Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overseas trading

Ditto_95

I am getting really tired of hearing people whine about all of the jobs moving overseas.

If you purchase your goods that are made in counries on another continent, then you are part of the problem.

I live near a LARGE retail store that started life proclaming that we should buy American. With new leadership that has become a thing of the past!

If we want our country to survive economically we have to invest in our own future.

Amen brother 1

Ive been saying the same thing for 30 years.. I grew up in a textile cotton economy and hit highschool about the time it went belly up . I remember on girl upset and whining about prom or a car and everything else because her dad was laid off. I looked at the label of her Asian made Members only jacket and Izod shirt and was really amazed she couldnt make the connection.. Americans really dont make the connection between low wages plant closings and towns dieing and there habits of buying foriegn junk thats a penny cheaper.

New car today.

Choices: Honda CR-V, Chevy Malibu, Saturn Vue, Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape Hyrid

All allegedly US built. Honda $ goes back to Japan

Malibu too small, Vue simply didn't like the looks

Ford Escape, we couldn't find one at any local dealer.

Jeep, Fits in all manners except maybe mileage, but since wife drives less than 10k a year, not a real deal buster.

Point, we bought an American (as American as we could) car, built in Toledo Ohio. I admit I have alot of foreign built items. Some guns, a lot of electronics. Sadly a lot of my clothes, but trust me, you don't want to see me naked.

Jim

What really chaps my A$$ is that we have little or no choice with so many items.

So very many quality American products have been forever lost to cheap knock offs.

WE on the whole have to bear the responsibility as our collective greed has driven good but more expensive American companies out of buisness.

I buy American goods whenever possible.

And I would not feed my family or my dog anything made in china.

Jim

New car today.

Choices: Honda CR-V, Chevy Malibu, Saturn Vue, Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape Hyrid

All allegedly US built. Honda $ goes back to Japan

Malibu too small, Vue simply didn't like the looks

Ford Escape, we couldn't find one at any local dealer.

Jeep, Fits in all manners except maybe mileage, but since wife drives less than 10k a year, not a real deal buster.

Point, we bought an American (as American as we could) car, built in Toledo Ohio. I admit I have alot of foreign built items. Some guns, a lot of electronics. Sadly a lot of my clothes, but trust me, you don't want to see me naked.

Jim

Jim, I agree that it is getting harder and harder to "buy American" these days.

I think our salvation rests in having "our government" (read that us) ensure that importers are held to the same standards as US companies in the US.

If there is a truely level playing field, including labor, evironmental and materials then the issue would be non exisistant.

I own a F250 because I need a pickup truck. The wife drives a small SUV made in the US. Little by little, I am working to ensure the products I buy are made here. Sometimes I go without because what I want isn't made in the US anymore. Unless we want to lower our standard of living to support the growing nations overseas people need to wake up.

I am positive you are correct when you tell us that we do not want to see you naked!

Believe me, I'm with you guys all the way. Being in the automotive business though and seeing American cars reliability after 50-60k miles it's no wonder some of the imports sell so well. Hell even the styling has gone away.

if we were only to buy products made in America, then we should also realize that we should be in a position to only sell our products in America.

I don't really see a problem with that. We were certainly self supporting up until a few decades ago.

if we were only to buy products made in America, then we should also realize that we should be in a position to only sell our products in America.

Where do you get all the oil if you can't buy foreign products?

Alaska comes to mind.

Where do you get all the oil if you can't buy foreign products?

Opening up all of the oil fields (Alaska, the Gulf, CA coast, etc ) that the environmentalists have locked down via court decisions will go a long towards making the US self sufficient in energy.

Too bad there is not an environmental lobby in OPEC countries.

I hate "unfair" trade practices.

You mean like third world countries that get robbed from their raw products?

NO!!

Countries that impose huge taxes or tarrifs on imported goods from us...when we have no such policies in place against them!!!

Jim <_<

I hate "unfair" trade practices.

You mean like third world countries that get robbed from their raw products?

NO!!

Countries that impose huge taxes or tarrifs on imported goods from us...when we have no such policies in place against them!!!

Jim <_<

Not meant to be a rebuttal, but I believe that kind of thinking is exactly what's causing the problem. As long as you keep the "them vs. us" mentality up, you're going to lose. Especially with the new economies rising.

I don't see how making stuff from other countries more expensive in the US, is going to up the quality of US products at all... :unsure:

That will only enlarge the US isolation within the world economy and allow US companies to lower their quality standards (something I feel has been going on for quite a few years now (Dillon not included ;))

This might prove to be a fascinating or boring discussion, depending on one's perspective --- but this is the wrong forum for that. From the Hate forum guidelines:

The Hate forum is for rants only - no discussions or debates.

Accordingly, CLOSED!