Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Single Stack open holster?

ddj8052

I need to find a new open holster and I would like some recomendations. I am primarilly a Steel Challenge shooter and am curentley using a SafariLand 5012. My problem is that my new open Single stack steel gun will not fit in the holster with the Allchin mount fitted with the Allchin thumb rest. I really like the feel of the thumb rest and would like to use it, but this means a new holster. I see that most makers only offer holsters for widebody guns, so I am trying to find something that works well with a single stack. Nobody locally carries any kind of competition rigs so I will have to order off the internet so if you have suggestions on that I would also appreciate them.

Thanks in advance for any help I recieve.

Juan

Bart, I did not know that the Ribas holster worked with a single stack. Is there a specific model that is for SS or do you have to modify to make it work? I am really intrested in that holster and if it works I will order one.

Tightloop, I did not know that Blade Teach started making Open holsters. Can you please direct me to a link? I looked at there website and all I see are their regular holsters i.e. IDPA and production holsters. I really like their products and currentley use their holster in CDP at Steel Challenge matches. If they are now making open holsters I would love to use them. Again, please give me some more info. Also I have never heard of Gordon Davis any additonal info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys.

Shop around for an old Aluminator. Kind of an erector set holster, it can be configured for

almost anything. I think I have a block for one around here somewhere that is for a

single stack 1911. I would let it go cheap.

Bill

Bart, I did not know that the Ribas holster worked with a single stack. Is there a specific model that is for SS or do you have to modify to make it work? I am really intrested in that holster and if it works I will order one.

Tightloop, I did not know that Blade Teach started making Open holsters. Can you please direct me to a link? I looked at there website and all I see are their regular holsters i.e. IDPA and production holsters. I really like their products and currentley use their holster in CDP at Steel Challenge matches. If they are now making open holsters I would love to use them. Again, please give me some more info. Also I have never heard of Gordon Davis any additonal info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys.

The info that I've seen (on their website) says that the FSH-01 will work with STI/SVI and most 1911 clones. You have to adjust the inserts and the screw on the trigger guard block/lever, but that should be it. I put a 1911 in one of mine and it appeared that it would work fine with the adjustment to the screw on the lever. The only possible issue would be wear on the front of the trigger guard finish from the screw.

The RESCOMP CRSpeed is one of the most versatile holsters out there. It will work with open and limited guns from many makers and provides the extra added security of a muzzle cup.

I've tried the rest. I'll stick with the best. (No rhyme intended.) The CR Speed is the most secure open holster to my liking.

Bill

The RESCOMP CRSpeed is one of the most versatile holsters out there. It will work with open and limited guns from many makers and provides the extra added security of a muzzle cup.

Not to be contrary :) but it sort of makes me wonder. I can only think of two friends that have DQ'd because of dropped guns and both were out of CR Speed holsters. Granted, that might be completely coincidence, but it does give me pause. I got rid of the Safariland 012 I had because even though that has a muzzle cap as well, a bump from behind that hits the magwell can pop the gun out and something similar is possible with the CR. Seems there isn't a perfect mousetrap....yet.

Bart,

I had the 012 and hated it. I never felt comfortable or secure with it.

The ghost works best for me. The only time I have dropped my gun was when I forgot to lock it and bent over to pick up brass.

Bed and chair starts with out the safety on can be dangerous--DQ becuase bumping the gun can cause it to fall out.