Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can i improve?

newshooter

Hello i have been shooting for little over a year.. and i finally was able to get some video of me shooting i was wondering if i could get some tips from you all so let er rip tell me where i seem like i have my weakness's thanks for taking the time to read my thread and watch the 2 short clips!!

Thanks again

Joey

Stage 1 - Engage the 1st 2 targets on the 2nd array as you come into the position instead of waiting to set up. I have the same problem.

Stage 2 - Little slow coming out of the box.

Looks good though, but in this game every few tenths count.

Edited by WDB

I looked at the videos and they look good. Good cadence, maybe a small improvement can be made in you getting out of the box, and reloading, but that is an issue that can change day by day. So i looked at your classifiers and you are all over the place. You out run your sites sometimes don't you? Go too fast and get misses? Consistancy is where you need to concentrate. You appear to have a good foundation to build on, if you can bring it all together then you will start making people nervous. Considering you have only been doing this a year i'd say you looked ok. How come you are a B with only 57%?

Nice videos. Your shooting looks good. My only advice is make every shot count. Like Vulture said, consistency is what you seem to be in need of improvement based solely on your classifier scores. Did you get bumped to B for winning a sectional in C class? Congrats!

yepp Area 4 i got 2nd C so i got bumped to B as for the classifiers i havent shot any really since A 4 i kind of took a break... except for one i got a DQ for the 180 violation "stopping my self for it" and at the classifier i haddd a 75% on "the upper pad" and at this match i shot the 06-03 "can you count" at 85% so the ohio calc. says... as for setting up as i get to an array i need to pay attention to that and did notice that pause in the box on stage 2.... One thing i did notice taking a little break sure did seem to make a difference i feel thing just click cause i am not over thinking what i need to do i just shoot and have fun. Thanks for every ones comments they are all greatly appreciated!!!!!

Joey

That was good shooting! Snapping your attention to the next target will tighten up your transitions. It looks like you have already mapped out where you want to reload, so be sure to hit that reload the instant you make your last shot with the old mag, and do it in the first two springing steps to your next shooting position.

Dryfiring will tighten that right up. Again, good shooting though!

stage 1

Move more when you are shooting the first array. Shoot the second array right to left, this will allow you to start leaving as you shoot the last targets. Work on reloading faster.

stage 2

Spank the reload, and run faster.

You are dropping the gun low, and not looking the mag in.

85% on Can you Count takes a good reload. Use that same reload when you are moving.

Edited by wide45

Here is what I see.

They were speed courses and the difference between you and a M was that a M would have had no D's, Much fewer C's and speed leaving and entering positions.

For example on stage 1 leaving position one, RUN. You hesitated leaving and entering next positions. Its really about getting to/from the shot fast and efficient.

I would work on shooting groups and "burst" speed and entering boxes. Getting better at that will start to win more matches for you. Accuracy becomes your friend or foe in A class. Its the third of the equation that most shooters lack.

Shooting fast and close is fun but probably would be a waste of bullets. Practice some of it but you probably want to do less than you are doing now.

Edited by BSeevers

Here is what I see.

They were speed courses and the difference between you and a M was that a M would have...speed leaving and entering positions.

For example on stage 1 leaving position one, RUN. You hesitated leaving and entering next positions. Its really about getting to/from the shot fast and efficient.

+1 your shooting looked pretty good, but you lacked any kind of burst out of the box and efficiency entering positions. At the beginning of stage 2 you appeared to walk forward and coast into position. its not so much the top speed but the acceleration, the plyometric burst of power to get you going, you need to reach your top speed in the first 3 or 4 steps. On the other end, if you were able to reach your top speed quickly you then need to learn how to hit the brakes hard and smooth while you get into the next position. think of it as an energy wasting way to drive a car. Jack rabbit starts from a green light and hard on the brakes at the next red light. Always try be in full acceleration or full braking mode (no coasting) unless of course you are shooting while moving.

You could also work on improving your agility. Going around the barracade in stage 1 it looked like alot of little baby steps that weren't really getting you anywhere. Compare that with a professional running back that uses his steps to launch his body into another direction. I'm not saying you need to have the physical attributes a pro athlete, but alot can be learned from it.

Edited by Filishooter

the good thing about video work is that you can watch what you're doing and find out all the extra motions that are involved and then work on eliminating them.

Like Sweeny said, hoser stages are fun, but work on your accuracy at speed and distance.

You're probably at the point that you can pull the trigger pretty fast and hit brown. Don't fall into the trap of practicing that (much) or shooting fast because it's fun. It's easy to go "I can shoot fast!!" and then shoot fast, all the time because you can. Let the sights dictate the pace and you'll be fine.

It's a hard beast to master, but you can do it!

Stage prep until you don't have to think about where you need to go. I see points of hesitation where it looks like you are thinking of where you need to go next (Rounding the wall in the stage 1 video for example). A lot of stage prep will smooth you out quite a bit. Gun handling looked good but you could have broken out and began your reload and movement alot sooner in the stage two video. I practice this quite a bit in dry-fire. Stage one you could have swept the targets left to right and backed yourself out of your position which tends to be smoother than shooting towards an advancing vision barrier (Engadge the target you'll lose sight of first).

Looks good to me. But what do I know? I'll tell you how I would shoot the stages and you can take it for what it's worth from a middle aged fat guy.

I can't tell from the video if the draw was from the barrel or from the holster so I don't know if you did a "table" draw. Without seeing the draw, it's hard to comment on the first array other than it looks like you could cut off a step or so going to the second array. On the second array, I would shoot the targets in the same order, but the first target would be history before I was set, the second target would be toast as I settled, and the third and fourth targets would bite the dust as I was leaning to leave and picking up a foot. I am not able to stand, shoot, and scoot, so I would roll into and out of that position. Again, that's middle aged fat guy style. I would then wallow around the wall like a beached whale and lose everything gained thus far, then hose the last array. Some of the guys here will have you focus on expolsiveness and speed. Yes, you could work on exploding from array one to the second array, and again from array two to the last array. If Jerry Branhardt is your idol, haul ass. What I see is not so much a lack of speed as a lack of being fluid. Your body type, temperment, and shooting style will develop over time. For now, move quickly when and were you can, smooth things out, and be shooting when you get there and as you leave.

Our body types (I am 6'4" with a 40 inch stride) and our shooting styles are so different it's hard for me to comment on the second stage because I would (I think) move in a much different fashion. So, take this for what it's worth. First off, nice draw and good job on the first two arrays. I would not remain static on the last target of the array on the right. I would be lifting a foot as the last two shots were fired and I know the magazine would be dropping at about the same time my leading foot hit the ground. Unless the shot diffculty is quite high, try leaning, shifting your weight, lifting a foot, etc. as you engage the last target. Again, this is a personal style. Have the reload done without hesitation in the first step so you can direct your attention to moving quickly to the door and opening the door. When at the door many shooters would hold the gun high and begin engaging the targets as you did, as soon as you move through the threshold. If you engage them early, get it done and haul butt to the port. Many very good shooters would get to the port and then let it rip ala Taran Butler. On the flip side, a good alternative is to direct your attention to getting the door open, hustle through the door, take a couple of very quick steps, then engage the targets on the left and on right as you slow to set up in the port. This can help to avoid the zig-zag shifting of body weight that shooting wide transitions on the move can induce. Targets at the distance and spacing shown could be engaged in one to one and a half steps. Two shots just before the leading foot hits, two shots as the trailing foot lifts. Let your body accomodate your vision. Without seeing the array behind the last wall I can't tell you if you should get there and lean through the port then start shooting or start shooting coming in. I would prefer to start shooting (from what I can see) coming into the port.

Now that I have over analyzed two very simple speed shoots, another approach would be to just grip it and rip it...