Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety Glasses--Wear Them!

Suches

I've been having some frustrating problems with the primer feed on my new 1050, with no and/or crushed primers every 30 rounds or so. But that's not my point. Today I got an ignited primer, which made an impressive noise, turned the feed rod into a corkscrew, blew the little primer feed nipple to smithereens, jammed the feed tube with detritus and ignited or unignited primers, spread an impressive sludge all around the primer feed mechanism, and sprayed my face with high velocity particulate. Yes, I was wearing safety glasses. I don't want to over-dramatize--it was really not that big a deal. But it might have been without the glasses.

I've loaded tens of thousand of rounds and have never seen anything like this before. I'm pretty religious about wearing safety glasses, but mostly because my glasses are bifocals and I can't load without them. I'm sharing this to give another example that we're handling stuff that can go boom, and you never know when something will happen.

WEAR THE GLASSES, EVERY TIME, ALL THE TIME!!

That ought to be proof enough for anyone reading it that safety glasses are really important.

On a related note, you know how they always say you should wear safety glasses when working on guns? Well, I've always heard that and sort of believe it, but never thought much about it. I was reminded that it's a good idea just the other day. I was doing a detail strip on my Open gun when it came time to disassemble the top end. I'd almost removed the firing pin stop and thought I'd relieved the tension on the firing pin spring when I took my finger away just as I was leaning back a bit....the gun shifted in my hand, the firing pin came flying out and drilled me right between the eyes and clicked off my glasses. How many times I've removed the firing pin on a 1911, I'll never know, but this was the first time I'd ever had this happen. It could have been bad news with no glasses and an inch left or right!

• 3 weeks later...
Bifocals were mentioned earlier, I have gotten Bifocal Safety glasses here. For my old eyes they work pretty well. And an added bonus is that I can actually see what I'm doing ;)

Carl

Cool find. I found "stick on" reading lenses that work well with safety glasses, sun glasses etc. They can be trimmed for bifocal use. I bought the correct diopter for each of my eyes, making something close to a real prescription save my slight right astigmatism.

I ALWAYS wear my safety glasses. I have been to the ER TWICE for foreign objects in my eye and oddly enough, BOTH times I had been wearing safety glasses where I should have been wearing goggles.