Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp die problem decap pin bending all the time

somebody help me out please. My first station that decaps the old primer out and resizes is bending the decap pin every 100 shells that go through. I have gone through 6 pins so far and pulled the Dllon die out and replaced it with a Lee and so far no problems. What am I doing wrong when I set up the die that makes it bend so often? I know it is some sort of "floating pin".It wiggles alot. What is up? Thanks folks

make sure everything that is supposed to be tight, is tight. you shouldn't be bending them like that unless there is something in the cases (I know what that's like I went through 10 in one sitting once, brass chunks, lead chunks, rocks, .22 cases etc.).

Had a similar issue while loading 9mm w/ Dillon carbide dies. Operator error was the driving force for the first occurance but I had quite a time getting the stock replacement pin to seat so it would not move. The square shoulder on the front side of the decapping pin doesn't seem to seat well in the tapered anvil collet. I ended up futzing with it such that it did end up seating fairly well but ended up bending [and straightening] the replacement due to misalignment. I will tear it apart and have a closer look over the next couple days.

No gripes here, the Dillon is still the best ammo producing machine out there IMHO!!

SND

Next time with the new decap pin, chuck it into your drill and polish the pin and round the radius of the end so it is rounded more. If you want to reduce the thickness of the pin as well that would help to. Some 9x19 brass has a smaller decap hole that others, so .45 might be the same as well...

Hope that helps...

DougC

Great suggestions Doug. I broke the front corner with a small mill file in a drill press. Unfortunately, the anvil bottomed out in the knurled collet before getting pressure on the pin. I placed a small brass nut between the back of the pin and the flat of the anvil to take up the space. Kind of a cobble job but it's solid! The die set "destructions" seem to suggest the pin should be tight.

Scott

After replacing the decapping pin and tightening down the decapping stem/assembly in the die body, with a deprimed case in station 1, loosen the die lock ring and cycle the handle all the way down so the decapping pin is in the flash hole, then tighten the lock ring on the die body.

be