Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion Square Deal?

forgive me if this has been discussed before but I am getting ready to start loading and I want to spend as little as possible up front. the square deal information says it will only work for straight wall cases. I was told the glock case is tapered. is there any truth to this and any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

One thing to consider depending on caliber might be if your brass has the "glock bump" it might not case gauge. If it's a problem you can single stage with a Lee Factory Crimp die. I'm using range brass to reload shooting in EAA Limited in 40S&W and the factory crimp die has been pretty important since the Square Deal can't size all the way down.

~Mitch

You didn't tell us what caliber your glock is. Other than the 'glock bump' keeping the case gauge from fitting, there is nothing special about Glocks that makes them require special ammo.

If you haven't heard, the 'glock bump' is a small bulge that the brass has after firing in the factory glock barrel (formed from pressure, temperature, and the shape of the Glock chamber.) The Square Deal B does not fully resize (from rim to mouth), so the bump is still there after resizing. The bump prevents the finished reloaded cartridge from fitting in a measurement device called a 'case gauge'. However, they will still fit in your barrel and will work fine. If you have an aftermarket (tight chamber) barrel for accuracy, the bulge may stop the cartridge from working properly. Usually this is only a problem for people who don't have a Glock, but pickup used Glock brass from the range.

The Square Deal B will reload ammo for all Glock Pistols, except the 357 Sig. When Dillon talks about 'straight wall' they don't mean a slight taper is bad, they mean 'no shoulder'. The 357 Sig (Glock G31, G32, & G33) is a necked down cartridge, and has a shoulder. The Square Deal B can not load this cartridge.

Edit: I love my Square Deal B, and wouldn't trade for a 550 or 650! They are really slick, and a great value!!

Glock makes guns in the following calibers: .380 Auto, 9mm(x19), 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45 GAP, 10mm Auto, and 357 SIG.

Dillon makes dies for the Square Deal B for the following calibers:

.32 H&R Mag./S&W L

.380 ACP

.38 Special

.357 Magnum

.38 Super

.38 Super Comp

9mm

.40 S&W

10mm

.41 Magnum

.44 Special

.44 Magnum

.44-40 Winchester

.45 ACP

.45 Colt

.45 GAP

.45 S&W Schofield

Edited by Jeff686

You didn't tell us what caliber your glock is. Other than the 'glock bump' keeping the case gauge from fitting, there is nothing special about Glocks that makes them require special ammo.

If you haven't heard, the 'glock bump' is a small bulge that the brass has after firing in the factory glock barrel (formed from pressure, temperature, and the shape of the Glock chamber.) The Square Deal B does not fully resize (from rim to mouth), so the bump is still there after resizing. The bump prevents the finished reloaded cartridge from fitting in a measurement device called a 'case gauge'. However, they will still fit in your barrel and will work fine. If you have an aftermarket (tight chamber) barrel for accuracy, the bulge may stop the cartridge from working properly. Usually this is only a problem for people who don't have a Glock, but pickup used Glock brass from the range.

The Square Deal B will reload ammo for all Glock Pistols, except the 357 Sig. When Dillon talks about 'straight wall' they don't mean a slight taper is bad, they mean 'no shoulder'. The 357 Sig (Glock G31, G32, & G33) is a necked down cartridge, and has a shoulder. The Square Deal B can not load this cartridge.

Edit: I love my Square Deal B, and wouldn't trade for a 550 or 650! They are really slick, and a great value!!

Glock makes guns in the following calibers: .380 Auto, 9mm(x19), 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 45 GAP, 10mm Auto, and 357 SIG.

Dillon makes dies for the Square Deal B for the following calibers:

.32 H&R Mag./S&W L

.380 ACP

.38 Special

.357 Magnum

.38 Super

.38 Super Comp

9mm

.40 S&W

10mm

.41 Magnum

.44 Special

.44 Magnum

.44-40 Winchester

.45 ACP

.45 Colt

.45 GAP

.45 S&W Schofield

i plan on loading for a factory 9mm barrel and a kkm 9mm barrel. i plan on picking up brass as well as buying.

The Square Deal B will reload ammo for all Glock Pistols...

+1 it will work great for your needs...

do you plan on coming down for the florida open or state, sure would be nice to see another glock open around.

Not in the cards this year. :angry2: I will be at the South Carolina Sectional in April. :cheers:

i plan on loading for a factory 9mm barrel and a kkm 9mm barrel. i plan on picking up brass as well as buying.

I don't know how tight the KKM barrel is. You might have to get a full length resizing die and a cheap used Rock Chucker.

Hello: The Square Deal will work fine with the 9mm. The 40 on the other hand I had to run through a Lee/EGW "U" die before it went through the Square Deal B. The 9mm worked fine in my Kimber and STI 2011. It worked great in my Glock 34 with a stock barrel as well. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

forgive me if this has been discussed before but I am getting ready to start loading and I want to spend as little as possible up front. the square deal information says it will only work for straight wall cases. I was told the glock case is tapered. is there any truth to this and any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Just for the sake of clarity, there is no such thing as a "Glock case". Glock makes guns for cartridges that are slightly tapered (9mm), straight wall (40, 45, 10mm) and bottle-necked (.357Sig). The Dillon SDB will work fine for the straight wall, or slightly tapered cases, but not bottle-neck cases.

The one problem that does crop up with Glocks, H&K's and other duty guns is that the chamber is cut on the generous side so that they feed more reliably. That lets the cases expand more towards the head of the case. Glocks are labelled most frequently with this, but some of the other brands out there are actually worse in this respect. The SDB dies (and even conventional 7/8" dies) can't quite get that last little bit of expansion out of the case. For that you need a special die made by Lee called and Undersized die. Most people seem to get the Evolution Gun Works version which is made to their specs by Lee....but there appears to be no difference between the EGW U-die and the standard Lee U-die....both will work perfectly. Lee doesn't even list the die on their website, but I understand you can buy them direct.

With an SDB you'll need to get something like a single stage press to run your brass through the U-die before loading to be sure it will function with something like your KKM barrel, but they'll probably work just fine in a stock Glock barrel without using the U-die first.

I reload for 9mm Glocks on my SDB. The 9mm sizing die will size down a bulged (Glocked) 9mm case enough that it will chamber correctly. If it doesn't, call Dillon and they'll send you another one.

I bought my SDB used - the original sizing die wouldn't size the 9mm case enough but the replacement die works fine.

In our experience 9mm is no problem to resize on the SDB, regardless of what handgun chamber it was fired in. I have loaded 9mm on the SDB using brass fired in a Glock 19, Walther P-38, Browning High-Power, a Sten MkII and had no problems sizing any cases back to fit the tightest chamber, which was the High Power with a Bar-Sto barrel. The bulge from a 40 S&W MIGHT cause problems, but even that will virtually always go back into the chamber it was fired out of. 40 cal problems seem to primarily occur when using brass fired in a different firearm an unknown amount of times. :ph34r: