Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't decide... Montana Gold JHP or CMJ

SLM

I need to pick up a case of 115gr 9mm's and can't decide between the JHP or CMJ. JHP's are cheaper if you go the three case route but I shoot an indoor match at least once a month and I've heard/read JHP's are more prone to sending bits flying back at the shooter/gallery when they hit steel. Any actual truth to that? On the other hand JHP's are supposedly more accurate than their round nose siblings. Somebody help. It's been a long week already! :blink:

Edited by SLM

I got two cases of the 115 JHP and four of the 121 IFP I like the 121 beter about the same price per 1000

A case has 3700 in the 121 and 4000 in the 115 but the price was lower on the 121 so the cost was the same.

the 121 group real nice in both my guns.

AlamoShooter, I had a chance to shoot some of the MG 121 IFP bullets and I really REALLY like them. About to make a post with the results of the limited testing I was able to do.

Joe W.

Yes that is a nice group, The 115 in both my guns with 3n37 and IMR 7625 had larger groups than the 121 and the bullet cost the same. <_< I didn't get the double I was hoping for though :mellow:

AlamoShooter, I had a chance to shoot some of the MG 121 IFP bullets and I really REALLY like them. About to make a post with the results of the limited testing I was able to do.

Joe W.

I was looking at these earlier today. I'd be interested in any load-data and range results you come up with.

D. Manley I made a post with the information from my first testing Here. I hope to do some more testing with Hodgdon Longshot as the powder. The loads initially tested were with 9.0 grains of 3N38 and the Montana Gold 121 IFP on top. Although they were a little snappier than the rounds I usually shoot they grouped like a champ. When I get some more to try out I will post the data from that test as well.

Joe W.

Joe W.

I was looking at these earlier today. I'd be interested in any load-data and range results you come up with.

I've put a couple thousand of the 121IFP through my gun so far and really like them. Bedell Shorty in Supercomp with no popple holes.

8.15gr of VV N-350 gave me 1433avg and a PF of 173.5 at Area-2.

8.05gr of VV N-350 was averaging 1405 for a PF of 169.5 after I dropped the load a tad (could be some chrono difference in there too).

I'm going to work up a load with Longshot (should be around 9gr from what others have posted) and 3N38 (around 10gr from what others have posted) and these bullets in the near future.

Edited by G-ManBart

To the original question, either is fine. I run the CMJ's after watching more than a few peoples' guns lock up with a kernel of media in the cavity that came loose and lodged between the round and chamber. That said, I've never had a problem reloading them.

The 121gr. IFP's are awesome. SUPER accurate and are screamers. No cavity either since it's just a 115 JHP filled in.

Definitely worth the look.

Rich

I've shot 9 cases of 115g CMJs with no problems. Used for steel and major loads. They load great and are super accurate. I have small children and no interest in exposed lead bullets.

FWIW- I load all of my 9major to 1.175". I measured a lot of bullets trying to find the best combination while my gun was being built. The CMJ's are .561" long and the JHP's are .550". The 121g IFP is .569" long. The little bit of added length gives you a little more bullet in the case. In comparison a 124g CMJ is .590" When loading long for 9mm you need all of the case tension that you can get.

I have shot the 121's for a couple of years, recently switched to the 124 cmj's.

Accuracy seems to be about the same from the 1 case i have shot, the 121's leave a cleaner hole much like a swc.

The cmj's seem to feed a bit smoother, ymmv.

I run JHP seem to group better at 50 meters.....some match director like to put small popper that far....in open I used 124 MG JHP (38SC) for steel 115 MG JHP (9mm) living in freezer country.....indoor (in the winter) doesn't really matter but I hate changing my load.

Edited by dansy