Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raking My Roof

MichiganShootist

We had about 18 inches of snow on the ground when I got up this morning.... which is an accumulation of snow fall over the past couple weeks.... 2 - 4 inches at a time.

Then today all Hell broke loose. It started snowing at 8:00 A. M. and now at 4:30 it hasn't stopped yet. We have probably received 10+ additional inches today (according to the weather bureau it was falling an a rate of an inch an hour) and I was forced out into the blizzard to drag a ladder around the house and use a snow rake to start pulling snow off the roof. (Because it's 32 degrees the snow is wet and VERY heavy)

Sorry Mr. Gore... but your warming issue hasn't made it's self visable to us up in Michigan..... I fired up my snowmobiles this afternoon and plan to take a little joy ride tommorrow.

Black powder deer season starts in 3 days.. but no self respecting deer is going to be out in this "Winter Wonderland".

If I lived in that kind of climate, I would install heating elements in the roof structure. Then I would sit in my house with a nice glass of port and flip the switch and watch it all melt. But I'm a lazy bastard.

If I lived in that kind of climate, I would install heating elements in the roof structure. Then I would sit in my house with a nice glass of port and flip the switch and watch it all melt. But I'm a lazy bastard.

Better heat your gutters and down spouts too.

And make sure you heat the ground so it will drain! :D

FM

Better heat your gutters and down spouts too.

And make sure you heat the ground so it will drain! :D

FM

Wouldn't I love to be the power company!

CA - CHING!

Actually I'm thinking that on a suficiently pitched roof the heating would just make the top layers fall of by themselves, depositing the snow where you would have dropped it anyway, and not run it all the time.

Failing that, I would get really creative and have controlled avalanche of some sort. There is a reason why mountain houses have a very tall and pitched roof.

We ended up getting about 14" of new snow in the 14 - 16 hours it snowed yesterday. Way ove 2 feet before Chrismas is a first.... in the 21 years I've owned this place.

BTW--- the solution to the snow on the roof is a steep pitch and a steel roof.... just let gravity take care of it...