Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuned Mags?

TruStreet

I am with Chris. I have 8-140mm and 1-170mm SV mag tubes. I run Gram's springs, followers and base pads in my new 9mm open gun built by Jim Anglin. I get 24 reloadable in the 140's and 29 non-reloadable in the 170. The mags were all setup by me and the only tuning was a little sanding on the followers. They all run 100%.

I was also just shown another little trick with the SVI tubes when running 9mm, the front right feed lip can be dramatically reduced, to allow more room for ejection, looking at it nearly 1/8" needs to be removed, it serves no purpose for feeding. I am about to have at mine with a dremel.

I was also just shown another little trick with the SVI tubes when running 9mm, the front right feed lip can be dramatically reduced, to allow more room for ejection, looking at it nearly 1/8" needs to be removed, it serves no purpose for feeding. I am about to have at mine with a dremel.

If your gunsmith knows how to build nine major guns, (IMHO) you are wasting your time.

If you aren't running spacers in the 9mm mags you should leave the front lips, it doesn't affect ejection and is there as a guide to ensure the round gets to the chamber. Short OAL mags should have the front lips.

Fullrace,

I think Derek Janowitz of Millenium Custom know what he is doing when it comes to building a gun or two. All of my problems are mag related, I sold the H Smith built mags I was having a problem with and the problem dissapeared, well actually not, it followed the mags. The new owner tried them in two other 9mm open guns and the same result, no feed with STI mags without spacer and with a 38 follower.

We put a spacer and 9mm follower in the H Smith mags and they ran, go figure???

I got my hands on SV mags and no longer have any isses.

The trimming of the front right lip on an SV tube for 9mm is a common modification to allow a larger exjection port, especially as the front right portion of the mag does not assist with round feeding, I was shooting with two of my buddies both wel respected in the shoting world, and they both concured, all the feeding is performed by the top feed lip, the front right rim deosn't assit with feed?

I've been running 9 major since before we got the length restriction changed. Just run the SV tubes and you don't need to dremel anything. Let see this site has been around for 8+ years and people still don't learn. Get the gun running and leave it alone. Why do people have to keep F'ing with their gear?????? On second thought go ahead and dremel the mags and a few things on the gun too while your at it, then go to the match and walk around complaining that your gun doesn't work!!!

Fullrace,

I think Derek Janowitz of Millenium Custom know what he is doing when it comes to building a gun or two.

Couldn't agree more! I have a 38SC built by Derek.

You have heard from a lot of posters here about SVI mags running 100% without mods. I did have my SVI 170 tuned because a round got behind the follower when I loaded 29. My 140s run 100% without any tuning. So, dremel at your pleasure.

There is an old saying "IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT!". If you gun runs 100% on untouched SVI mags, why F$$$ with em?

I have two 9 Major guns built by the same smith and both guns eject 100% flat out the gun and land in the same spot. I just broke in another 9 Major for another customer built by the same smith and his gun ejected 100% also. Guess what--untuned and unmodifed SVI mags.

Good shooting and good luck! :cheers: and Merry Christmas

Fullrace,

The trimming of the front right lip on an SV tube for 9mm is a common modification to allow a larger exjection port, especially as the front right portion of the mag does not assist with round feeding, I was shooting with two of my buddies both wel respected in the shoting world, and they both concured, all the feeding is performed by the top feed lip, the front right rim deosn't assit with feed?

Actually, in running 9mm and being involved in almost every discussion concerning 9major in the last 2-3 years...this is the first time I have ever heard of the common modification of grinding the feedlips shorter.

To each his own, however there is 9 shooter after 9 shooter running SV tubes, Grams Guts and the basepad of their choice with great reliability.

Gents.

Lexor40 is talking about cutting down the portion of the mag body that extends out in front of the actual lips of the Mag. Once the mag lips are made at the factory the excess metal is flattened and extends out on either side at the mouth of the mag, there is a good 16th of an inch on either side of a round in the mag to the metal in question. However the metal extends high enough on the right side to catch a case that may be ejected a little low.

It is easy for someone who has never taken a dremel to something to say leave it alone but I bet my last dollar that if the mod works you naysayers will be first in line to have it done to your mags!!!

Dremel-On Lexor40!!!

Smokshwn,

not "feed" lip, reducing the length of the feed lips would be dissasterous, besdies the "feed lips" could never interfere with ejection. That's why you never heard of it in your 2-3 years of disscussion???

So as to clarify here is a photo of the proposed mod, may be a little to much but sharpie show rough idea of the proposed lip removal.

Fullrace,

Actually, in running 9mm and being involved in almost every discussion concerning 9major in the last 2-3 years...this is the first time I have ever heard of the common modification of grinding the feedlips shorter.

To each his own, however there is 9 shooter after 9 shooter running SV tubes, Grams Guts and the basepad of their choice with great reliability.

post-10068-1198459685.jpg

The problem with running 9mm in STI mags is the Front rib on the side is a little too far forward to keep the bullets stacked parallel and with the right seperation or angle. This is due to the short 9mm case. Remember these mags were not designed to shoot 9mm but 38 super. STI does add a spacer in their 9mm factory mags to correct the problem. I run some in our open guns and angle the top of the spacer so the round gets to sit all the way to the rear of the feed lips. They work good.

Now as far as the HSmith mags are concerned and Howard can correct me or clarify if I am wrong or not clear. Howard actually modifies the front rib so you dont have to use a spacer. He does say your ammo needs to be a little longer to work properly. I believe that length is 1.170. I found 9mm works better the longer you can make it. 1.170 is about as long as you can go with spacers but it will vary with bullet shape. Do not buy his mags if you do not want to adjust your load length. From what I understand the rib is made a littel deeper so it actually rides on the bullet and not the case so Ammo Length is critical on his 9mm mags.

Now he complained and had posts removed from this forum, that total B_ll S__t

Calling the removal of posts that violate the rules bs, or rebutting my post are not the best ways to get your point across and are violations of the forum guidelines. Like I states earlier, if you have personal issues with members or businesses, take them up elsewhere, not publicly here.

Happy Holidays,

Micah B and the Moderating Team

CLOSED