Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp and Clays

Rufus The Bum

Lee manual shows starting load of 4.5 gr. of Clays (I assume it's straight Clays)  for 230 gr jacketed, but that may be hotter than you want.  I have loaded 4.0 of straight Clays with 230 gr.  JHP and it shoots nicely from my 5" Springfield.  I haven't had time to chrono it yet but suspect it may be in range of 750 fps.  The Lee manual shows 874 fps for its never exceed load of 4.7gr.  Doesn't mention a barrel length.

Al

I don't own a Lee manual but 4.5gr of Clays(plain) for a 230gr bullet seems awefully high to me.

FWIW my major load is 4.0gr of Clays, 230gr Montana Gold CMJ, WLP, OAL 1.255, Crimp 0.469.

here is a load that a local GM sent me along with his chrono info.

3.6grs. Clays, 230 Laser-cast, WWLP, average velocity: 760, standard deviation: 12, power factor: 169.63.  

Hodgdons lists 4.0 of clays with a 230 grain hollow point making 732 fps which would just barely make major . You may be able to bump that up a tenth or 2 using a round nose as there will be less bullet in the case thus slightly lowering pressures but this is just a guess which I am sure someone here may know more about than I .

I chrono'd some Clays today in 45 acp and came up with the following.  3.7 was about 162-168pf.  4.0 was about 168-174 and 4.2 was about 175.  This was loaded to 1.25 OAL with 230gn lead.  It was a "soft and snappy" load, softer than titegroup?  maybe a little, definitely less smoke and alot cleaner.  I think I can get too like this powder.  I load with powder that is readily available.  Titegroup and VV is not readily available, but Clays is.  If you get the chance, check out Clays.  My Hodgdons manual says 4.0 grns will give you 732fps with a 230 fmj/fp. That's right on the money. Thank you everyones info, it really helped.        

Just bought a 550b from BE.com and loaded my first rounds earlier today.  Used 4.0 grains of Clays with a 230 gr lrn.  Had a blast today except for the snow while I tested the rounds.

Is 3.7 grains of Clays enough of a cushion to make major for IPSC? What recoil spring weight do you use for 3.7 - 3.8 of Clays? 14? I've been using 16.5 wolf variable for 4.0.

Sorry for the newb questions,

Josh

3.7 might be good for local matches because it's so close to 165, but I would load to 4.0 for a major match just to be on the safe side.  I honestly couldn't tell any difference between 3.7 and 4.0  What did you think of Clays?  I sure liked it.  I'm running a 16lb ISMI recoil spring right now in a 5" National match barrel. Glad you like your Dillon.  

I have been working up loads with Clays for west coast 230 grain FMJ-RN bullets.  IMPORTANT to note: Clays reacts a lot to a small amount of change!!  I would never recommend jumping around by more than a tenth at a time.  For example - 3.9 grains in my gun yields a 164.5 power factor.  4.0 grains gave me a 169.7 power factor.  Clays is a great powder but be extra careful with how you experiment.

Quote: from Rufus The Bum on 12:05 am on Mar. 3, 2003

3.7 might be good for local matches because it's so close to 165, but I would load to 4.0 for a major match just to be on the safe side.  I honestly couldn't tell any difference between 3.7 and 4.0  What did you think of Clays?  I sure liked it.  I'm running a 16lb ISMI recoil spring right now in a 5" National match barrel. Glad you like your Dillon.  

Cool, looks like i'll be able to use the same recoil spring that i have then.  I've been ordering way to much stuff from brownells.

I liked Clays, but then again i've only shot reloads with Clays and factory fmj.  I don't perceive that much recoil.  I wonder if Clays is a decent powder for 200 grain SWC?

Josh

Quote: from JT Johnson on 9:24 pm on Mar. 4, 2003

Quote: from Rufus The Bum on 12:05 am on Mar. 3, 2003

Cool, looks like i'll be able to use the same recoil spring that i have then.  I've been ordering way to much stuff from brownells.

I liked Clays, but then again i've only shot reloads with Clays and factory fmj.  I don't perceive that much recoil.  I wonder if Clays is a decent powder for 200 grain SWC?

Josh

That's the load I'll be working on is the 200 lswc with clays. I was using 3.5 clays with a 250 rnfp which is the softest shooting .45 I've used yet.

I'm going to shoot a match with Titegroup and another match the next day with Clays (same p/f) Because that's the big determining factor on whether or not it will really be a good powder.  But it looks GREAT right now from what little playing around I've done with it.  You can NEVER buy too much stuff from Brownells.

Hi Rufus - I did the same thing.  At the same velocity (around 165 PF - 200 grain Rns going about 830FPS) Clays and Titegroup "felt" the same outdoors. Tried them indoors and Titegroup made a lot more noise - makes a harsh "crack".  Also, Titegroup was filthy in .45 compared to Clays. Thing is, Titegroup seems to run clean in high pressure calibers like .40SW.  Clays, well its designed to burn clean at low shotgun pressures and burns clean in .45ACP. I found that Clays gets the nod. Tell us what you discover. Both powders are easily available and really cheap in bulk (compared to V V).  

The reason the TG was louder is that it is a ball powder. All ball powders indoors. They give off sound at a higher frequency. High frequency sounds reflect better of hard surfaces, which we pick up better than low frequency sounds. Low frequency sounds travel better through objects. Thats why you can only hear the base noises (drum) out of the low rider Jap Import POS that goes past or parks outside.

The Clays is made is Australia and is a Flake type powder. It is bulkier than TG and other ball powders and is far more sensitive to moisture than ball, so you have to be more careful when you get close to top pressures.

• 2 weeks later...
<blockquote><hr><font size="1" face="verdana, helvetica">Quote: from JT Johnson on 9:24 pm on Mar. 4, 2003

</font><blockquote><hr><font size="1" face="verdana, helvetica">Quote: from Rufus The Bum on 12:05 am on Mar. 3, 2003

</font><hr></blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana, helvetica">

Josh

</font><hr></blockquote>

That's the load I'll be working on is the 200 lswc with clays. I was using 3.5 clays with a 250 rnfp which is the softest shooting .45 I've used yet.

How is the progress coming on those 200 grain SWC with Clays? Bought some SWC the other night and thinking 4.0 grains of Clays might be a good starting point?

3.8 grains for 230 gr lrn seem to shoot pretty well.

Shot my compact with factory fmj the other day and think i'll stick with reloads from now on:)

Josh

• 2 weeks later...
How is the progress coming on those 200 grain SWC with Clays? Bought some SWC the other night and thinking 4.0 grains of Clays might be a good starting point?

3.8 grains for 230 gr lrn seem to shoot pretty well.

Shot my compact with factory fmj the other day and think i'll stick with reloads from now on:)

Josh

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I haven't tried Clays and the 200 lswc yet, because I need to use up my 250 rnfp before I switch over.