Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel Precision Conversion

Full Size

Hello all. I currently shoot a Springfieled Armory 1911 .45acp TRP Operator for our local USPSA matches. I am considering purchasing a conversion kit from Marvel to help keep ammo cost down. This will allow me to do the same training, presentation, target acquisition, etc but shoot .22 ammo. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with these. Good or bad. If you are not familiar with them here is the link http://www.marvelprecision.com

I look forward to everyones insight!

Thank you

-Chris

Which unit are you considering? I have the Practical Unit, not the Precision. The unit functions extremely well with CCI MiniMags. Remington Hi Velocity is okay, but not as good as the Mini Mags.

I was considering the "unit 2" commander version. I am going to call the company today and ask what my options are. If anyone is interested I can post the info I get.

-Chris

Please post with the information...I too am very interested in a conversion. There are a number of conversions (Marvell, Ciener and Tactical Solutions to name a few) out there for the 1911, both wide body and standard, and could use some information.

Busyhawk

Please post with the information...I too am very interested in a conversion. There are a number of conversions (Marvell, Ciener and Tactical Solutions to name a few) out there for the 1911, both wide body and standard, and could use some information.

Busyhawk

I too am very interested, but have a problem which also needs answered. My open gun is accu-railed. Is there enough meat on these units to have it milled to fit a railed gun???

I called Marvel and they are very cooperative with their info. After explaining the type of shooting (IPSC) I do and why I wanted a conversion she told me which product would be best for me (Unit #1 practical model). Since I shoot a Springfield TRP Operator and their manual says not to use conversions I emailed them as well to ask why. Their entire response was:

"It is a liability issue, when the hammer is in the half cock position with the .22 conversion kit on it, it would allow the gun to fire. In the case of the .45, it would not fire as it would not have enough enertia."

I am researching the Tac Sol unit also but if anyone has anything to add I would appreciate it.

-Chris

I just received my Marvel unit for an STI wide body and guess what, IT DOESN'T FIT. :angry:

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm shooting a Bedell Custom STI.

You have a custom gun with the slide specifically fit to that particular frame.

You can't expect a slide cut to production tolerances to fit.

A good smith could fit the conversion to your frame.

thomas, check the dimensions on the Marvel unit. I would be curious as to what tolerances are. My marvel will actually slide onto all of my STI frames, including a brand new one that has never been fitted. If you have it railed then maybe that could cause it.

9mm ejectors are normally a bit bigger than most. If it fits everything else than use what it fits.

Some of us are building specific open frames to work with the marvel as cost keeps going up of ammo. I want to be able to practice with my open gun, but as things get pricier I can't afford 500 rounds a week plus matches to shoot. I can afford that in a .22 to a better degree.

Yeah, I'm glad it fits my limited gun as well as my 9mm eagle IDPA gun. I think that eagle will see most of the action with it as its kind of my bastard gun: 9mm Idpa gun, 9mm Steel gun, Limited back up gun with a 40 topend, and now Limited/Open RF steel gun.

Will it still work with the 9mm rounds?

This is where I'm at right now. I priced out a new lower end last night came out to be a little over $600. With this type of setup I could easily create a backup open gun or a limited gun in the future. I also won't have to adjust the sights since I'm not using my main open gun.

Looks like I'll be selling a gun to cover the cost, now just which one will it be?

The touch with a file is normally all it takes, the inherent problem then is.... Will it still work with the 9mm rounds?

When I say a touch I litterly mean just that. It probaly needs a thousandth off the top or so. Regardless I'll let a friend of mine do it as I don't have that fine of tools to do so. The funny thing is that the .40 topend I want to use on it as well for SS has the same problem...just needs a little off the ejector to fit. I think if one will fit they both will.

Touched up the ejector and now my marvel fits the only frame it didn't. Coincedentally, my limited .40 topend now fits as well....hmmm...off to the range to see if all 3 topends will work on this frame....yet another bastard frame :-)