Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear plugs

joecichlid

A few weeks back I was given some samples of new ear plugs from Peltor. One of the packages struck me as odd, it looks like a 20 count box of bullets for a muzzle loader. Peltors .30 Caliber Ear Plugs are what I have to say are the best ear plugs I have ever used. Since I shoot indoors mostly I am always looking for a better mouse trap as it were. Last Friday night I was shooting some video of another Open shooter and forgot to put my muffs over my plugs (my normal set up) and much to my shock, from about 12 feet behind an Open shooter indoors I could have sworn I had muffs over the plugs. They simply worked that well.

Over the past three weeks I have been sharing some of the samples with fellow shooters and almost every one of them have said they are the best plugs they have ever used. The only guy to have a problem said he couldn't hear his .40 S&W well enough and he actually thought he might have had a batch of light loads. That is what I would call a good thing, don't you? If you are looking for a better set of ear plugs I would highly suggest these. I still double up though, you can't be too careful when it comes to your hearing or eyesight if you ask me.

After some searching online I finally found a few places that have them in stock. MidwayUSA currently has them in stock at $8.49 for 10 pair. That might sound like a lot for plugs but once you try them I would bet you won't change. It does take a little longer for them to swell into position but it is well worth the wait. You might find them a little cheaper with some searching online.

box.jpg

plug.jpg

Joe W.

I'll be danged, I got a box of them in the gift bag at the IDPA Virginia indoor championship, I thought they were muzzeloading bullets at first also, havent tried them though. I generally double, I wear foamies when milling about the range then add muffs if I am shooting or ROing

I have tried them and I love them. I dont have to double plug when I am spectating an open gun any more. I also have a harder time hearing other talk to me before shooting. I think this is a good thing. I think I am with Joe on this one. I want to know if I can bulk order from Peltor and get a bag full of them.I will use my generic orange ones until I am done with them but I still think these are a great thing for those that shoot around open guns regularly.

Well, there is good news and bad news. The good news is yes you can buy them in bulk. The bad news is the smallest bulk quantity I could find was a case of 30 boxes (30 boxes of 10 pair, that is 300 pair) and it runs $269.00 for that size of an order. Although I am sure you should be able to get them through Peltor directly in 10 box quantities or something like that.

Here is the link to the 30 box case.

Joe W.

Earsoft blasts. 33dbr NRR, and costs about $25 for a case of 200 shipped. Just google for places selling them, there are plenty.

i have not found anything that works better myself. since these suckers are only 30db NRR, i suspect they don't either.

I have tried lots of plugs rated at 32 and 33 but none were as comfortable as these nore did they work as well. You have to remember that they are rated in an ideal lab condition, not sure where you may shoot but I don't shoot in a lab. lol ;) I still think the Peltors are well worth the money.

Joe W.

I have been using the Silencio plugs that Cabela's sell, I think per pair they are $11 US. 2 pairs is $19 or something like that. I was in Maine a few months ago, and picked up some slightly different silencio's at Walmart for $3-$4 dollars. I use them for handgun and my AR with Comp,...no problems.

I just got a pair thats been tailor made for my ears. (got them for work but will try them for shooting)

The doc used some two-component stuff that he filled my ear with to get a duplicate of my ear shape. They allow normal sound to get in, but keeps the bad freq's and sound levels out. An F-16 taking off on burner outside the hangar when the gate is open no longer bothers me, so this must be good :)

jostein jensen I know several shooters that use those types of ear plugs and most of them have gone back to different plugs for one reason or another. Last week I gave a set of the Peltor .30 Calibers to one of the guys I shoot pins with. Normally he shoots with the custom made plugs but he said the Peltor's were as good if not better at cutting the sound than his custom fit plugs.

Joe W.

I have tried lots of plugs rated at 32 and 33 but none were as comfortable as these nore did they work as well. You have to remember that they are rated in an ideal lab condition, not sure where you may shoot but I don't shoot in a lab. lol ;) I still think the Peltors are well worth the money.

Joe W.

Joe,

How do the Peltors hold up or am I the only person who reuses ear plugs?

Edited by dohboy

Sure thing Chris, I will be sure to have some with me Friday night. I have a feeling you are going to like them.

dohboy, I have been using the same pair for about two months or more, no change in how well they work. I plan on using them until either they are too nasty to look at then wash them or until I lose them. lol

Joe W.