Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Motorcycle

ErikW

Erik, sweet machine. It brings back memories of my last dirt bike, an '86 Suzuki RM 250. The funny thing is I remembered similar figures on weight and HP. In fact, I looked them up and found 51 HP and 215 lbs. I was a little shocked to see the new bike that close. Of course I know the newer bikes have suspension and brakes that are light years ahead of the old ones, and I figure the power is a lot more usable now. I realize at some point there is a "wall" when it comes to weight and power, but I am surprised that is has remained that stable for that long.

Oh, and I always liked a good nac-nac:

image long gone

Edited by Erik Warren

Yeah, dirt bike development is even more stagnant than pistols. My 2002, on paper, is virtually identical to my 1997, only significant change is the reed valve is through the cases instead of the cylinder, and the cylinder has a new, electronically-controlled exhaust power valve. But the technology has been around forever.

The only really new thing is light(er) weight four stroke motors. The aluminum frame in 1997, the steel perimeter frame in the early 90s, upside-down forks in the early 90s, power valves before that, liquid cooling before that. Yawn. Where's two-wheel drive, auto clutches, low-maintenace drive train, etc.? And the Japanese still haven't figured out people want to buy trail-capable versions of the MX bikes. If Gas Gas (Spanish manufacturer) had anywhere near the reliability, parts inventory, and dealer network of Honda, they'd rule the industry. :wub:

The 213 is claimed dry weight. With gear oil, coolant, and suspension fluid, and Earth gravity, I'll bet it's 220. But it is several pounds lighter than my 1997. Magnesium engine cover, integrated rear brake reservoir... they're searching for weight savings that won't cost a bundle. Plus they are overbuilt for real-world use, made to land huge jumps. I don't need all that stiffness.

The 45 horsepower is probably at the output shaft. They could easily tune the motors for 55+, but the bikes would be unrideable. Got to put the power to the ground.

What really sucks is how the industry is embracing four strokes in the highest levels of racing. They won't be developing good stuff for oil burners. :angry:

<sniff>

I sold my Harley Softail Classic and my Honda Magna 750 two years ago after having the doo-doo scared out of me when a buddy came off his Yamaha V-Max doing only 25Km/h around a corner. Prior to that, I was happy doing 160Km/h on the highways here.

He hit an oil slick and ended up breaking his arm, his collarbone and getting some serious scrapes, so I decided I was getting too old for broken bits.

No, I didnt get a Volvo, but four wheels definitely makes my family sleep better at night.

Vince,

No kidding...

That's the virtue of trail riding. Yeah, you can get impaled on broken tree limbs and slide off of cliffs, but the likelihood of getting creamed by a tractor trailer after bouncing off the guardrail is pretty slim.

My buddy and I used to do some crazy crap out in the woods. Riding on the street just weirds me out, though.

E