Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I miss my Dillon

Jeff686

I had to break out my Lee Turret loader last night.

I'm taking a friend to Speed Steel this weekend, and he doesn't have enough mags for his FM HiPower. I offered to let him use my 1911.

Because of this, and also because I need the practice, I decided to use my 686 (38 spcl).

Well, I don't have dies for my Square Deal B for 38 special. I had to break out my Lee Turret (my first press). After some cleaning and maintenance, it was up and running, as slick as snot.

However, 3 pulls per case really sucks! And loading primers one-at-a-time really sucks.

I keep swearing that I'm gonna sell this thing, but I can't. Someday I'm gonna start loading rifle rounds (low-volume) and my SDB won't handle those.

Reasons I love my SDB:

1. Auto index

2. CHEAP - Usually available used by someone upgrading to 550+

3. Zero caliber conversion time - I have one for each of my favorite calibers

4. Reliable - I NEVER have problems I can't easiy fix

I used to think the Lee Turret was really awesome, until I got the SDB.

Now I think the SDB is awesome.

Unless my volumes go way up, I don't see a 550 or 650 in my future...

Edited by Jeff686

I recently went back from a 650 to a SDB (thought I quit shooting, but changed my mind) and actually like it better. Go figure. Priming on the SDB is so much better that I'll take the slower speed that comes with it. The only thing I'll upgrade to is a 1050.

I recently went back from a 650 to a SDB (thought I quit shooting, but changed my mind) and actually like it better. Go figure. Priming on the SDB is so much better that I'll take the slower speed that comes with it. The only thing I'll upgrade to is a 1050.

The truth if I ever heard it.,..... :cheers:

Hello; I kept telling people about the Square Deal B and how great it is. They all said get a 650. I tried a 650 and did not like it as much as the SDB. I ended up selling my SDB after buying a RL1050 because of Merlin. If I loaded less rounds I would get 2 SDB's and a bunch of die setups. They are alot cheaper than 1050 setups ;-). Live on Square Deal B's! Thanks, Eric

The truth if I ever heard it.,..... :cheers:

Hello; I kept telling people about the Square Deal B and how great it is. They all said get a 650. I tried a 650 and did not like it as much as the SDB. I ended up selling my SDB after buying a RL1050 because of Merlin. If I loaded less rounds I would get 2 SDB's and a bunch of die setups. They are alot cheaper than 1050 setups ;-). Live on Square Deal B's! Thanks, Eric

Did some math today. I could do 800 rounds on the 650 and I can do 400 rounds (easily) on the SDB. I shoot about 15K 9mm/year.

That means I would reload 18.75 hours on the 650 vs 37.5 hours on the SDB annually. Or 1.6 hours a month versus 3.2 hours (probably closer to 2.5-3.0) hours with the SDB.

Now add caliber changes to that (on the 650) versus having multiple SDB's setup on your bench.

I don't think I will ever switch to anything else :lol:

A casefeeder for the SDB would be ultimate, but Dillon will never produce one. They would put themselves out of business. You could probably have 1000 rounds/hour on a SDB with casefeeder B), so why bother buying a 1050 that costs 4-5 times as much?

Edited by spook

Hello: I bought my RL 1050 because Merlin has 10 or so ;-). If you ever use a 1050 you will never go back. The 1050 is like a early Porsche 911. You have to drive one to get the idea and appreciate the engineering. Sure a Kia will take you to where you want to go-----maybe. Thanks, Eric

so why bother buying a 1050 that costs 4-5 times as much?

I'd bet the reliability and durability is much greater with a 1050. I don't think the SDB would stand up to that many rounds.

I'd be ecstatic if they have the primer seating on the down-stroke on a SDB...forget the case feeder. ;)

Edited by Irishlad

so why bother buying a 1050 that costs 4-5 times as much?

I'd bet the reliability and durability is much greater with a 1050. I don't think the SDB would stand up to that many rounds.

I'd be ecstatic if they have the primer seating on the down-stroke on a SDB...forget the case feeder. ;)

Yes, but the SDB gets you those nice free parts. 1050 doesn't have the No-BS warrantee :D

I like loading on the SDB and I also like loading on a 1050 (friend of mine has one). I didn't like the two years I spent loading on the 650 one bit.

So if I had to choose between a $1500 1050 and a $350 SDB with a casefeeder that would get me just as many rounds an hour (or close), I would get the SDB. Conversions on a 1050 are as expensive as a complete SDB. I would get SDB's in every caliber I loaded and switch the casefeeder around ;)

Hmm, maybe I need to do some research on converting a 650 casefeeder to a SDB-casefeeder.... B):ph34r:

Sounds like maybe we could have a futer " SDB Case Feeder / Bullet Feeder" build-off challenge ahead???!!! Could be VERY profitable for the winner, because I for one would be near the head of the line-up! :D There is absolutely NO shortage of amazingly talented members at this site... It's only a matter of time before it happens! :bow:

Connor

Edited by Connor

Yes, but the SDB gets you those nice free parts

True, and I've needed a lot of them often. ;)

I'm surprised to read the SDB would be preferred over the 650, etc. I just "assumed" they were better machines...from looking at them, working the handle, etc. Never used one though!!

Save a lot of time if the primers were done on the downstroke...I'm "lobbying". :D

Yes, but the SDB gets you those nice free parts

True, and I've needed a lot of them often. ;)

I'm surprised to read the SDB would be preferred over the 650, etc. I just "assumed" they were better machines...from looking at them, working the handle, etc. Never used one though!!

Save a lot of time if the primers were done on the downstroke...I'm "lobbying". :D

I have owned and loaded on both. I took a break from shooting (a lot) and now that I have returned and also started reloading again, my thoughts about reloading have changed.

I started thinking about why some hate to reload and claim that owning a faster press is better cause you can "spend more time shooting". Well it takes me about 18 minutes to make 150 rounds on a SDB and I will never run into problems, plus I like how smooth and simple the press is. On the 650 it took me over 10 minutes to do the same (if everything went OK, see below). I don't really mind spending an extra whopping 15 minutes a week (we're talking loading for two 150 round sessions, about 1200 rounds of 9mm per month)

The SDB gives me the sense of freedom where I can just start reloading a couple of rounds whenever I feel like it. With the 650 I had to set everything up and "get into a reloading session". With the 650, I had to fill the Casefeeder crank the handle 6 times to get the first primer to station 1 and start loading. After the buzzer went I always had to guess how many primers were left in the disc. It was also more "clunky" than the SDB.

Also, when SHTF, the time I spent solving it nullified the advantage the 650 had over the SDB (time wise). And SHTF a lot more on the 650 than on the SDB. Stuck primers that hung up the disc, powder spills, fumbling with the powder check, case feeder woes, had my first primer pop in the 650 (not funny knowing most press blowups are 650's, because it doesn't separate the primer you're inserting into the case from the other 99 in the tube/disc)

Since I'm one of those guys that makes ammo right before going to the range, it sucks to run into problems with the press, cause you'll miss a training session.

Long story (with a lot of rambling) short: I downgraded from a 650 to a SDB and I really enjoy reloading again :)

If I will start shooting more than 2000/month for one caliber, I will probably upgrade to a 1050. But no more 650's for me.

Edited by spook

spook,

Makes sense and I'm along the same "lines" as you.

In my mind for whatever reason, I'm willing to "load" an hour or less a week for my shooting needs during the week. If it's more time than that, I'd look to upgrade for speed.

I still want them to change their primer seating. :)

Edited by Irishlad

spook,

Makes sense and I'm along the same "lines" as you.

In my mind for whatever reason, I'm willing to "load" an hour or less a week for my shooting needs during the week. If it's more time than that, I'd look to upgrade for speed.

I still want them to change their primer seating. :)

That's about the same amount I would spend reloading.

Changing the primer seating to the downstroke....hmmm, I'll leave that one to you. Converting the 650 case feeder suddenly doesn't sound too difficult anymore ;)