Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith M&P Pro

eerw

I spoke with a S&W rep last week. He claims that it will be released January or February, possibly at the Shot Show. Moreover, he said it would be a Performance Center product. I think it will be expensive.

I really want one.

Edited by sideshowbob

I am hoping this comes out in the Pro Series and not the Performance center..since it is rollmarked that way.

the price then might be reasonable..

"The Smith & Wesson Pro Series are the next step up from the production line while still remaining true to "Stock". Bringing competition specifications and features to factory models, the Pro Series offer that ready-to-go package while still maintaining production line integrity."

I spoke with a S&W rep last week. He claims that it will be released January or February, possibly at the Shot Show. Moreover, he said it would be a Custom Shop product. I think it will be expensive.

I really want one.

If it comes out of the custom shop, would it qualify for Production Division? Hmmmmm, I don't think so. That would be a pretty big blunder on S&W's part considering the talent they have gone out and recruited to shoot in their name.

I hope this isn't so, and it's mass produced and released at a reasonable price.

I spoke with a S&W rep last week. He claims that it will be released January or February, possibly at the Shot Show. Moreover, he said it would be a Custom Shop product. I think it will be expensive.

I really want one.

If it comes out of the custom shop, would it qualify for Production Division? Hmmmmm, I don't think so. That would be a pretty big blunder on S&W's part considering the talent they have gone out and recruited to shoot in their name.

I hope this isn't so, and it's mass produced and released at a reasonable price.

actually I think it would be fine..they would just have to show the production numbers..similar to the CZ SP01 custom shop and the Smith 5906 PC.. both are legal and in use.

I just hope the price is reasonable..the 5906 cost a bunch and was hard to get..

I'd love to wait for one if the price was right (i.e. <$600 street price), but now they've got a $50 rebate and 2 free mag deal going 'til the end of the year...

I finally handled one with the large backstrap - I may be putting some cash down soon... So much for my single-stack plans/ideas....

isn't a production gun supposed to be released to the public for a year before it is legal in production division? S&W should have released it in june or july of this year to be legal for the 2008 natonals. you would think that the shooting team they have would have pointed this out to them.

went back and read the production criteria. guess all they need to do is sell 2000 to the public.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

I can see that there is a Fiber front sight. But does any one know what other bells S&W Pro Center attached?

Yeah.... the ugliest rear site they could find. What is up with that? :rolleyes:

Other blunders might include (as mentioned earlier) failing to make it IPSC as well as USPSA production legal.

Edited by dirtypool40

I definitely hope this comes out. I'd even be willing to hang up the 34 to try this one out. Given the response Smith & Wesson has had to the market so far, I don't think they'll let this one fall out of USPSA/IDPA specs. I'd put a 10-8 Performance rear sight on it over that nasty Novak.

isn't a production gun supposed to be released to the public for a year before it is legal in production division? S&W should have released it in june or july of this year to be legal for the 2008 natonals. you would think that the shooting team they have would have pointed this out to them.

went back and read the production criteria. guess all they need to do is sell 2000 to the public.

all they have to do is make 2000 and make them available..don't have to be sold..

paperwork sent to NROI and have the gun inspected..

I really want one.

I hope its a Pro Series and not too much $$$; the M&Ps my friends shoot are great guns.

But even if its "PC" or "Pro Shop" custom, they will still shoot it in production; its an old pet peeve of mine that S&W would build special custom "Production Division" versions of their PC 5906 - available to order for ONLY certain people; in Production, you could get yours with a 4" barrel & slide, or a 5" or a 6". You could get both front and rear serrations on the PC versions. They were custom built & had a lot of special parts (for the select few at a high price) - but because they had the "5906" on the frame (preceded by "PC") they were somehow allowed. I don't think the PC versions of that gun should have been allowed.

In any event, that seems to be the past (maybe it was something S&W came up with under the old owners). With the new M&P, they have no need for special guns in order to compete with the other offerings in Production.

In regards to the picture, I first saw it about six months ago. That's a prototype at the last SHOT show, and according to the S&W rep at the Tulsa Nationals, the production version won't look exactly like that. He said it will not be a performance center product, which is not what other people are hearing--I guess we'll have to see. I love the looks of the M&P and really want a longslide, but unless they put in an extended mag release I'm going to have to stick to my G34, as I have to really flip the M&P around to reach the mag button.