Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Celebration In Baghdad

Vince Pinto

What an unbelievably fantastic scene I just witnessed on TV!

Iraqi citizens flooding into the streets of central Baghdad to celebrate their newly-found freedom. The joy on their faces says it all. No more fear. No more repression.

Liberty!

This came at a cost, a high cost, but I can't even begin to imagine the cost of inaction.

God bless those who, despite massive public opinion against them, had the courage of their convictions to do what had to be done. And to the troops and innocent civilians who made the ultimate sacrifice, rest in peace knowing that you did not give your lives in vain.

As Theodore Roosevelt once said:

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out where the strong man stumbled, or where a doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and who comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause.

The man who at best knows the triumph of high achievement and who at worst, if he fails, fails while daring greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold timid souls who never knew victory or defeat."

I think the US Government shot those videos somewhere in Israel to make the world think that the Iraqi's are celebrating....because, as you know.....they never wanted to be liberated. It's all propaganda to get their oil.....:wacko:

Scuse me while I go harvest my canabis plants.....

Vince,

Isn’t it great! I’m reminded of one line from the Statue of Liberty “… yearning to be free…”

On a personal note, how are you coping with the SARS epidemic? From what I read it must be frightening to be in your corner of the world. And with children…

I’m sure this entire forum joins me in wishing you and yours a “safe journey” through this dark time.

Ed

PS The TR quote is one of my all time favorites! “…fails while daring greatly…” That’s right there with “My head is bloodied but unbowed”.

Vince,

I don't really believe there was "massive public opinion against them," certainly not in the US. The American media has, as usual, built this up to be more than it is. A few days before the hostilities began, on the front page of the Tacoma New Tribune, we were treated to the huge headline, "Millions March For Peace." Now, let's think about that for a picosecond. There are supposedly, what, 300 million people in the US? That would mean that one out of every 150 people in the United States was out marching against the war on that day. I don't think so. I've heard of idiotic, lying "news" reportage before, but anyone with two brain cells to rub together could take one look at that and KNOW it's a lie.

Kind of makes me wonder if all the Vietnam era protests we've heard so much about were really all they were cracked up to be, as well.

Ed,

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes. Basically we're doing just fine here, but we spend as little time outside as possible. Virtually all of the deaths have been elderly or people who were suffering from other ailments, so we're a low risk group except I'm concerned about becoming a possible carrier with young kids around.

When we do go out, the vehicular and pedestrian traffic is half the usual for Hong Kong, and 70% of the people who are outside are wearing surgical masks. It's surreal; I expect to see George Clooney and the rest of the cast of "ER".

Duane,

Don't get me started. My head's about to explode.

As usual, I watched Donald Rumsfeld on CNN tonight and that guy deserves a medal for his unbelievable patience with the media. Coalition forces have, in just 3 weeks, brought freedom to a people who've been oppressed for +20 years, so it's no surprise to anyone with half a brain that there's bound to be a lot of pent up anger and frustration being released, primarily against symbols of the old regime.

Just imagine: 50% of the Iraqi population is under 20, so half the population don't even know what the hell freedom means until now.

However the Press just can't get with the program and they continually highlight problems such as looting, as if they were the only ones who know about it. It's just unbelievable. Of course I expect the looting will be under control within another day or two, but the Press have just got to focus on the bad stuff for as long as they can.

If I were Don Rumsfeld, I'd probably call in the Marines to liberate me from the stupid questions in the Pentagon briefing room.

OK, OK, I'll take my happy pills now ...........