Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags are you SS folks carrying?

Paradiddle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont shoot ss very often ( maybe 4 or 5 times this year) But I use 1 for LAMR, 1 in the gun and 5 on my belt.

Kevin I don't believe ya! Every time I shoot SC or HH and decide I want to shoot Single stack so do You, and Max, and Kevin....and <_<

I've seen stages/arrays that busted things up enough (say...6 rounds per array) that I needed every mag I could carry.

Then there are the times when a mag gets fumbled and dropped...or a bullet noses out or something.

And, now...with the new rule book for 2008...we may see more stages with more than 32 rounds. :blink:

I've seen stages/arrays that busted things up enough (say...6 rounds per array) that I needed every mag I could carry.

Then there are the times when a mag gets fumbled and dropped...or a bullet noses out or something.

And, now...with the new rule book for 2008...we may see more stages with more than 32 rounds. :blink:

Good points. The other thing that came to mind is the situation where you have to take an extra shot and run the gun dry heading to an array with 8 shots. It's nice to be able to put a fresh mag in, chamber the round and then do another mag change so you've got 9 in the gun....assuming you've got the movement time/distance to do it and not slow yourself down. That wouldn't be a good idea if you don't already have a couple extra on the belt.

I dont shoot ss very often ( maybe 4 or 5 times this year) But I use 1 for LAMR, 1 in the gun and 5 on my belt.

Kevin I don't believe ya! Every time I shoot SC or HH and decide I want to shoot Single stack so do You, and Max, and Kevin....and <_<

O/K I checked my records, March & April 3 single stack matches, Nov.& Dec. 4 single stack matches.

Sorry I was off alittle,but I knew it was not alot I hope to shoot SS more next year.

O/K I checked my records, March & April 3 single stack matches, Nov.& Dec. 4 single stack matches.

Sorry I was off alittle,but I knew it was not alot I hope to shoot SS more next year.

LOL just messing with ya. You've shot more than me, I need to get on the ball.

Thanks - looks like 5 is the plan. I was planning on using a loader mag as well. Is a "barney" mag one you carry in your pants pocket in case you really screw somthing up? I've not heard that term.

Are you guys carrying 5 putting all of them on your left side behind the hip bone, or do you run one behind your holster on the right side? Is getting a couple double holders and one single a good idea - I run a Wilderness belt and have a 34-36 inch waist depending on how much beer I've had....

Jeff

A barney mag is what you use to put the first round in the gun....from Barney Fife who only was given one bullet :P

So, you put a round in the chamber, put that mag back in your pocket, grab the other full mag from your pocket and put it in the gun. You've got 9 in the gun, five mags of 8 on the belt and your barney mag in your pocket. If you're tricky you keep an extra round to top off the barney mag so it's got 8 too. None of that matters if you're shooting .40 since you can put 9 in the first mag.

I've got a 31" waist and can't make two doubles and a single fit starting at the point of my hip bone so I ordered a Comp-Tac Belt Feed. Another option is to go with a quad pouch like the one Blade-Tech sells. It's either that, or I'm reaching back to my spine for the last mag or two!

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...557b58637716ede

I thought those quad pouches weren't legal in singe stack???

Thanks - looks like 5 is the plan. I was planning on using a loader mag as well. Is a "barney" mag one you carry in your pants pocket in case you really screw somthing up? I've not heard that term.

Are you guys carrying 5 putting all of them on your left side behind the hip bone, or do you run one behind your holster on the right side? Is getting a couple double holders and one single a good idea - I run a Wilderness belt and have a 34-36 inch waist depending on how much beer I've had....

Jeff

A barney mag is what you use to put the first round in the gun....from Barney Fife who only was given one bullet :P

So, you put a round in the chamber, put that mag back in your pocket, grab the other full mag from your pocket and put it in the gun. You've got 9 in the gun, five mags of 8 on the belt and your barney mag in your pocket. If you're tricky you keep an extra round to top off the barney mag so it's got 8 too. None of that matters if you're shooting .40 since you can put 9 in the first mag.

I've got a 31" waist and can't make two doubles and a single fit starting at the point of my hip bone so I ordered a Comp-Tac Belt Feed. Another option is to go with a quad pouch like the one Blade-Tech sells. It's either that, or I'm reaching back to my spine for the last mag or two!

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...557b58637716ede

I thought those quad pouches weren't legal in singe stack???

The rules only state that the magazine holders have to meet the 2" requirement and be no further forward than the point of the hip bone. It makes no mention on the size, type or number from what I see. The Belt Feed easily meets the 2" rule. I got mine yesterday and measured from the inside of the outer pouch and it's 1.5" at most and the others are all closer, so it should be fine.

The Belt Feed easily meets the 2" rule. I got mine yesterday and measured from the inside of the outer pouch and it's 1.5" at most and the others are all closer, so it should be fine.

Bart,

Give us a range report on the Belt Feed. Tell us how you like it for whuppin' Jim and Z. ;)

The rules only state that the magazine holders have to meet the 2" requirement and be no further forward than the point of the hip bone. It makes no mention on the size, type or number from what I see. The Belt Feed easily meets the 2" rule. I got mine yesterday and measured from the inside of the outer pouch and it's 1.5" at most and the others are all closer, so it should be fine.

Are you using a double belt set-up?

The Belt Feed easily meets the 2" rule. I got mine yesterday and measured from the inside of the outer pouch and it's 1.5" at most and the others are all closer, so it should be fine.

Bart,

Give us a range report on the Belt Feed. Tell us how you like it for whuppin' Jim and Z. ;)

Will do :lol: I tried it out briefly yesterday and I was surprised that I didn't grab any other magazine from the next in line. They've staggered them height-wise as well as in and out so when your hand goes back it just finds the next one in line and you won't grab the one behind it....or so it seems from that little bit of testing. I may post a couple of pics looking down from above because it's pretty cool the way they make it. R,

Bart

I wasn't wearing a double belt when I measured and I haven't decided if I'm going to use one for the match or not. The Belt Feed has two paddle/clips that hold it in place, I have a paddle attachment for my holster and I can run my single pouches either way as well so I may just wear my heavy instructor belt and call it good. I'm going to test it out a little and see which I like better. I actually measured from the inside of the farthest pouch to my body and it was a bit under 1.5" so with a double belt it would be a slight bit less than that...makes it with plenty of room to spare.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming from Limited and am going to start shooting Single Stack also. I have 5 SS mag pouches on my belt but I look like a porcupine.Is 5 to many? or not enough. Using Safariland 773's