Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Airsoft guns

gunner40sw

I am looking for info on these Sv airsoft guns I see advertisved.  Can anyone who has one give me as much info about them that they can.  Like does the slide actually move back and forth, how do they feel in your hand, weight and composition, what powers them and so on.  Any info would be great.

Thanks  Tom

I shot a Beretta version last week.  It was heavy like a Beretta and the slide cycled, same operating controls.  Some of the other ones that were also being shot at the time weren't doing so hot.  Didn't feel much at all like shooting a regular gun and they are as expensive to shoot as real ammo.

The Japanese like them because they are the closest so far to real guns but I quite frankly thing they're a waste of money.

Hey John, thanks for the heads up on the cost issue.  I've been interested in the airsofts for quite some time.  And that was one big question I hadn't seen answered.  

I've got a range here at the house and a Colt Ace to help keep costs down, so maybe I can take the Airsoft off my list of needs.

"That's pretty tough talk for a one-eyed fat man"  - Lucky Ned Pepper.

My opinion's a tad different.. I have the Glock 18 version and think it's great.  The Glock weighs about the same as the real model, and recoils like a weak .22.  I've played with the STI race-gun versions and if I had spare cash and nowhere convenient to live-fire, I'd get one pronto.

it's about $10/1000 rounds if you use the made-for-airsoft gas.  Duster gas cuts it to around $6/1K.

IMO, airsoft is an alternative for those like Vince where laws are restrictive.  Otherwise, I think dry fire practice with your actual weapon would be far more beneficial than airsoft type shooting.

Shred,

That's the cheapest I've ever heard.

I guess if I had absolutely no alternative, I'd get one but they're about as satisfying as shooting a cheap squirt gun.  I find the .22 adapter for my 1911 a better alternative to centerfire steel shooting.  The air soft shoots like a gun that shoots slow plastic balls, which of course is what it's doing.  

Those are internet mail-order prices (all we can get around here anyway).  Also if you're going to look at Airsofts, stay away from the cheap gunshow spring-operated ones and get a nice gas operated blow-back model.  There's a whole world of difference.  It's like night (a cheap gun shooting slow plastic balls) and day.  

• 1 year later...

I just won a M92FS air soft gun at Area 6 last week. It is made by KWC. It shoots good but the gas charge only last about two magazines. It doesn't seem to get a good charge, gas escapes out the nozzle when I charge the mag.

Has anyone had any experience with this model?

How expensive is this model?

Where can I get the gas and how much does it cost?

Thanks,

KWC isn't a very good brand. It looks like it's worth about $50 on ebay.

I don't know how many BBs fit in your mags, but 2.5-3 mags per fill is probably normal. Remember that the gas is cold when you fill the mag, so you'll get more pressure if you let it warm up a bit before you shoot. If you shoot slowly (where's the fun in that) you'd also get more shots per fill.

I got one SV replica.

The weight is pretty similar with a regular pistol, but most of the weight comes from the mag.

Mine has been reliable after I did some work on it : Polishing mag feed lips, barrel ramp and chamber, trimmed the safeties.

Damn', It looks like what I do on my real pistols :D

The nice thing is that you can buy accessories really nice. I bought a replica of a Smoking Hole three sided slide made out of aluminium and put a fiber optic EGW FS.

That thing is great for fun, but I'm not sure it would be a valuable training tool, bullet trajectory is not really predictable.

gunner40sw,,,I have a Wetsern Arms version of the SVI. I have upgraded it with a high flow valve, stringer mainspring and metal slide. I did this so the gun would shoot at higher velocities using Green Gas. I found that at standard velocity, the BB was too slow to shoot moving side to side.

They work great. It's good for practicing sight picture (I also replaced the front site to match my IPSC gun) draw and first shot, trigger prep, shooting on the move etc. It will not help with timing or recoil control.

It's the same size and fit of the real steel...bit lighter than the stock SVI but close enough to be usefull practice

Check out www.airsoftextreme.com

I purchased a G18c. I use for Ipsc practice, shooting courses of fire in the garage.

Stay away from the spring or electric versions, its the gas blow backs that are closer to the real thing.

Shooting airsoft has helped me with shooting on the move and site picture.

But it has its limits. Even with the modifications I have done to my G22 (the real one) the airsoft gun has a lighter trigger pull than the G22 I shoot IPSC.

I try not to get to dependent on the Airsoft for that reason.

Its still alot of fun. :lol: