stack Championship with it and I had NO malfunctions with it. I was one of the few who didn't have any malfunctions. The only thing I really didn't like was the front sight but that was taken care of quickly. There are a couple of things I will alter but they're only for preference and not function.

I also have 2 .40 1911's at my gunsmith right now being built. I ordered each and every part and I bought Caspian frames and a Caspian slide for them. I can't wait!

As for magazines....I use both the Wilson 47NX 40/10mm and Tripp's 10mm mags. They both work.

Edited by jasmap

Jasmap,

What type of frame did you order from Caspian (race-ready, tactical, traditional)? I'm having one built now, too. I am having it built as a traditional 1911, but I wonder if I should have gone with the race-ready frame. My hands are very wide and I was worried that it wouldn't fit me on the front strap. I'm waiting on another slide, since the first one had some flaws...

Jasmap,

What type of frame did you order from Caspian (race-ready, tactical, traditional)? I'm having one built now, too. I am having it built as a traditional 1911, but I wonder if I should have gone with the race-ready frame. My hands are very wide and I was worried that it wouldn't fit me on the front strap. I'm waiting on another slide, since the first one had some flaws...

Hey Skip. I ordered two different frames. I ordered the basic (high front cut) frame for myself and the race ready frame with the tactical cut in the magwell for my son. I got the tactical cut on my son's frame to aid in stripping a mag clear in case of malfunction. There is nothing wrong with a traditional build like you are going for. My gun will be more tradtitional and I'm using an arched S&A magwell that my 'smith will blend to the frame.

Well that is just not true unless something has changed in the last week or two. They use the same breech face. A 9mm and .40 Kimber barrel have the same width hood - at least mine do.

Kimber denied using stainless frames under their matte finish blue guns. Took a call to my friend Dennis at the Custom shop to confirm that they did.