Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a powder is making my head spin! Help!

condoor

I'm a new member and reloader and I've been searching for a week or so off and on and I'm still unclear whether there is one load that is better than another one.

I'm looking for a clean shooting 9mm load that I can reliably make Minor shooting MasterBlaster 115g Moly coated bullets. Also - you don't usually see load data for moly bullets - do I look at the load data for lead or plated or what.

THANKS!

I'm a new member and reloader and I've been searching for a week or so off and on and I'm still unclear whether there is one load that is better than another one.

I'm looking for a clean shooting 9mm load that I can reliably make Minor shooting MasterBlaster 115g Moly coated bullets. Also - you don't usually see load data for moly bullets - do I look at the load data for lead or plated or what.

THANKS!

What type of gun are you shooting this out of?

In general, you can use the same load data for lead.

There is one load that is better than another one. Mine is better than someone else's. That smart aleck answer was meant joking but the reality is you have to develop your load for you, your bullets, your gun, & your wallet. There are ranges of lengths you can load, variances in powder weights, & of course these things all work in conjunction with your glock 19. The load that works well in my g 17 might not work so well in your gun. Then there is the issue of what you call a clean load. Just more things to make your head spin. That is the good & the bad of reloading.

Now, if I loaded for a 115gr bullet, which I don't, I would look in the vihta vouri load manual & pick out a starting load for a 115gr lead bullet. Since I prefer 3n37 powder, I would look first for a load that fit these parameters--115 lead, v.v.3n37. V.V. powder burns very clean, at least in my guns with my loads.

I do load a 124gr plated bullet(which also loads to lead data). I do that with 5.7gr of 3n37 & I load them a little longer than the book shows but not so long as to not run in my magazines. You lose a little speed with a longer load but you reduce pressure more. So, for me, I load every different caliber as long as I can to still fit in my mags. If I need a little more velocity, I will up the powder or if they don't feed well, I'll shorten them up a bit.

One thing most reloaders do when they first start loading is find a powder where they can get the most rounds from a pound of powder. I disagree with this approach, although I did it when I started. To get the same velocity from less powder, the powder is a "faster" powder. This builds pressure faster which can have disastrous results. It also leaves lots of room in the brass for a double charge which again, leads to bad things happening. v.v.3n37 is not a real fast powder & it is bulky enough a double charge in most calibers will be quite evident.

There, for what it is worth, are most of my theories on reloading. Now, you can see why my ammo is better than someone else's :rolleyes::blink: MLM

THANKS!

Condoor,

For what it's worth, I'm in your shoes. I looked at charts and read web forums for weeks, agonizing over several decisions. I finally decided to pick a very popular powder that has a lot of posted data. It's worked well for me so far, but it's also giving me time to do more research and find that elusive "better load."

Also for what it's worth, I ordered a batch of Precision bullets. My understanding is that they are similar to MaterBlasters. I asked the folks at Precision what powder they use. The answer they gave me confirmed much of my prior research.

As a new reloader, I really don't feel comfortable dishing out load data. However, I'd say you could or even should call or email the people (person?) at MasterBlaster and see if they have load data to share, or at least a preferred powder to start.

Good luck!

Condoor,

For what it's worth, I'm in your shoes. I looked at charts and read web forums for weeks, agonizing over several decisions. I finally decided to pick a very popular powder that has a lot of posted data. It's worked well for me so far, but it's also giving me time to do more research and find that elusive "better load."

Also for what it's worth, I ordered a batch of Precision bullets. My understanding is that they are similar to MaterBlasters. I asked the folks at Precision what powder they use. The answer they gave me confirmed much of my prior research.

As a new reloader, I really don't feel comfortable dishing out load data. However, I'd say you could or even should call or email the people (person?) at MasterBlaster and see if they have load data to share, or at least a preferred powder to start.

Good luck!

Thanks Cavediver-

I emailed MasterBlaster a couple days ago and I emailed Precision this morning, but haven't heard back from either. I'd be interested in hearing what Precision told you. Shoot me an email if you don't mind and I'll verify the data and of course - load at my own risk. homes@matrixre.com

Masterblaster's site recomments Ramshot Competition (which is a shotgun powder and I can't find load data for a 115g 9mm) and Vihta Viourta, which is more money than I want to spend, and load data for the 124 and 147 but not the 115. I probably screwed up ordering the 115g, as it seems that they are harder to load to make minor than 124 or 147 but I have 3K+ that I need to find a good load for. I've read in several places that WST is a good powder for moly, but I can't find load data for 9mm for it. I may just try Titegroup or 231 and see how it does, but I've heard that they are both smokey with Moly (ouch - head spinning again). :blink:

I figured someone else has been through the same thing as me and was hoping for a 'this is the schnizzle 9mm 115g load' or somethign like that. :cheers:

mlmiller1,

I liked reading your post.

I kinda fell on HP38 while looking for a powder. it seems ok to me for 9mm.

I wanted a bigger volume of powder for knowing double charge

and I figured any volume errors would have less overall error.

I started on clays for comparison purposes....

I still want to know how one can pick a particular powder for a particular use.

your view is; use a powder that is close to filling the case?

or that a double charge is a full case?

miranda

Something to keep in mind about a minor 9mm load for 115 grn bullets: whatever powder you choose will probably "work" and will be safe.

How can I say that?

Because there are folks on this site pushing 115s all the way to major (excess of 1440 FPS) safely, but you only need to meet minor.

Ramshot competition would be fine for minor. So would HP-38 or Win 231. Anything from V V will make it.

Personally, I would stop at the local trap club and pick up some Solo 1000. But rest assured, whatever powder you pick will work fine. Load up & concentrate on the shooting.

Something to keep in mind about a minor 9mm load for 115 grn bullets: whatever powder you choose will probably "work" and will be safe.

How can I say that?

Because there are folks on this site pushing 115s all the way to major (excess of 1440 FPS) safely, but you only need to meet minor.

Ramshot competition would be fine for minor. So would HP-38 or Win 231. Anything from V V will make it.

Personally, I would stop at the local trap club and pick up some Solo 1000. But rest assured, whatever powder you pick will work fine. Load up & concentrate on the shooting.

Hey Thanks Carlos -

Question though - where do I find 9mm load data for Ramshot Competition? Ramshot only lists it as a shotgun powder.

thx!

Chris

From masterblaster website....http://www.masterblastersbullets.com/page6.html

9MM / 122 G.---load with 4.6 to 4.7 grains of Ramshot Competition or Vit. 320 will yield 125 to 130 PF. Great minor load for steel, or plinking.

Seems Ramshot Competition and V320 have the similar burn rate, so if you find load data for V320 should be similar. Start out 10~15% lower and work your way up.

Also, found this from ramshot.com....Ramshot Burn Rates Comparison

BTW, I use WSF for my 115/124/125 9mm minor loading. I also use it for 40S&W and 45ACP.

Edited by HoMiE

mlmiller1,

I liked reading your post.

I kinda fell on HP38 while looking for a powder. it seems ok to me for 9mm.

I wanted a bigger volume of powder for knowing double charge

and I figured any volume errors would have less overall error.

I started on clays for comparison purposes....

I still want to know how one can pick a particular powder for a particular use.

your view is; use a powder that is close to filling the case?

or that a double charge is a full case?

miranda

Glad you enjoyed the post. I wish I had been more helpful to the guy. I agree about the volume. Small volume, high pressure, fast powders can get people in trouble. Especially new reloaders. You are also correct, if you have 2/10 of a grain variation on a 5.7gr charge, that isn't a high percentage but if you have 2/10 on a 3.8gr load, the percentage is much greater. Pressure spike, kaboom!

Now if you are using regular clays, I'd like to warn you about that powder a little bit. It seems to be especially temperature sensitive. Load in the cold, shoot in the heat, your velocity is way up, pressure also. That is true in .40s especially & also in .45. I'm not sure about in the 9s but I suspect it probably is the same.

I chose the V.V. because of recommendations from several folks about it not being temperature sensitive, not positional sensitive, & has decent volume to avoid double charges. If I use brand matched brass, my variations in speed at the chrono stay within 10-15fps. Hot, cold, whatever. Never a chrono problem. For me, in my guns, the v.v. is accurate, also. Possibly because of the consistency in pressure. It is also fairly clean & I have used it for 9mm, 40, & 45. I have loads for it for 38 also. I've made major power loads in 9mm with it with minimum flattening of primers. For me, even with the cost, it works. I just scrimp on costs somewhere else. It isn't that much more when you buy in bulk.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM or email me. :-) MLM

Well, that could be a difficult combination. With the shorter barrel and light bullet, you will have to use a fast burning powder to get minor PF. The fast burning powers have a tendency to smoke a lot with the Poly coated bullets. Hodgdon has data on line. They had loads with lead using TG, Universal, WSF, Longshot, Clays, HS-6, HP-38, and 231. All but the Clays makes minor PF at (around 1100 fps) at the max load area. TG will smoke for sure. Clays probably will too, and it will be tough to make pf with it. I haven't heard a lot of good about 231, and nobody that I know of is using Longshot. So, If it was me, I would try Universal, WSF, and HS-6.

Most of the M&P shooters (same length barrel as a Glock 19) are sticking with the heavier bullets. It seems to be easier to make pf with them out of the shorter barrel, and seems to open up other powder options (like 7625).

Work your loads up slowly and plan on lots of time over a chrono. Sometimes you just gotta buy a pound of 3 or 4 different powders and try out different stuff till you find what works for you. Good luck.

I was in the same situation as a new reloader and spent a lot of time sifting through conflicting powder advice. I reload 125gr black moly bullets in 9mm too.

I finally just opted for UNIQUE. I originally picked the powder because it is bulky and well documented for many loads. But after two pounds of it I decided I liked it enough to buy another 8lbs. I thought I might switch over to titegroup but comments about smoking w/ molys from some and the fact I like my current loads just fine made we stick with UNIQUE.

With just a few thousand rounds loaded i'm still new so take the advice for what it's worth.

So I picked up a pound of titegroup yesterday. Figure I'll try a few batches with that and see how I like it and go from there.

Never used it with moly bullets but it's a good powder for what I use it for (9mm/115grzero's)

Tight Group for everything. :)

(9mm, 124g molly, 4.0g, 1.135oal, 130pf) Glock 17, stock

(.40, 180g molly, 4.6g, 1.18oal, 175pf) 5in SV, Shueman AET

(.45, 230g molly, 4.2, 1.26oal, 175pf) 5in 1911, Nowlin

Not only can you load everything with it, it is almost dirt cheap!

I went through this too when i was looking for a load for my xd Tactical 9mm. The powder I ended up with, was Powerpistol. This was one of the few powders that would easily make minor with any bullet weight I used. Some complain that this powder gave more of a flash in a dark room, and was louder then others. Neither of them problems effected me. The powder burned clean, made power factor easily, recoiled normally, and there was never any pressure signs. The Military has loaded over 1 billion 9mm rounds with this powder, so It is almost like it was made for the 9mm. There was never any noticeable smoke from my Master blaster bullets, so this was also a plus. I am now using this for my new limited gun in 40 s&w, but only until I run out of it. My quest will then begin again for the best 40 powder. Good luck in your search. What attributes are inportant to YOU, not any one else will be your guide.