Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The venerable remington 1100

GentlemanJim

Over the last 6 months I have been studying the 1100 shotgun and doing lots of testing to determine what can be done to improve its relyability.

The main cause of failures can be attributed to dirt, neglect and wear..very few parts actually break...and when they do it is usually preventable.

SPRINGS....YES SPRINGS.

The main recoil spring gets weak with age and use, and as it gets weaker the bolt and action bar assm run much faster than normal.

This affects the timing of every function in the gun...some guns will keep running...some will have fail to extract or fail to feed and even double feed.

Also as the bolt assm runs too fast ...it batters the shell carrier, the bolt latch, the barrel and other parts in the trigger group.

The fact we shoot quite a few slugs just makes it worse.

Gas system..the old style gas rings seem to seal much better than the new style...as they seal both to the mag tube and the gas collar ,

The new ones leak quite a bit between the ring and the tube.

If you open the gas ports up be CONSERVATIVE you can tune the system to shoot very light loads ...but you will beat the snot out of it with slugs.

I think only ported barrels need much tuning ..I prefer to shoot 3dram shot loads and only tune for those...then the slugs are not so hard on the action.

The action bar assm...its a stamped and formed part ...the top and bottom edges on the rails are nasty rough and need to be stoned smooth.

The right side rail has a cutaway notch on the bottom this notch controls the feed latch..the forward edge of this notch is cut at an angle..watch for wear or damage on this area..clean up and stone smooth.

The rear end of the left rail is an angle...this controls the interceptor latch and the disconnector..again it should be very clean and smooth

Man <_< ...I diddnt mean to write a book :blink: ...just share a little info

I could go on and on about the trigger group and reciever and such....but I will just leave you some pics of a few things I have been doing :D

Recievers that have been worked over and prepped for nickel plating and some action bars ..worked over and also prepped.

PICT0072res.jpg

PICT0073res.jpg

PICT0074res.jpg

PICT0075res.jpg

Jim :)

Be VERY carefull removing metal in this area

You would think you can funnel the reciever to help in loading

But the opening is critical to control the rim of the shells across the interceptor latch.

I have TWO recievers that have suffered DEATH by dremel <_<

Both were funneled ....metal was removed from the critical area and shells will not feed past the interceptor.

With nothing to stop the downward travel of the rim...the latch just moves the shell up and down...failing to reliese it onto the feed latch.

Jim

Edit to add...No it was not me who killed em

Edited by GentlemanJim

Ready for pizza yet?-----------Larry

NO not quite yet <_<

It was sooo funny..I bought an 1100 from a forum member who had just got a benelli.

He shipped the 1100 to me in the benelli box....packed with LINGUINI :goof:

Im still laughing my behind off :cheers:

Ji :lol:

Ready for pizza yet?-----------Larry

NO not quite yet <_<

It was sooo funny..I bought an 1100 from a forum member who had just got a benelli.

He shipped the 1100 to me in the benelli box....packed with LINGUINI :goof:

Im still laughing my behind off :cheers:

Ji :lol:

I was wondering where I left that pasta. :D

Be VERY carefull removing metal in this area

You would think you can funnel the reciever to help in loading

But the opening is critical to control the rim of the shells across the interceptor latch.

I have TWO recievers that have suffered DEATH by dremel <_<

Both were funneled ....metal was removed from the critical area and shells will not feed past the interceptor.

With nothing to stop the downward travel of the rim...the latch just moves the shell up and down...failing to reliese it onto the feed latch.

Jim

Edit to add...No it was not me who killed em

Thanks. I won't open the receiver any further.

The only trouble I had was, after I fitted the easy-loader, I was getting light hits.

Click, instead of BANG when I pulled the trigger.

I cleaned the hell out of it, and now it seems to run.

Well, I'm a Remington fan. And thanks for the info. I have an 1100 and an 11-87. Both have been worked over by Shawn Carlock. He's a whiz on Remingtons, unfortunately he quit working on them because he has so much rifle business.

I do have occassional malfunctions, but using good ammo really helps. One I had at a match in September really baffles me. On a slug stage (using low recoil Remington slugs) a round must have hung up on the feel latch for an instant, and it was caught UNDER the carrier and Easy Loader. I ate 25 seconds off the clock clearing that jam, but it never happened again, though. Anyone have an explaination for that little problem? I think the bolt should have locked back until the shell was released. I do have trouble sometimes with that gun (the 1100) not locking back like it should.

By the way, I've been seeing Benellis and Winchesters doing their share of puking at matches this year, too.

Some people should not be allowed to use a dremel tool.

"Death by Dremel" :goof:

There should be a background check for Dremel sales. :lol:

Yea and a lifetime waiting period before they can pick it up.

My 1100 runs great with no work needed. I have the usual easy loader gate, tec loader and arrendondo chute installed

Well, I'm a Remington fan. And thanks for the info. I have an 1100 and an 11-87. Both have been worked over by Shawn Carlock. He's a whiz on Remingtons, unfortunately he quit working on them because he has so much rifle business.

I do have occassional malfunctions, but using good ammo really helps. One I had at a match in September really baffles me. On a slug stage (using low recoil Remington slugs) a round must have hung up on the feel latch for an instant, and it was caught UNDER the carrier and Easy Loader. I ate 25 seconds off the clock clearing that jam, but it never happened again, though. Anyone have an explaination for that little problem? I think the bolt should have locked back until the shell was released. I do have trouble sometimes with that gun (the 1100) not locking back like it should.

By the way, I've been seeing Benellis and Winchesters doing their share of puking at matches this year, too.

The problem you describe..can be caused by wear in the oval slot in the bottom of the action bar assm.

This slot is on the bottom left rear...the carrier dog catches in this slot holding the bolt open until the newly feed shell strikes the carrier release.

Light loads may also cause this along with crud preventing the release from properly engaging the tab on the carrier.

An improperly fit EZ loader can also do it...or any other issue that may cause the gun to short cycle.

jim :)