Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Car Dealers

EricW

I'm weird, but I love buying or leasing cars and negotiating with the dealers. Today it's very easy to find out what the value of a car and a good price, including options.

You must buy on the last day of the month - preferably the last day of the quarter. The dealer "invoice" is only one piece of the dealer's income. The manufacturers incentivize the dealer with variable compensation based on, in part, the number of units sold during the month, quarter and year. Starting to get the picture?

You will be able to buy a car for under "invoice" and many times substantially less than "invoice" if your timing is correct. A dealer can take a "loss" on your sale and still make good money based on their incentives with the manufacturer.

Buying new is like taking candy from a baby - I love it. Buying used from a dealer is a different animal.

No rebuttal - just passing on info.

In 2006 I went looking for a newer used car. After some looking and bumping up the price that I was willing to pay I went to one of the local Pontiac dealers. There I was teamed up with, what I call, "The Salesman From Hell". We looked at all the cars on the lot that met my specs and finding none we went back to the showroom to look at new cars. On the way we passed a 2006 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible. Just what I wanted, but I'd been looking at used cars. So I asked him what the price was. Answer "Make me an offer."

Me "$1000.00."

Salesman "What kind of offer is that?"

Me "You said make an offer. I did. How much do you want for the car."

Salesman as he puts his hand on my shoulder, "What is it going to take to get you into this car?"

With that I turned away and had him take me to the Porsche showroom where the Porsche salesman took over. They had some nice cars, but were a little out of my price range at the time.

Later I was in the Ford dealership office and had made an offer on a new 2006 Mustang Convertible. The salesman had to check with his manager and while he was gone I decided that since it looked like it was going to cost me over $30,000.00 I'd just as soon have a used Porsche.

The salesman came back and said that my offer was a little low and I'd have to come up a bit. So I got up said "Thanks" and headed for the door. Was asked if I wanted the car. I said yes, but that I wasn't willing to pay more than my offer and if they didn't want to take it, I'd look elsewhere.

So I went back to the Porshe dealership and bought a 2002 Boxster for $29,000.00 out the door. Best move that I've made for a long time. Got it on my 64th birthday.

Me "You said make an offer. I did. How much do you want for the car."

Salesman as he puts his hand on my shoulder, "What is it going to take to get you into this car?"

At that point, I would have said something like:

Two hours with your hottest looking daughter and a six-pack of malt liquor.

I am a firm believer that incredibly stupid questions deserve equally stupid answers. :cheers:

Great rant Eric.

I loved how my dad bought cars. After finding the car he wanted he'd ask the salesman what was the lowest price he take for the car. Then after the salesman gave him his BS price, he'd calmly take a small piece of paper out of his pocket and write his name, phone number, and what he'd pay for the car on it, hand it to the salesman and tell him to call him if he'd take that price, then he'd walk away. It was awesome. He usually bought the car for his price within a week.

be

I could write a book on how car dealers have tried to screw me over. I think, because I look like a nice guy, I must have stupid stamped on my forehead, they learn the hard painful way.

My favorite experience so far was at Town East Ford in Mesquite, Texas. Went in too buy a new ford F150, they took my keys for the trade in appraisal and never gave them back, I told them I would not deal or talk to them till I got my keys back, the salesman had the balls to tell me NO. I bet they heard my screaming and cussing all the way to Oklahoma, we both threatened to call the cops and when it was all over, the showroom was empty of customers!

I even got kicked out of a dealership for laughing at the salesman and his first offer, his masculinity was so threatened he started screaming at me to leave and chased me all the way to my car. car buying is fun!

I could write a book on how car dealers have tried to screw me over. I think, because I look like a nice guy, I must have stupid stamped on my forehead, they learn the hard painful way.

My favorite experience so far was at Town East Ford in Mesquite, Texas. Went in too buy a new ford F150, they took my keys for the trade in appraisal and never gave them back, I told them I would not deal or talk to them till I got my keys back, the salesman had the balls to tell me NO. I bet they heard my screaming and cussing all the way to Oklahoma, we both threatened to call the cops and when it was all over, the showroom was empty of customers!

I even got kicked out of a dealership for laughing at the salesman and his first offer, his masculinity was so threatened he started screaming at me to leave and chased me all the way to my car. car buying is fun!

I pissed off a salesman so bad he went and found the owner of the dealership (the real owner) who came up to me and said:

"I didn't stay in business 20 years by giving away cars."

ME: "Did you stay in business by watching customers walk out?"

And I did......

Great rant Eric.

I loved how my dad bought cars. After finding the car he wanted he'd ask the salesman what was the lowest price he take for the car. Then after the salesman gave him his BS price, he'd calmly take a small piece of paper out of his pocket and write his name, phone number, and what he'd pay for the car on it, hand it to the salesman and tell him to call him if he'd take that price, then he'd walk away. It was awesome. He usually bought the car for his price within a week.

be

My dad was a lot more cruel. He would ask the dealer's price on the used car.... then take out his checkbook and write a check for the amount he would offer and set the check in front of the guy and then stop talking. I swear it was like this on a nice, clean Corvair the dealer had tagged at $1299 (this was back in 1968)......

My dad writes a check fior $600 and sets it in front of the guy. DEAD SILENCE...

Salesman: "We can't possibly sell it for that."

About 30 seconds go by in dead silence and the salesman starts to sweat.

"You'll have to come up on that offer."

He is still sweating.....

"You can't expect us to sell it for that."

I knew we had him when he said:

"There is no way we will give you the 90 day warranty for that price."

We didn't want the warranty, but he bought the car for $600. I though the salesman was going to have a stroke. The check sitting under his nose was making him so crazy.:cheers:

Edited by bountyhunter

As ron white said, Would you rather spend 2 hrs with a car salesman......or be dragged over some cactus with your mouth over the tail pipe of a bus .........or sandpaper the ass of an allagator in a phone both?..... What was that second one again?

About a year ago I went into the new local Toyota dealer at the end of the year-end close out. I told them right up front that my credit wasn't great, so I'd need help on the sale price to afford the 4 Runner I was looking at. I also made it clear that my Suburban was not for trade as I need the extra room on occasion.

After we settled on a price, I mentioned that I had changed my mind and wanted to trade my Chevy. I also produced a current Blue Book print out showing what I expected to get. After the arguments with the Trade-In manager were completed and I got what I wanted, they ran my application for credit. My score came back at 825 ( OK, I lied, a little :lol: ). At that point I made it very clear that anything other than their 0% offer for "well qualified buyers" would kill the deal.

I did buy one extended warranty option, and that was for the wheels and tires. Those new ones with the internal pressure sensing/reporting systems are expensive!