Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Shotgun, or?

outerlimits

got one of those yard long nordic tubes and while practicing reloads (great idea btw to have a removable end cap), i was stuffing from homemade 6 & 5 round sticks. and with the new 8 round sticks, i can't see how any RO is going to know when someone loads more than 10+1. so the question is, why does uspsa have appendix D1 #9? it's supposed to be open, not limited 10.

and yes, i do have a plug for uspsa matches...

Well the RO's keep track of 10+1 in pistols all the time here in hawaii, and issue penalties, not to mention it's a felony here, so I dont imagine it would be much harder with a Shotgun. But I agree open should be open.

got one of those yard long nordic tubes and while practicing reloads (great idea btw to have a removable end cap), i was stuffing from homemade 6 & 5 round sticks. and with the new 8 round sticks, i can't see how any RO is going to know when someone loads more than 10+1. so the question is, why does uspsa have appendix D1 #9? it's supposed to be open, not limited 10.

and yes, i do have a plug for uspsa matches...

Well, if you have a tube that is waaaaay past the end of the barrel.. that might be a sign.

Or if the gun goes bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang that would be a sign.

:blush:

Tube length would be a good guide, but not the perfect solution. As for tube length being an indicator, it's all relative to barrel length. My 10 round tube on my Remmy is about at the muzzle. My 15 round tube is about 8-12" past. Still not in the realm of silly compared to some. My 10+1 tube on my Benelli is past the muzzle about 6". So it's perception relative to barrel length.

After hearing the news of the SMM3G this year, IF I go to this match again (as it seems to have taken a decline since the departure of El Furbee) I'll be packin' both shotties to see which will work better for the match designed.

Rich

Tube length would be a good guide, but not the perfect solution. .

Oh I agree, it is just a guide. If I see a 26" barrel and a tube that is 4-8" past it, I always ask the shooter about capacity.

Could they lie? Sure. However, it is a starting point. If I get a less-than-100%-honest answer I can always pay attention to how many shellls are getting stuffed into it. Knowing the stage and targets, round count, etc.. would all play into knowing the shooter is adding more than they should.

So it's perception relative to barrel length.

Rich

Right on, the RO needs to BE perceptive!

Edited by maineshootah

While the tube length on a gun may suggest or even make it obvious that the tube could hold more than the division legal limit, remember it could also be plugged to prevent too many rounds from being loaded.

• 2 weeks later...