Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good powder for 9mm and 45 ACP?

midvalleyshooter

I have been using Winchester 231 for many years. It meters well, and the loads are very accurate. The only thing I don't use it in (I have with my 200 grain load) is my .40 Limited gun. I have found N-320 to preform a little better.

My 9 mm 147 grain load is a tad higher than the Winchester catalog recommends for the maximum charge, but it has worked flawless in all my 9's. It has a 144 PF and is soft shooting. Falling plates and poppers don't stand a chance.

In my 45's I loaded the 200, 225, 230, and 240 bullets and have shot everything from steel to bowling pins using 231. It has a very wide range.

231 is not the cleanest powder out there, but you are shooting lead anyway.

Buddy

Edited by buddy_fuentes

I have been using Winchester 231 for many years. It meters well, and the loads are very accurate. The only thing I don't use it in (I have with my 200 grain load) is my .40 Limited gun. I have found N-320 to preform a little better.

My 9 mm 147 grain load is a tad higher than the Winchester catalog recommends for the maximum charge, but it has worked flawless in all my 9's. It has a 144 PF and is soft shooting. Falling plates and poppers don't stand a chance.

In my 45's I loaded the 200, 225, 230, and 240 bullets and have shot everything from steel to bowling pins using 231. It has a very wide range.

Buddy

+2 on the 231.

I use it for 9, 40 & 45. I agree it is not the cleanest. I have been told it is tempature sensitive too.

I also hear VV320 is cleaner and a great performer. But, this also comes at a higher cost.

FWIW, with jacketed bullets (40major) I use Titegroup with very good results. But for lead, moly, and plated I prefer 231

Good luck

:cheers:

Buddy

+2 on the 231.

I use it for 9, 40 & 45. I agree it is not the cleanest. I have been told it is tempature sensitive too.

I also hear VV320 is cleaner and a great performer. But, this also comes at a higher cost.

FWIW, with jacketed bullets (40major) I use Titegroup with very good results. But for lead, moly, and plated I prefer 231

Good luck

+3 on the 231, though Clays would work well also.

The given here is that your bullets are the proper alloy with a good lube........

With lead bullets I start with Unique, and get a good baseline. Consistent enough, accurate, and the least leading you will see with that bullet in that gun. Then I move on to others. Clays is going to feel like a million bucks in your hands, but you will have some leading. If the leading isn't too bad stay with it, it won't get any softer in either caliber. Universal has just as much leading with a more pronounced push. TiteGroup is worse still for leading with the same pronounced push. Bullseye will be soft, and lower the leading a bit, but it will still probably show some leading. Fee;s almost identical to Clays with lead.

You are just going to have to burn some powder to find out what works for you in your gun with that particular lead bullet.

Best.....probably VV 320......my favorite, W 231 by far for accuracy in the 9x19.....then Clays. CLAYS will work well in the .45 and you will be able to shoot minor in the 9x19, but be very careful trying to get up to PF with the 147s....It is a fine line with CLAYS and the 147s...so much so that I wont load it anymore. W231 or Titegroup would be a better choice.

Good luck,

DougC

Keith - This is kinda hard to answer, because we don't know what you want to use it for.

If you're relatively new to reloading, I'd stick with either 231 or Unique of the powders recommended above. With those powders, you can load any 9x19 or .45 ACP bullet weight up to factory velocity (or higher) without exceeding allowable pressures. Additionally, any store that has reloading supplies will have these powders, wheras some of the less common ones would have to be ordered.

I would stay away from Clays (which isn't the same as Universal Clays) because it's a much "faster" powder; you can't get factory velocity within pressure limits, though you can meet the respective power factors with it at the high end of allowable limits if this is your goal. Experienced reloaders like it because it's very clean burning.

Both 231 and Unique will leave much less residue with 9x19 than with .45 ACP, because the 9x19 loads are higher pressure loads and these powders burn more cleanly at higher pressures.

HTH!

• 3 weeks later...

I do not recommend plain Clays for the 9mm with 147 grain bullets. The pressure curve generated by that combo is way too steep. Universal Clays is much more gradual. One of my favorite loads is Hodgdon's book max of 3.3 grains behind the XTP @ 1.1" OAL. Is is very accurate and kicks like a 22.

But if forced to use one powder for both calibers, I would use Unique.

Thanks everyone, I decided to use two different powders :rolleyes: I have been using Unique with 147 grain lead bullets in 9mm and really like it. As for 45, Clays is the most accurate.

Keith

Good choices and to add a couple that I did not see mentioned that will work well in 9mm & 45 acp.

Bullseye, Winchester WST. As is true when using any heavy bullet, especially jacketed, start low and work up.

Bullseye is often overlooked, but it is an excellent, consistent powder and has proven to be one of the all time most accurate, target load powders for most straight wall case rounds. Yeah, I know but you have to clean guns anyway sooner or later!

WST is a real sleeper too. Not a lot of cross reference data, so it is not for the inexperienced. It is clean, feels soft, meters incredibly well.

Bottom line is that there are a number of very good powders out there for target load accuracy work with either lead or jackets. One could use what was used 30-40 years ago, W231, BE, UNIQUE, 700X and others and do fine.

I think we like to tinker and of course we are all in search of the magic combination. I have found the magic combintion. Sights and trigger! Now if I could just remember that and apply it EVERYTIME, then I would be amazed how much more accurate my load just got.

MJ :cheers:

My favorite for both is Power Pistol.

Clark:

Is there anything to watch out for when loading 45 ACP with Power Pistol? I use Power Pistol for my 9mm and 38 Special loads now and have been pleased with it. I am planning on picking up a 1911 in the next few months and would like to load standard velocity 230gr FMJs for it using Power Pistol. I plan to work up to Alliant's published maximum load of 7.2 grains.

Just wondering,

Allan

My favorite for both is Power Pistol.

Clark:

Is there anything to watch out for when loading 45 ACP with Power Pistol? I use Power Pistol for my 9mm and 38 Special loads now and have been pleased with it. I am planning on picking up a 1911 in the next few months and would like to load standard velocity 230gr FMJs for it using Power Pistol. I plan to work up to Alliant's published maximum load of 7.2 grains.

Just wondering,

Allan

Power Pistol is a forgiving powder.

Too much powder and it blows a fireball out the muzzle.

Unlike AA#5, too much of that and the extractor blows out the ejection port.

I carry 12 gr Power Pistol behind 152 gr in a 45acp

I carry 10 gr Power Pistol behind 110 gr in 7.62x25mm

I carry 11 gr Power pistol behind 158 gr in a 9x19

I carry 6 gr power Pistol behind 90 gr in a small 380

I carry 6.8 gr Power Pistol behind 71 gr in 32acp

I carry 8.5 gr power pistol behind 158 gr in a large 380

I carry 16 gr Power pistol behind 158 gr in a 9x23

I carry 6 gr Power Pistol behind 50 gr in a 25acp

For 10mm, 40sw, and 32 Colt long, I use 800X

For 357 mag and 38 sp I use LIL'GUN

for 45 Colt and 44 mag I use H110

• 4 weeks later...

Buddy

+2 on the 231.

Good luck

+4 on the W231

Buddy

+2 on the 231.

Good luck

+4 on the W231

Just to throw another opion in the mix i have 2 loads that i use

700x- 4.7 gr 200 gr cast bullett (mild recoil)

Unique- 6 gr 200gr cast (is a little snappy but tolerable)

I have found W231 to be a little recoil heavy for my taste.....

Solo 1000

WST

WSF

VV320 - if you like your powder expensive

Solo 1000 will work well.

Clark - Power Pistol is a terrible suggestion. THe OP presumably posts here because he competes. Thus, he is loading just past Power Factor. Power Pistol will not burn completely at such low levels in .45 and 9mm. In addition, it will kick like hell compared to other powders and will likely cause him to LOSE. He did not ask about 9mm Major (for which P P will work well - I have tried it with the 124 CMJ Montana from an SJC).

Solo 1000

WST

WSF

VV320 - if you like your powder expensive

Solo 1000 will work well.

Clark - Power Pistol is a terrible suggestion. THe OP presumably posts here because he competes. Thus, he is loading just past Power Factor. Power Pistol will not burn completely at such low levels in .45 and 9mm. In addition, it will kick like hell compared to other powders and will likely cause him to LOSE. He did not ask about 9mm Major (for which P P will work well - I have tried it with the 124 CMJ Montana from an SJC).

How do you get solo 1000 load data for 9 mm ? From Accurate web site, it seems to be only for 45 acp. Thanks!