Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectran SP2-- what's the latest?

dfwmiket

I have a friend of mine who has a stockpile of VectranSP2, but even he is starting to get low. I wasn't shooting Open or paying attention to the powder info back when the product became unavailable in the US.... can someone give me a quick run down on why it is no longer available, and what efforts have been made to try and get it? I'm happy with using IMR4756, but he asked me and I figured I'd try and find out.......... thanks to all!

-Mike

I honestly don't know why they stopped offering in the states. Other Vectan powders are still available here.

I found a local shooter with a large cache of this stuff and bought him out. I think it's one of the best powders for 9mm. It has about the same burn rate at 3n38/n105 and it's not a compressed load.

I heard it was no longer available because Vectan either lost their import/export license or possibly chose not to renew it. Don't know if this is even close to the truth...but one of the stories out there.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting that it seems to be 'hearsay' and what not........ I bet SOMEBODY has the scoop. We'll just wait till the right person reads this thread and fills in the inquiring minds who want to know. :) Thanks to all so far.

-Mike

PS... I did shoot some of it loaded in 38 super-- not too bad, all in all.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to order another jug of SP-8 for my open gun. (it's not the "perfect" powder, but it was cheap) Grafs is out of that too. So while I had them on the phone, I asked them about the importation of Vectan powders. Here's there story (Take it for what you want)

The Vectan powders were shipped in large containers and repackaged into the smaller ones that you have on your bench. Vectan changed their containers and it no longer meets the requirements of overseas hazmat. (They had a bunch of fancy terms for this, but I forget) Until Vectan comes up with a new container, it won't be imported again. As to the other Vectan powders that are still available....Grafs had 200+ pounds of SP-8 when I called and now they're out. The dealers that did have it, had it in tremendous lots, but the left overs are running out.

went from 540(which is the same powder as hs6) to wap, went from wap(because winchester stopped selling it) to sp 2. went from sp2(because they won't import it) to hs6, and now to ramshot Silhouette (which is the same as wap). I'm glad I kept all my load data.