Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honor over Money

spook

How did he step up to anything?? He was pissed because he wasn't getting enough money so he took his football and went home. He got KOed 2 times by Chuck and wants more money??? The last bunch of fights have proven that any given day any fighter can get his A$$ whipped.

Well, I know Fedor turned down a large sum offered by Zuffa, because he still wanted to do his Sambo-matches.

Randy walked away not only because of his UFC paycheck, but also because he was being lied to by Zuffa management/Dana, plus he figured that he would never face Fedor in the UFC Octagon.

Dana blew it big time and Fedor and Randy acted accordingly. I like that :)

It might also like it because I think Dana White is kind of an asshat :D

Zuffa should fire White and replace him with Randy. Or, since Dana loves to talk about what a fine boxer he was in yester-year, and they are near the same age....maybe let them fight for Dana's job :cheers:

Might be the best idea I've heard all day.

Chris C.

Zuffa should fire White and replace him with Randy. Or, since Dana loves to talk about what a fine boxer he was in yester-year, and they are near the same age....maybe let them fight for Dana's job :cheers:

Great idea! :lol:

Or, since Dana thinks Fedor is way overrated, he could fight HIM instead B)

I agree with Spook, however, I still see this as a huge loss for any MMA fan.

Agreeed, but I think Randy will be back sometime, somewhere.

I'm not sure what Zuffa is making, but it's hard to believe the top guys in the sport are only making $250K a fight. That's chump change for top boxers - and boxing's popularity seems on the decline while MMA is now huge.

Sounds to me like Zuffa is greedy and not sharing the $ with the fighters. That makes fertile ground for a competing organization that treats the fighters better. The challenge is that the UFC makes the fighters sign an exclusive contract. What that means is that they can't fight anywhere else until the contract term expires.

In White's interview, he kept saying that Randy would not fight somewhere else, "because he's still under contract with the UFC." Until fighters have enough leverage to refuse to sign exclusive deals, then the UFC will continue to own them.

Edited by chp5

Chuck made $500K, on the record for his loss to Jardine. Jardine made $14K. The entire rest of the event card total, made what Chuck made.

$14k is crappy pay for a guy in the top 20 in the division. Zuffa must be greedy as hell.

MMA is still a fringe sport. How many states actually sanction it? I'm sure Zuffa is making some serious money. Boxing you hear about the big paypay but there are a lot of guys fighting for peanuts. MMA is big in Japan and popular with a segment of the US population maybe in a few years it will be big but not right now. Hell pro wrestling gets better numbers.

As far as Fedor being overrated I'd agree. He was good in Pride but so was Cro Cop and Shogun and we saw what happened to them in the last couple fights. They get a 3 or 4 win streak and built up to be unbeatable.....until some new kid comes along and knocks their ass out.

Here's another take on it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-c...o&type=lgns

Me thinks the Yahoo article has a totally different tone than the Sherdog article.

Getting paid in MMA is probably like getting paid shooting. The actual prize from the match is usually dwarfed by the money potential from teaching/training of others, product endorsements, etc.

Look at Burkett. I think it is safe to say that the prizes from matches that he has entered is dwarfed by the $$$ he gets from his videos, classes and other training shooting related stuff.

Randy walked away not only because of his UFC paycheck, but also because he was being lied to by Zuffa management/Dana, plus he figured that he would never face Fedor in the UFC Octagon.

i like randy...but he should have thought of that stuff before he signed his contract. walking out on a contract isn't honorable.

To me, the contract was nullified as soon as Dana started lying to him.

+2

Totally against the way I normally try to rationalize and be objective but:

Take a look at Randy, then take a look at Dana...

Dana White is an A$$hat, Randy walked because he had grown tired of Dana's lies and other crap. Who woldn't be mad about making less money than someone who lost, while wearing the belt of a champion. But what a lot people have lost sight of is that Randy walked away the Heavy Weight Champion. He is a legend in the MMA sports and is supposeldy moving on to an acting career (however short lived that will be). I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Randy back in the ring, in another capacity. Or maybe even popping up over on WEC or some other MMA TV show.

I just saw Ken Shamrock was on TV the other night coaching a guy in another fighting style.

It's all about the money. He signed a contract that he agreed to then he got pissed because somebody was paid more??? I guess he should have negotiated better! I'm sure he made some good bucks, walked away on top before his age caught up to him(he is what 44-45 now) and in the typical look at me mtv style made some press and got a bunch of people talking about it. His name recognition goes up and he can get more money in a couple d grade movies and speaking sessions. This is looking more and more like pro wrestling all the time. The evil owner screws the champ and millions of people watch. He retired after Chuck ko'ed his butt, makes the big comeback and goes out on top. Maybe him and Hulk Hogan can do a reality show together on MTV???

It's all about the money. He signed a contract that he agreed to then he got pissed because somebody was paid more??? I guess he should have negotiated better! I'm sure he made some good bucks, walked away on top before his age caught up to him(he is what 44-45 now) and in the typical look at me mtv style made some press and got a bunch of people talking about it. His name recognition goes up and he can get more money in a couple d grade movies and speaking sessions. This is looking more and more like pro wrestling all the time. The evil owner screws the champ and millions of people watch. He retired after Chuck ko'ed his butt, makes the big comeback and goes out on top. Maybe him and Hulk Hogan can do a reality show together on MTV???

Just because the lies to Randy were about his salary doesn't mean he left because of his salary... He didn't ask the UFC for more. He left.... because he was lied to (yes, about his salary).

You think it's about the money?

UFC makes between 25 and 30 million $ a show and the combined income of all fighters is not even 1 million $. Guess who the greedy bastards are?

Yeah, you're probably right. It IS all about the money :rolleyes:

If it wasn't about the money then why the hell would he even ask??? Sorry to gore your sacred cow but it is a pro sport and it is all about the money. If he was fighting for the love of fighting or some other silly assed reason then he wouldn't care would he? In this case he wanted more money because somebody was making more than him, I'm sure if UFC said ok here is a bug bag of money he would still be there. It amazes me that people actually believe these guys do it for the love of the sport....BS. Every pro out there in any sport goes where the best pay check comes from. They have a finite number of years and try to make the most money they can. This is 2007 not 1970 sports.

Don't be sorry. You're not goring sacred cows here.

I guess it's just a matter of the glass being half full or half empty.

Everything that ends up in the media can be explained twofold. One of those explanations has my preference. The other one has yours.