Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Read the directions, understand the directions, then execute the direc

Dave Gundry

My 1st match ever, 3rd qualifier of the day. I guess my minutes of experience in this sport kicked in...

Off Balance Blast (99-39). 3 strings - 1 & 2 call for one shot in each of 3 targets, then a move, then another 1 shot in the same 3 targets. Silly me, I practiced one in each, thought about one in each, but when it was my turn, I decided I should double tap them all on a Virginia count stage :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: . Not just on the first string (5 procedurals), but also on the second string after having laughed at myself on the first string... rattled the squad so bad the next guy did the same thing on his first string :blink: .

Started the first re-shoot the same way... On second the re-shoot, I think I was literally yelling "ONE EACH!!" at myself while shooting.

Another good example of how NOT to do things :unsure::cheers:

Howdy Krautwagen, and et al.,

Congratulations on running through your first match. Things of this nature do happen from time to time. Especially when dealing with the raging tide of juice (adrenaline) running through your system. The fun part is that all of us suffer brain fade from time to time. Welcome to the sport!

A mulligan is the term that seems to apply to what you describe. Those are typically found at the larger matches where you can possibly add to the fun factor by putting money down to help out a train wrecked stage run.

Be well! Keep us posted on new developments!

Cheers!

I feel your pain, Dave. I shot On the Move weekend before last and, for some reason I still cannot explain, I fired THREE make up shots, one on the first string and two on the second. One was to make up a miss that I called and the other two were to make up called C hits. Either way, it cost me dearly. Just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

That's OK we all do it. Shot a 28 round stage Sunday, walked it 5 times counting targets, ran the course, and heard the dreaded call: One FTE, Two mikes.............I was counting the same target twice during my walk through...............What a dumbass!!!

Question. Shot a memory stage at the Western PA Sectional. While I was walking the stages before we started another shooter mentioned having a friend use post-it notes to make sure he saw all the targets. Would that be legal? I know you can't engage any props but what about post it notes?

Thanks,

Bruce

Is that like using training wheels?

Or drag racing with a wheelie bar?

I suppose a 'real man' wouldn't do it that way... But, it was my first match, and trying to get classified along the line of how fast and accurate I actually am, I'm willing to take a mulligan at the expense of my pride. Especially when it's the difference between a 7% and 53% :D

I suppose a 'real man' wouldn't do it that way... But, it was my first match, and trying to get classified along the line of how fast and accurate I actually am, I'm willing to take a mulligan at the expense of my pride. Especially when it's the difference between a 7% and 53% :D

Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning your manliness; I wasn't...I didn't understand the situation correctly and I've never heard of a "mulligan". I am not aware if our club even uses this practice...if you shoot a 7% then that's what you get sent in to USPSA for your classifier. I did not know that you could shoot it again for a better score. I apologize if I offended anyone in an effort to be funny. :mellow:

Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning your manliness; I wasn't...I didn't understand the situation correctly and I've never heard of a "mulligan". I am not aware if our club even uses this practice...if you shoot a 7% then that's what you get sent in to USPSA for your classifier. I did not know that you could shoot it again for a better score. I apologize if I offended anyone in an effort to be funny. :mellow:

None taken. I can easily see how it would be a taboo or shady practice to some. I just thought that's how things were done. I didn't re-shoot the stage that I hit 3 no-shoots on - after all, I shot em, I'll take em. I did reshoot the one that I shot the proper target too many times, and as such, got penalized for it. I understand there's rules to the game, but I'm just looking for a bit of a break... exactly the same break a 50% shooter would get if they shot a 7% on that stage ;) The USPSA would throw out the score from the calculations like it never happened, but, because I am unclassified, AFAIK, the 7% would be counted against me.

I agree with lady in blue, I shot the same coarse as you and I had a terrible run all day except for the final field coarse. I even did the same thing with shooting 2 rounds on the firs target on the first string and lost alot for that mistake. I feels you get what you shot and thats it. I understand if you practice the classifier at your club prior to shooting in a match that is different but shooting it in a match over and over until you get a good score I do not feel is correct.

Just my opinion.

None taken. I can easily see how it would be a taboo or shady practice to some. I just thought that's how things were done. I didn't re-shoot the stage that I hit 3 no-shoots on - after all, I shot em, I'll take em. I did reshoot the one that I shot the proper target too many times, and as such, got penalized for it. I understand there's rules to the game, but I'm just looking for a bit of a break... exactly the same break a 50% shooter would get if they shot a 7% on that stage ;) The USPSA would throw out the score from the calculations like it never happened, but, because I am unclassified, AFAIK, the 7% would be counted against me.

I understand the whole thing about classification and am in the same situation hence why I drove 2.5 hours for this match as well. I just feel you take what your dealt and that is how it goes.

Lately reading the forum here i have seen a preponderance of new people trying to skip over a D classification and become a C right off the bat. There is nothing wrong with being a D shooter. Last year I trophied at the WI sectional in D class. It does not mean you are in any way an inferior competitor. It just means your skill level is less than someone who has been shooting this style of competition for a longer period of time. I have only once reshot a classifier for a better score and that was this year. All the mistakes you are making are typical of a D shooter and you should enjoy shooting against others who are in the same boat you are. I would rather be an upper D than a perpetual C because when you do move up your confidence goes up as well as the feeling of accomplishment that you are getting your act together. Enjoy being a D because it wont last very long and it is the most carefree class there is. B and C class is so big you have to work to win it in a larger match and when you are a D and beat people who are B and C. That will make you feel good. Remember we all started there and in a couple of years newbies will be asking you for advice.

Lately reading the forum here i have seen a preponderance of new people trying to skip over a D classification and become a C right off the bat. There is nothing wrong with being a D shooter. Last year I trophied at the WI sectional in D class. It does not mean you are in any way an inferior competitor. It just means your skill level is less than someone who has been shooting this style of competition for a longer period of time. I have only once reshot a classifier for a better score and that was this year. All the mistakes you are making are typical of a D shooter and you should enjoy shooting against others who are in the same boat you are. I would rather be an upper D than a perpetual C because when you do move up your confidence goes up as well as the feeling of accomplishment that you are getting your act together. Enjoy being a D because it wont last very long and it is the most carefree class there is. B and C class is so big you have to work to win it in a larger match and when you are a D and beat people who are B and C. That will make you feel good. Remember we all started there and in a couple of years newbies will be asking you for advice.

I agree entirely. I just started shooting in mid September and have learned alot in the past 2 months. I shoot with people of all different skill levels on a thursday night informal match night. I shoot with another shooter who has about the same experience and matches under his belt and we just kind of try and one up the other, I do try and do my best to get up to the top shooters level but it is all about learning. I had an awful set of clasifiers on Sunday and even blanked a stage do to a proceeurel or 2. I figured o well I will have plenty of opportunities to shoot more classifiers next year and improve.

I agree with Cooter- take what you shot. After all isn't that what the classification system is all about? We all have those bad matches along with the good matches. It is my opinion that it is taken way too far around here. Not by all by any stretch of the imagination. But there is a select few that reshoot "muligans" at every match. I feel that it effectively "waters down" the classification system. Kinda like "buying" a M or GM card....but then continually getting beat in matches to A and B class shooters. :surprise: I say shoot what you shoot and be proud of your classification. JMHO :closedeyes:

I completely understand where you guys are coming from, but as I said before:

exactly the same break a 50% shooter would get if they shot a 7% on that stage wink.gif The USPSA would throw out the score from the calculations like it never happened, but, because I am unclassified, AFAIK, the 7% would be counted against me.

For those that have shot a few matches, a single screwup like this one doesn't have the same repercussions that it does for us new competitors...

Edited by Krautwagen

I completely understand where you guys are coming from, but as I said before:
exactly the same break a 50% shooter would get if they shot a 7% on that stage wink.gif The USPSA would throw out the score from the calculations like it never happened, but, because I am unclassified, AFAIK, the 7% would be counted against me.

For those that have shot a few matches, a single screwup like this one doesn't have the same repercussions that it does for us new competitors...

Dave I am Unclassified and as such could have shot over and over but would rather just take it as it lies. I blanked the off balance stage due to proceedurels but I just left and went on.

Well I am just saying that the classification system, as I understand it, is meant to be a test of your shooting abilities. Not a practiced or "let me try that agian" type ability. Some clubs out there do not afford shooters this luxury. Because it is deemed legal- some take it too far and abuse the loophole. I feel this should be addressed and closed up to only allow re-shoots for equipment or range failures. Please if I am totally wrong here please explain my indiscretion.

I agree reshoots on the classifier should not happen unless range equipment failures. Hell if your equipment fails thats part of it, get better/more reliable equipment.

On the other hand this was his first match and and he was discussing his screw up not the ranges allowance for reshoots.

I have mental break downs like that, hopefully they are less and less the more I shoot but everybody has them. Finish the stage and shoot the next one, the new stage is a whole new match!

Edited by steel1212

well I was shooting the same match as he was. This was my 3rd match with classifiers. My first match I didn't understand the directions and stepped out of a barricade box with one foot that cost me dearly and blanked the stage. the 2nd match classifier I did allot better on and scored a "B" class score. The rest of those matchs on the field courses I bombed misserably. I then shot the 4 classifier match on Sunday and did terrible. So lets recap I had 1 blank, 1 "b", 3 "D" and another blank. I still did not reshoot any of them and just took it as a learning experience.

On the other hand this was his first match and and he was discussing his screw up not the ranges allowance for reshoots.

Thank you.

Sorry if anybody feels cheated. I didn't know this type of thing was considered taboo. When I did the reshoots, I was shooting with my friend, and the match director(s), who were shooting it for a different division. No one said anything to me that this was not 100% accepted. Before even going to the match, I was looking forward to shooting the match at least twice - just for the fun of it, didn't have to be for score, so I didn't question anyone that said I could shoot any of the stages again.

Looks like I'll be switching divisions anyway, so these classifiers won't matter for now anyway.