Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Varget Super 1050 Metering Issues

Having trouble getting Varget to meter with any degree of precision that is acceptable.

Further I am getting drop tube bridging and the powder check is going haywire half the time is largely useless with Varget.

I am loading 23.5 on one load and 26.2 on another. The larger load is nearly a compressed load, and I am getting bridging in the neck of the case as well.

Some tips or tricks would be appreciated, but I think I want to just switch to a more granular type powder...

I am loading 223 55 FMJ and 77 Match Kings....and I want to use the same powder for both. I am not interested in complicating my operation using a second powder.

What say YOU?

Do a search for Tom Freeman's solution. He gives good directions and solved my problems, basically, polish til shiny.

So your suggesting that the 1500 dollar piece of equipment I just purchased requires modification in order to work properly?

Perhaps I ought to send the parts to Dillon for repair?

I appreciate your suggestion, but do you really think that is acceptable?

It would seem that the equipment should work properly with one of the more popular powders on the market.

I would use Accurate Arms 2520 for loading a wide range of 223 bullets with only one powder type. It's a spherical powder that measures well and has a history of match grade accuracy.

Stick-type rifle powders (Varget included) are a challenge to measure consistently with any brand of volume powder measure.

It's not impossible, just more work. You would fight bridging even if weighing each varget charge then pouring it into the 223 case through a typical funnel. That's reality of loading long-grain powder into cases with small diameter necks.

I would use Accurate Arms 2520 for loading a wide range of 223 bullets with only one powder type. It's a spherical powder that measures well and has a history of match grade accuracy.

Stick-type rifle powders (Varget included) are a challenge to measure consistently with any brand of volume powder measure.

It's not impossible, just more work. You would fight bridging even if weighing each varget charge then pouring it into the 223 case through a typical funnel. That's reality of loading long-grain powder into cases with small diameter necks.

Thanks....

Much more desirable than modifying a brand new piece of equipment....

The typical "mods" for stick powder are just tapering and polishing the powder funnel interior and some polishing inside the powder measure. It's not that much work and varget does have an advantage over most spherical powders; less velocity variation with temperature change. I wouldn't give up so easy especially staring at a jug or 2 of varget, but AA2520 is also a good choice.

Edited by 1911user

It is not the Dillon it is the powder that you chose. Varget is a great powder and I use it for several loads. But no powder dropper is impervious to large stick powder making a bridge once in awhile. I also have a Harrell powder drop, The best made at over $300 just for the measure and guess what Varget will hang up there also. So either polish away or choose a different powder.

Do you shoot all of your guns box stock?? Tweaking is part of the game, And there are many on the 1050s, You will soon find out.\

Hoofy gave you great advice and the place to solve your problem

I load 223 with Varget on my Super 1050. One key is using larger power bar, not small. I still have an occasional powder spill but nothing crazy.

One day I'll polish the funnel like Tom suggests. :)

I couldn't even throw more than 22gr with the small bar...switched to the large bar after the initial setup...

I know about the after market micrometer bolt replacement for the powder bar...but does anyone make tricked out powder bars as well

I still think its a bit ridiculous to have to immediately modify a new piece of equipment...but what the heck else can I do...

Thanks

Try "bumping" the press on both the upstroke and the down stroke. I.e., when you come up "bump" the lever and when you come down to the bottom of the arc "bump" the handle again. I do this and get less than .2 variation with Varget and none with BL-C(2).

• 5 months later...

I can't get VARGET to meter and drop worth a damn in .223. I switched over to BLC-2 and then Ramshot Extermninator (ball powder) no issues now.

Varget drops OK when loading .308 and 45/70 in a 550 but other than that it is not the greatist.

• 1 year later...