Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Irish Whiskey

About all I drink is Irish whiskey, neat, anymore...No hangover, nice taste...Jameson's or Tullamore, but Bushmills isn't bad either...

Once I had Bush Black, I never went back.

I prefer Bourbon, the taste of Scotch doesn't sit well with me. A few years ago my daughter toured Europe. She went into an establishment to buy me a bottle of Irish Whiskey. The proprietor tried to steer her to Jameson's. A couple of old regulars suggested "Redbreast" Irish Whiskey. Of all I have tried, this is my favorite.

Edited by TwoShot

I prefer Bourbon, the taste of Scotch doesn't sit well with me. I few years ago my daughter toured Europe. She went into an establishment to buy me a bottle of Irish Whiskey. The proprietor tried to steer her to Jameson's. A couple of old regulars suggested "Redbreast" Irish Whiskey. Of all I have tried, this is my favorite.

redbreast is good stuff.

BB

I'm a huge Jamesons fan, but my favorite has been Tyrconnell .. www.tyrconnellwhiskey.com I was turned on to it from a bartender in Vegas and it's carried at my local specs. Generally about 25-30$ a bottle and one of the smoothest drinking irish whiskeys I know of. Great on ice!

I just came back from Ireland with a two bottles of Jameson (one a Distillery Reserve) and a small bottle of Tullamore. I think both are very good, but I had a taste of Redbreast at a shop - smooth, smooth, smooth.

I think my next trip should be a scotch tour :cheers:

• 11 months later...

I just tried some Concannon Irish Whiskey. It is finish aged in Concannon Petit Sirah barrels. Not for everyone, but I like it with a nice Padron maduro cigar. Concannon is made by the Cooley distillery in concert with Concannon Vineyards.

I just came back from Ireland with a two bottles of Jameson (one a Distillery Reserve) and a small bottle of Tullamore. I think both are very good, but I had a taste of Redbreast at a shop - smooth, smooth, smooth.

Was the Redbreast a particular year? (I think they have it at my local liquor store.)

be

Was the Redbreast a particular year? (I think they have it at my local liquor store.)

be

Wow, an old thread!

Brian I don't recall if they mentioned a year on the Redbreast. I haven't seen it in any of the stores around here, but I keep looking. My wife doesn't like it when I go to a liquor store - she knows I won't buy a gun at the gun store w/o discussion, but I keep coming home with random bottles of liquor!

Jameson for me too.

I'm more of a rum person these days though. Kraken and Capt Morgan private stock! I admit, not classy, but delicious and cheap.

Edited by feederic

Just tried one yesterday at a friend's house. It is going for $34 a bottle, but Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish was very good to sit, sip and visit. :cheers:

Now to see if I can find a local source.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Didnt think I would have anything to add...Or that I would find this interesting, as the bulk of my drinking was in my 20's...

I was given a bottle of Tullamore dew in an earthenware "jug?" by a friend as the store was getiing rid of that line since the corks were crumbing and falling into the "dew" and customers were complaining. I decanted it through a strainer and bottled it in an empty I had laying around....

Really liked it. Generally not a fan of Irish whiskey, but tried the Tullamore since it was free, and now Im asking if they have anymore!

Another thumbs up for Auchentoshan if you prefer single malt Scotch. Very tasty and smooth. It was a birthday gift from a friend and its great, only had a glass or two so far (told you I dont drink much) but initial impression was very nice. So smooth and tasty the Scots sometimes refer to it as a Breakfast Whiskey :D

Cheers.