Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp for 9 major

Sudden Death

This winter I'am building myself a 9 open just wondering what is the best comp FOR the 9 major, Stainless,Tie, X # of ports, etc. If you guys have any pics of these comps that your going to refer to, please post them for me to see. Thanks for all info.

I used probably 12 different comps on various guns from short to long. The bedell comp works good. The side vents do help with the tork of the gun. The side vents keep the gun recoil straight up and down. I had a titanium bedell comp and the barrel had pop holes. I cut the last side port off then milled 1000th off the right side chamber and the gun was one of the best I have shot. Right now I use a cone comp EGW with 4 ports up and no side ports. I reamed out 1000ths out of the inside right side of the comp and I like this better than any I have used. NO holes in the barrel; no blast but still flat Bought it off of ebay for 10 bucks. Cant do that anymore. If I was building a new gun I would like to have a bull barrel with titanium comp with 4 ports up and designed like bedells, no one makes one that I know of but that is what I would like to have.

Errol Lawson custom makes his comps and they are great. It has side ports as well which do help to stabilize the gun.

As Matt stated, Ti or Stainless, depending on what type of balance is desired. Both of mine are Ti and I love the way the gun feels/handles/shoots. I don't know if he would be willing to sell just the comp because of the amount of work involved versus the profit made. I could ask him though....

EGW has a new comp for 9 major that ws unveiled last night at the range. Wow! I was at the range shooting mild .38 super steel loads and was asked if I wanted to shoot my friends new 9 major open gun with a comp he designed and George built. It seems that there is no torque at all and the dot settled right back on target much faster than my steel loads.

EGW has a new comp for 9 major that ws unveiled last night at the range. Wow! I was at the range shooting mild .38 super steel loads and was asked if I wanted to shoot my friends new 9 major open gun with a comp he designed and George built. It seems that there is no torque at all and the dot settled right back on target much faster than my steel loads.

Where can I see one of these new EGW comps ??? :surprise:

Where can I see one of these new EGW comps ??? :surprise:

Email George at EGW and ask him for photos. I was really impressed. If that does not work PM me and I'll see if I can get you some from the owner.

Mike

Hi All,

thank you for the interest.

Jim Hand (his real name :) ) came in and asked to make up a comp. We were happy to ablidge (sp?)

We started with 1 1/8 diameter not 1 inch stock. We made the back port normal from the bore down so it did not grow a

vent out the guide rod hole.

the next two ports we went deeper, within .060 of a flat bottom we put on to loose weight.

the back we put a chamfer on to not leave a sharp edge where the step up is from the slide.

there is our std 9 port front port which vents to the sides and slightly up but not down.

We made 5 wile we were set up. If Yooz need a photo email me and we will shoot one this week.

or better, We make about 40 comps today. there is always room for improvment so let us know what you want to try, send some

sketches and we can make one up for you.

there are 14 comp picturs on our site for our std 7, 8, 9 port comps.

by the by, anyone know the guy that did the article in front sight on the AR comps?

I would like to get him to test ours.

best regards,

geo

Done more testing with that comp design George mentioned. Seems we may have stumbled into a perfect storm situation where the gun works really really well but since we changed so many things in the comp, top end, 9mm etc, I'm not sure which was/were most important.

Previous post by Mike was a bit premature, first shots thru comp etc., the load was a tad light with a new lot of HS-6 and speed was about 1270 (124 gr). However, good news is that goosing it up a bit to 1350 (10 shot av, Oehler Chrono) didn't change a thing, the comp/top end system is dramatically more effective and shootable (very flat, soft shooting, much reduced torque) vs my super (clone to the new 9 maj) with another well designed and very efficient 4 chamber 6 port comp - not by EGW.

George agreed to put one of the new comps only on my remaining backup super to see what effect it contributes. Should have results before x-mas as I'm headed to the caribbean for some diving. JMH