Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrading OS X

BigDave

I have an older iBook G4 that I need to update to at least 10.4.10 because I now have (and love :lub: ) an iPhone.

Any tips, advice, do's, don't's, recommendations? I know I'm behind a full version of OS X at this point, but this bird was doing everything I needed and then some.

I have an older iBook G4 that I need to update to at least 10.4.10 because I now have (and love :lub: ) an iPhone.

Any tips, advice, do's, don't's, recommendations? I know I'm behind a full version of OS X at this point, but this bird was doing everything I needed and then some.

How old is "older iBook G4"?

I haven't upgraded to the latest OS yet, but previous ones have been a breeze. Just backup all your files to a DVD (holds more) then go for it. I suspect it will work perfectly. If you have 3rd party software (that you downloaded, ie. freeware or shareware) then sometimes they can cause issues.

How fast is your G4?

10.5 won't install on a G4 at less than 867MHz

There are ways of making it work, but you will have some loss of functionality, such as not being able to play DVD's.

I have been looking to upgrade the original system on my Dads 800MHz G4 imac. System 10.4 is still priced the same as 10.5!

Edited by wide45

Dave,

honestly, at four years, I think you've gotten your money's worth. It might be time for a new or refurbed new one.....

I've had my PowerBook for 4 years and was thinking the same thing. I may opt for a refurb model from Apple. Assuming I can save up enough money...

HI have been looking to upgrade the original system on my Dads 800MHz G4 imac. System 10.4 is still priced the same as 10.5!

That answered my question, if you were on 10.3.x. It would be silly to pay the same amount to upgrade to a previous version of the OS. Mac should just give you a version of 10.4, with your iPhone, if you need it.

I'll alert Geoff to this thread and see if he has anything for you.

be

After I clicked to add this post, I saw the full thread's title/subtitle. Da. I didn't see that you'd posted all the details needed because I clicked to the thread from the Forum's home page, which doesn't show the thread's subtitle. A small lesson there maybe.

be

I have a 1998 G3 500 PowerBook running 10.4.11 just fine, but it ain't nevah goin' to Leopard, the ante is just too high on hardware overhead. You should stay with Tiger on any slower G4, or G3. Leopard ain't gonna' bring anything to the table for older machines except more beachballin' ;)

Older Mac PowerBooks and Powermacs (not iBooks and iMacs) are built to last many, many years. They are slower than new machines, but run solid on up to Tiger. Apple hardware costs more for a very good reason, it's made to last. My Titanium PB G4500 was my frontline portable for 4 years and then did 4 more years duty as a 24/7 server (notebooks make cheap running servers with their own built-in UPS), it just got retired and still runs strong. Only Wintel crap and the plastic cheapo' macs are meant to be thron away every 3-4 years.

I make it a policy to own a full retail version of every OS X version Apple has released as I never know when I may want to uphrade, or downgrade something (I have over 50 running machines across a 12 year vintage range).

BTW, the install/restore discs that come with a new Mac will only install/restore that machine model PERIOD. You need a full retail version to do an upgrade. Only a prepared clone copy wiped over the internal HD can put a later copy of the OS onto an earlier machine without a full retail install disc.

Regards,