Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match and practice gun

AzShooter

627.jpg

Here is my 627 tha Randy Lee did his wonderful work to. I may be putting a red dot back on because my eyes aren't what they used to be but the gun is perfect. Sculpted Hogue grips for faster reloads, trigger set for a consistent 4.5 lbs. I use Federal brass and primers and hope I can still find primers when I need them.

617withRedDot.jpg

My current practice gun is this 617. I just got my hammer from Randy and put in a spring kit from Vic Pickett. It solved all my FTFs with a variety of .22 ammo. Shoots Blazer better than anything else with groups about 1 1/4 inches from a wooden block rest. I bought the 617 for cheaper practice and now manage to put at least 300 round throught it at every range sessiion. The trigger pull is between 6.5 and 7.5 lbs. Controlling this and then switching to the 627 really is helping me keep them all in the A zone at 25 yards.

Amazing what almost 1000 rounds a week can do to improve my shooting.

Well, I decided accuracy practice this year would be bulls eye for me

Changing the C-More to a 2MOA dot to see how much better it is.

FWIW I've been using an 8 min dot for bullseye. It gives a nice ring of black around it when centered.

My 617 is a 6 shot that I had a 10 shot cylinder fitted to by S&W so now I have both cylinders and hands.

TomE as for the dot for bulls eye, I have the 4MOA now and the Ultra Dot on my Ruger. The smaller dot seems to work better for me but I will trry the 8 on the Ruger to see what it does.

Thanks

Good set of guns there. Mine is the 10 shot and the blue things in the picture are DS-10 speedloaders. They are the bee's knees. LOL and work really well. I have five and one loading block so I can shoot the Steel Challenge Stages with the rest of the .22 guys and gals.

You guys will laugh at this one. The good old H&R. Its really accurate and tough.

On a similar note, I won a bunch of prize money back in the early '90s at rimfire steel matches with a 9-shot High Standard Sentinel Deluxe revolver. That particular gun is long since gone, but I recently had a chance to buy another Sentinel in great shape with bright nickel factory finish (my old gun was blue), so I bought it just for old times' sake.

(Remember, all those old-time pool hustlers always used the house cues......)

Hey AZShooter,

I just posted to your post on the Smith forum, saw this one here as well an thought it might be more appropriate on this site. I am going to move from Production to Revolver ... because it looks like so much more fun!! But, I don't have a gun for this division. I am considering a 625, or a 610, or a 627. Which, in your opinion, would be the best gun to use.

Also, I looked at the new 2008 rule book on the USPSA website and was not sure whether or not you could use an 8 round 357 in competition. I assume you can ... is this correct?

DocAlamo (in Texas, of course)

For USPSA I'd buy a 625. You could use the 627 if decide to go that way and shoot it in ICORE and USPSA but in USPSA you have to remember to load after 6 shots no matter how many are in the gun. I've caught a few shooters that have forgotten and fired a 7th shot being then put into Unlimited.

The 625 with 230 grain bullets can be light loaded to just over 125 PF and is a creampuff to shoot. The 627 if you shoot it Major is much harder to shoot that the .45 at major.

Just my opinion but I like the 625 over the 610. It's easier to get your reloads in and you can have a gunsmith really champher the charge holes.

Good luck.

Steven

Thanks everyone!

I most likely will buy the 625.

I looked at a 5" the other day, but was intrigued by the 4" JM model. Any advantage of going with the JM versus a standard 625 5"?

I am going to have to buy a new holster and gear before I compete. Good thing Christmas is coming soon!! Got lots to tell the wife I need.

Dr. Bill

+ 1

Both of mine have the same sights & grips. Other than practice, I also use the 617 for Speed Steel.

Jerry, is the Big Butt grip a standard K/L frame grip or did you special order it?

I have one on my 625 and would like the same grip on my 617. I also have a 686 that I plan to practice with for added recoil that the 617 doesn't have.

Any advantage of going with the JM versus a standard 625 5"?

Dr. Bill

Pro: You can also shoot IDPA with it.

Con: More muzzle rise

More felt recoil

Shorter sight radius

Costs more

Put the money you saved by NOT buying the JM towards a 617 to go with your 625.

Edited by Tom E

Another consideration: The JM model comes with a serrated trigger, the standard 625s' triggers are smooth.

This is a matter of personal preference--I prefer a smooth, rounded trigger myself.

For me, the JM model would be a waste of money--I'm going to immediately remove the uncomfortable Jerry grips and the gold bead sight, and grind the serrations off the trigger.

+ 1

Both of mine have the same sights & grips. Other than practice, I also use the 617 for Speed Steel.

Jerry, is the Big Butt grip a standard K/L frame grip or did you special order it?

I have one on my 625 and would like the same grip on my 617. I also have a 686 that I plan to practice with for added recoil that the 617 doesn't have.

Hey Leroy

Yes, they're just a standard K/L RB Big Butt grip, they really help balance the 6" barrel which is a little muzzle heavy. IMO worth the money.

JV