Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LASER CAST BULLETS

TBF

Considering Laser cast bullets as alternative, what has been your impression of these bullets? Most important question : How badly do they lead right outside the chamber with very light loads???                 Travis F.

Travis, I can't speak about really reduced load but for normal loads they are the best cast bullets I ever used, I have used their 155 &170 swc in 40 and the 200swc 45 & found them to be accurate and clean. If I were to ever go back to cast I would use them again.       Larry

Travis, I have been using the 200 gr LSWC Laser cast bullets out of my .45, and it has consumed just under 20,000 rds of that bullet and I have found them to be the best cast bullet that I have ever used.  Leading is minimal to nonexistent, from light loads to making major.

Good luck.

I have run close to 10K of LaserCast stuff through various guns of various calibers.  I really like the 170 SWC and 180 TC for 40.  Have some of the 185 RNSWC for 1911 but haven't loaded them up or tried them...yet.

I have seen no leading in my Para with Titegroup.  There were some very minor deposits in the barrel with W231.  Smoke is lower with Titegroup but pretty bad with W231.

I have driven Laser Cast 357 Mag and 44 Mag right up to what I consider the upper limit and seen no leading.  

I used to cast my own with Dad long, long ago but no more.

Hope that helps.

The folks at Oregon Trail are great and will answer any questions promptly.

Re. A friend of mine used to shoot it. Well, I saw him after the smoke cleared. They are too smokey IMO. I would try precisions.

I've never shot Lazer Cast but I understand they are good bullets. I have shot Precision, but in my barrel (KKM G30) they deposit a streaking thats extremely difficult to remove. The only thing that gets it out of my barrel is the vinegar/peroxide trick. In all due fairness to Precision, many people love them and don't experience fouling.

Bronson7

Bronson, before you use the peroxide/vinegar mix again try mixing up a batch and dropping in a bullet and a ball of steel wool, watch closely and it might make you think twice before using this method again. Jmaass has a link to another site where chemists discuss this in detail.                   Thanks for the feedback all!                                 Travis F.

Used a lot of the laser cast bullets as practice rounds for 38 super. Used the 145 round nose over 4.0 grains of bullseye.

Even though it was only about 155 power factor it gave me a pretty good appoximation of the muzzle flip and recoil with full power loads.

The main advantage I saw to the laser cast was that they were consistently good castings, clear of voids and with good sharp edges. Additionally the lube stays on the bullet better than some others. I hate having to clean up those little strings of lube that come off some other bullets when I'm reloading.

What they did not do, though, was lead the barrel any less than other cast bullets I used. They were also just as smoky.

They are more expensive.

My conclusion is that I buy the cheapest bullets I can for practice. When I can buy bullets for <$20 per K and the leading is not worse than the laser cast I go for it.

Just a word of advice, go for the Jacketed bullets in matches. Being able to see the targets after the first few shots is priceless.  

• 2 weeks later...

Paul B

Your experience with the Laser Cast lube is exactly the opposite of mine - The lot 200 gr. 40's I got couldn't hold the lube at all. Those rounds that did hold the lube smoked way too much for me, as far as the IPSC game goes. The bullets were well made, though, and accurate. I hear OT has a premium line out now, that might be just the ticket for my .44 (smoke not an issue there). Anybody out there with any experience with it? TrueShot is the line name.

TBF, this method was as per Precision Bullet people. They were very adamant about doing it ONLY if you had a ss barrel (which I do). As far as I can tell, leaving it in this solution for 5 min has no adverse effects but thanks for your concern.

Bronson7

I used to shoot Oregon Trail’s Laser Cast bullets and while they are a decent bullet the levels of smoke that it generated was simply unacceptable especially when shooting through ports made from barrels.  

Currently for practice and local matches I purchase from a local manufacturer (LA, CA) jacketed 10mm/40 caliber bullets 180 grain for under $55.00 per thousand and at those prices I no longer use lead bullets like Precision or Bear Creek except when I’m doing Steel matches.