Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken parts

HSMITH

I have now managed to break a set of safeties from every single maker I am aware of :angry2: And with most brands I have broken several. :superduperpissed:

Went out to check zero on my Open gun. Going to drag it to Area 3 tomorrow just in case I look the stages over and think I might be better off shooting Open. I shot a few rounds, tweaked it in a bit before taking another shot and thought I saw something funny. Didn't know what it was, shot again and it was a twinkle of some kind down the right side of the gun. Hmmm, that is strange, don't remember seeing that before.... WTF? Weak side lever if flapping in the breeze. I press in both sides thinking maybe it just walked out of the other side, nope, it still flops. Quick glance at the other side, looks OK, on and off, click click just like it should, other side still flops. Look harder at the strong side and sure enough, broken across the flat part just forward of the pin. With most I break the pins off, but this one broke across the flat with the pin intact. This set lasted about 14K rounds, which is as long as I have EVER had a wide lever safety last, and it still works, sorta. Man, I thought I had the holy grail of safeties with these and the way they are made, but evidently even they won't take me on the handle for very long. They need a radius between the pin and the flat, and chamfer the pin hole in the frame to clear it. Will talk to the maker about it, and if it will last for me it ought to be the ultimate in safeties....

I know I put a lot of pressure on the pad of the lever when shooting and I sure get tired of replacing them. I have two fitted spares in the bag, and a brand new set in the gun now but it seems a little ridiculous to keep $250 worth of safeties (and one set is 'cheap') with the gun to be comfortable that I have enough to keep going for a while. It really burns my butt!!!!!! I need to change the way I grip the gun and shoot the gun, obviously, but I really don't even know how to begin changing something I have been doing since the very beginning. I might just keep a pair of spares on hand like I have been doing for the last 15 years and go with it :angry2: :angry2:

Am I the only one that can break safeties like this? Man I hope not.....

Kyle, no I am right handed and beating up on the 'strong side' of these things.....

Shoot me the joke in PM if it isn't suitable, it might help. Something about the grip strength of a single man? Married for 15 years, so pretty close LOL.

Howard...you asked for it:

A young woman went to her doctor complaining of pain.

"Where are you hurting?" asked the doctor.

"You have to help me, I hurt all over", said the woman.

"What do you mean, all over?" asked the doctor, "be a little more specific."

The woman touched her right knee with her index finger and yelled, "Ow, that hurts." Then she touched her left cheek and again yelled, "Ouch! That hurts, too." Then she touched her right earlobe, "Ow, even THAT hurts", she cried.

The doctor checked her thoughtfully for a moment and told her his diagnosis, "You have a broken finger."

I understand the need for an ambi-safety on a carry gun, and I understand that in the old days when they said weak hand only they meant it.

But the way the rules are now, do you really need an ambi-safety on your USPSA gun? If I kept breaking mine, I would look for a beefed up "regular" safety.

Just my 2cents. You know more about what makes guns work than I ever will.

Edited by North

Eric, I need to look at that. You understand what is happening and that and that it broke UP at the rear, and your suggestion might lower the stress on it quite a bit. The 'shelf' on a 2011 should be strong enough.

North, I am breaking the strong side of the safety, not the ambi side, but I appreciate the thought.

LOL@Flex. I also liked the one up recently on the humor page where the resident points out broken leg and a gimp or something like that, asks the intern what he would do in that situation, and he supposes he would have a gimp as well.....

Jason, the SV safety is at least as durable as anything else out there and probably a good bit better......

Eric, I need to look at that. You understand what is happening and that and that it broke UP at the rear, and your suggestion might lower the stress on it quite a bit. The 'shelf' on a 2011 should be strong enough.

North, I am breaking the strong side of the safety, not the ambi side, but I appreciate the thought.

LOL@Flex. I also liked the one up recently on the humor page where the resident points out broken leg and a gimp or something like that, asks the intern what he would do in that situation, and he supposes he would have a gimp as well.....

Jason, the SV safety is at least as durable as anything else out there and probably a good bit better......

Rather than a shelf built up out of weld material, you might consider drilling & tapping a small hole for a hex-head stud that will serve as a rest for the safety when it is disengaged. Just a thought. C.

Shaun, this last set was plain stainless. My skin is acidic enough that I need stainless at a minimum. I know all too well about chrome and small parts, LOL I learned that the hard way....

Carlos, it would have to penetrate the plunger spring hole to get enough threads to help, but I might be able to drill the screw out in the plunger hole and have it work OK. Something else to think about, and I appreciate it.

Edited by HSMITH