Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Requirements to shoot Level 2 and 3 matches

EricBudd

Ask them.

Assign responsibilities and let them do what is asked of them.

Check the finished product but...Do NOT micro manage your help.

Say thank you.

Smile a lot...................Merlin

People often want to blame people for not helping but sometimes it is the atmosphere of those in charge. I once new an MD that people show up to help then walk away because of the micromanagement. Give me a range drawing and let people look at it and set up the stage. We all know the MD will walk through and move stuff around a little. But this guy grabs all the drawings walks around with them tells you to go get a prop. You get it but then he is at another stage so you stand there holding it waiting for him to come back. He is also very vocal in complaining about people not helping.

I guess the point I am makeing is that there are allways two sides. Yes I know alot of shoot and scoots but lets just ensure that the match staff isnt part of the problem.

We've got a couple clubs in the section now that are paying for setup and teardown. The MD was giving a disocunt of X amount of dollars to folks to come setup. He figured that instead of giving that out he could just pay a couple folks to come out and set up and tear down. It costs an extra dollar or two per shooter but there is a ton less burnout, no one has to stick around for teardown and the match, and this is the weird part for one particular club, actually starts on time.

... lets just ensure that the match staff isn't part of the problem.

A point well-made!

Your basic "point one finger out, three point back at you". If a club's RO's don't know the rules (do a search, there is enough commentary on this site regarding that issue) or arbitrarily enforce them, or they are just plain ignorant and rude, why should any shooter want to get involved or help out? WE are our own best marketing device to new and established shooters getting involved in the clubs and matches at more than a paying customer level.

Same goes for you Vince....step away from the keyboard....

Holding the timer allows you to be ignorant and rude AND gives you a moral highground at the same time.

NOT holding the timer means you are a sub-human retro-hominid....

FY42385

Holding the timer allows you to be ignorant and rude AND gives you a moral highground at the same time.

FY42385

Huh? What are you really trying to say?

FY42385

?????????????????

Back to the subject.

I would be in favor for 30-40% of the slots for an Area match being available to the clubs first to distribute based on mission count. This would reward those individuals who help out at a local level. Have a strict cut off date for the slots to be returned, all unclaimed slots would go back into the general poll.

We've got a couple clubs in the section now that are paying for setup and teardown. The MD was giving a disocunt of X amount of dollars to folks to come setup. He figured that instead of giving that out he could just pay a couple folks to come out and set up and tear down. It costs an extra dollar or two per shooter but there is a ton less burnout, no one has to stick around for teardown and the match, and this is the weird part for one particular club, actually starts on time.

When this method is followed, every shooter contributes equally to setup and tear down and there's no problem with helpers and non-helpers.

Moreover, it allows those of us who are still super-seniors after 1 January to contribute equally to the task.

The club where I shoot has simple rules. As your experience increases you are actually expected to set up shoots. Most guys get to set up twice a year once they get the experience. The design has to be feted a week or so before the shoot. I a guy has a problem with designing he can ask anybody, we will help where we can. The rule is you design it you set it up and the last detail break up the range they last shot. This helps everyone to be knowledgeable about the rules and we get to shoot between 48 and 50 varied shoots every year. The system works well and our RM has the personality to make it work out. If you find the date of "your" shoot inconvenient you just swap out with someone else. Before the shoot the range gets inspected and all potentially unsafe situations are rectified. We never ever have 180 traps or similar.

Most shooters, myself included, see it as a challenge to set a interesting and challenging shoot. With us it is a matter of pride. It is almost an adventure to shoot at my club. In other clubs I found that shoots were set by only some members and soon the shoots became boring and repetitive.

FY42385

?????????????????

Hmph. :yawn:

Edited by JThompson