Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Stage 1 string 6 and Stage 2 string 3

Filishooter

I was reading Brian's book (again) and noted that on page 144 he mention "When the middle target is down low I'd hit it first, then left, then right. If the middle target was more level with the others, I'd shoot it left to right."

Do you think the way the IDPA Classifier targets are setup (middle target is 2ft lower than the left target), that it would be better to hit the middle target first? I'm going to go out and try it with the timer and see which is faster for me.

thanks,

Andy

The way I see it, if you shoot the middle target first, you'll end up doing a big transition from the leftmost to the rightmost target, which could cost you some time.

Matt Burkett has a segment on his practical shooting, vol. 4, where he talks about target math and an array with three targets. With the middle target significantly closer than the left and right targets, you may get a good enough draw on the middle target to offset the transition between the back targets. The same might apply with a lower target.

The way I see it, if you shoot the middle target first, you'll end up doing a big transition from the leftmost to the rightmost target, which could cost you some time.

The theory is that with a L-M-R order, your gun/hands are covering the Middle target. You have to shoot the left target, move your gun/hands out of the way, then acquire the middle target with your eyes, then put the sights on the target.

With M-L-R (or M-R-L, same-same) you can always see the remaining targets in your peripheral vision.

The tradeoff is between a longer L-R transition and a slower L-M visual acquisition. Which works best for you depends entirely on which of these is slower for you. Which brings us back to the OP, who had the answer all along:

I'm going to go out and try it with the timer and see which is faster for me.

:)

I was reading Brian's book (again) and noted that on page 144 he mention "When the middle target is down low I'd hit it first, then left, then right. If the middle target was more level with the others, I'd shoot it left to right."

Do you think the way the IDPA Classifier targets are setup (middle target is 2ft lower than the left target), that it would be better to hit the middle target first? I'm going to go out and try it with the timer and see which is faster for me.

Andy

Question, can one legally shoot them in any order? For some reason I thought it was left to right or right to left.... kr

I think the "shoot the low target first" theory mostly applies to situations where the higher target is actually over the lower one, with the gun obscuring the lower target; you want to be able to see the target to which you are transitioning.

Question, can one legally shoot them in any order? For some reason I thought it was left to right or right to left.... kr

"Start back to targets, turn and fire one (1) shot at each, T1-T3, reload from slide lock and fire one (1) shot at each, T1-T3"

Pretty sure targets can be shot in any order unless specified.

I'm going out tomorrow to try it out. My initial thought is that there isn't enough vertical spread to make a difference (2 ft from lowest to highest target plus the space between targets is a pretty good distance). If the vertical difference were more like 4 ft and they were spaced closer together then it would probably be faster if your transitions are good.

Edited by Filishooter

Dave Elderton taught me to shoot a row of targets right to left based on the notion that recoil tends to move the gun to the weak side. (Left to right for southpaws.)

On an El Prez, I shoot the first pass left to right because I have turned clockwise and see the left target first. I stay on the right target during the reload and come back right to left. But then I am not a Master.

Dave Elderton taught me to shoot a row of targets right to left based on the notion that recoil tends to move the gun to the weak side. (Left to right for southpaws.)

That's quite true when shooting one handed. Right hand - right to left. Left hand - left to right. The gun follows the bend of the elbow. Freestyle it should have negligible effect.

Edited by Steve J

• 3 years later...

That's quite true when shooting one handed. Right hand - right to left. Left hand - left to right. The gun follows the bend of the elbow. Freestyle it should have negligible effect.

The issue with stages, like El Prez, that start facing uprange is that when you make the turn your body will cross the outside targets first. As you turn your head, your vision should pick up the outside target first making it the quickest to engage. Engaging the targets right to left or vice versa is dependent on which way you turn. Since I shoot right handed I turn to the right and engage the targets left to right. Were I shooting left handed I'd engage the targets right to left.