Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which leather holster for IDPA

dex_games

Hi guys, just got my first gun (SW 625JM 4") and I love it!

I need your advice on getting a holster. I went to the biggest gunshow here (I'm from the Philippines) hoping to get some gear, but I couldn't even find a single revolver holster! All the stuff was for 1911s and production pistols. One saleslady told me that "Nobody buys revolver accessories, so we don't carry them." (And no, they don't even know what moonclips are.)

So that leaves me with no option but to order online. I'm hoping I can get your opinions before I buy something without having the chance to hold and fiddle around with it.

What would be a good leather holster (I like the way it looks compared to Kydex) for IDPA use?

I'm kind of leaning toward this one from Mitch Rosen:

rosen.jpg

and this one from Andrews Custom (the one on the right):

Andrews.jpg

Which do you think would be faster on the draw? Or rather, which one would you prefer, overall?

Or are there other models/brands out there that I should consider?

Thanks guys!

I'm a big fan of the El Paso Saddlery "Street Combat." It is not sharply "boned" and therefore accepts a wider variety of revolvers. For example, mine was made for my 4" Redhawk and also carries my 4" 625 perfectly. I use this holster for almost daily concealed carry and it hides the big revolvers extremely well. I even use mine in a pinch to carry my 4" 66 to and from practice sessions. And as an added bonus these holsters are rather inexpensive considering the first rate workmanship.

Dave Sinko

Look into a Kydex holster. Kydex is faster than leather, and it wears less on the gun. Contrary to some above posters, it is important to get your gun out faster. Whether competition or defensive use, if you decide to get your gun out, it needs to be out fast.

Talon Tactical makes great revolver holsters. If you really want, he makes a coyote brown one too.

www.talontactical.com

But if you are really set on leather, Alessi is probably the best in the world.

Look into a Kydex holster. Kydex is faster than leather, and it wears less on the gun.

Really? Aside from looks, the reason why I want a leather (specifically, a suede-lined-leather) holster is because I don't want to scratch the gun -- well, at least not too much, hehe.

What makes Kydex faster?

Thanks!

What makes Kydex faster?

A consistent shape and tension combined with a much lower coefficient of friction - it's more stable and slipperier.

... and Welcome to ESR!

The 625 JM is a fine gun.

Try Tactical Kydex Weaponry for Kydex Holsters: tkwholsters@comcast.net

A good compromise if you must have leather against the holster is the Safariland 560 series. They have a Kydex frame, but are suede lined. I used one for several years and was very happy with it. You can find information on the Safariland website.

I have also used Don Hume products and have been very satisfied for the money.

Craig

PS - if you don't put wear on your gun - even in a leather holster - you're probably not practising enough.

Edited by Bones

Andrews Customs are great holsters and Andrew is a good guy. I've never tried one of his holsters for a revo but I use one for a 3" 1911 for carry. Like Round said, IDPA isn't about the fastest draw.

+1 for Sam Andrews!! He has a long lead time, but well worth the wait.

For wear on a gun, especially a blue gun, Kydex will wear to a point as it has consistent rub points. It will reach a certain point of wear, and thats it. A leather holster is always grabbing at the finish, and thus wear it until there is not any finish left. For this to happen, you will have to have ALOT of presentations, but it will happen. Stainless guns really don't have to worry about this.

Bare leather and Kydex can be kept clean to help minimize wear marks on the gun. Suede tends to pick up fine grit over time and can be nasty to gun finishes when so loaded.

Enjoy shooting your FRT "funny round thing". Comp-Tac makes a locking paddle holster that several people use.

Kydex will produce bright rub and wear marks on stainless steel guns, especially on the cylinder. My 66 and 625 have streaks between the clyinder flutes. I do not think anything can be done to avoid this.

Dave Sinko

The wear described is typical and is an indicator that the owner actually shoots the gun. These guns were meant to be shot so quit worrying about the finish and start shooting. The money you save by buying kydex over a custom leather will get you the moonclip holders and more moon clips.(& You can't have enough moons)

One of the advantages to Kydex is it does not retain moisture and does not allow it to pass through(sweat). Since he lives in the Philippines, this would be a concern. With high temps and high humidity and a monsoon season, it might be better for him and the gun to have a kydex holster.

For leather, I really like the safariland holsters and have a 567 for my K frame and L frame wheelguns. It is a pretty affordable leather holster and it is very tough. One thing though about the new safariland holsters.

The new kydex hanger they provide makes the holster drop too much to be idpa legal. YOu have to get the paddle or the leather backer.

http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model567.asp is the belt holster. You can see how low the gun rides, and on revolver models, it puts the cylinder rear below the center of the belt, which is illegal. (rule book, pp 34, note G)

http://www.holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model568.asp is the paddle holster which is IDPA legal.

If you want to use the 567 you either need to modify the hanger by turning it upside down and drilling a hole or you have to buy this: http://www.holsters.com/concealment/access.../model561BL.asp

For leather holsters, I really like Fist. FIST-inc.com IIRC. I've got about 3 for revos, and I'd put them against anyone in the fit and finish dept. Also, I believe I only had about a 3 week wait the last time I ordered one, as opposed to 25 weeks, the last time I ordered from Sparks.

For leather holsters, I really like Fist. FIST-inc.com IIRC. I've got about 3 for revos, and I'd put them against anyone in the fit and finish dept. Also, I believe I only had about a 3 week wait the last time I ordered one, as opposed to 25 weeks, the last time I ordered from Sparks.

Hey I just checked and Fist holsters look great!

Do they come suede lined?

Has anyone tried their hybrid holsters? Leather outside, kydex inside?

Hey I just checked and Fist holsters look great!

Do they come suede lined?

Has anyone tried their hybrid holsters? Leather outside, kydex inside?

As a matter of fact, I have a hybrid holster for a GP100. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I really hate it. I normally like kydex, because I think it is quicker, but in this application it just sucks. The problem I have is that the holster is too tight, and there is no way to adjust the retention. I've even tried heating it, but it didn't help at all. As far as suede lining, I don't know, but the website should tell you what options are available. Again, in my limited experience, I don't care for suede linings. They slow down my draw, and over time, suede turns into sandpaper on the finish. I personally prefer a smooth finish inside, and let the fit and boneing take care of retention.