Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For the Metallica fans out there

bierman

My personal choice is Cliff, although I always like Jason. He did some cool stuff live, but never really got to express it on the albums.

Not a big fan of their new stuff.

If you're a fan, chime in and let us know. :cheers:

Edited by bierman

I think Cliff was a great bass player and it showed in the solo stuff you can see on Cliff'em all. Orion was the only song i can think of by Metallica where the bass was featured.

Metallica died after the black album...

I like Cliff the best, but Jason was no slouch and Robert is a very talented player. If you listen to Cliff-era Metallica, a lot of songs had Cliff absolutely shredding the bass. Another song that featured bass solo was Anethesia (pulling teeth), and many songs off of Master of Puppets had Cliff playing lots and lots of runs and fills at godlike speed. Examples are Leper Messiah and Disposable Heroes. Also listen to Call of Cthulu off of Ride the Lightning, features some more bass shredding by Cliff.

They did die after the black album but they really sold out when lars when infront of a congressional hearing about mp3's and music sharing on the web and said it was wrong and they were against it. Those guys used to tell everyone at their concerts in the early years (when they were good) to record all of their stuff and give it out to everyone, I guess money changes everyone.

Another song that featured bass solo was Anethesia (pulling teeth), and many songs off of Master of Puppets had Cliff playing lots and lots of runs and fills at godlike speed. Examples are Leper Messiah and Disposable Heroes. Also listen to Call of Cthulu off of Ride the Lightning, features some more bass shredding by Cliff.

Don't forget the bass solo in Orion ;) Starts at 6:35....

Newkid is a talented player, and so is Trujillo, no doubt (hell, go listen to Suicidal Tendencies if you don't know about him....). Stuff w/ Jason, though, the bass was never really an integral part of the songs - he was mostly either doubling guitars, or mixed so low that you couldn't hear the stuff he was doing. You could pick some of it up live... St. Anger?? Good luck listening to that turd.... the live DVD that comes with the album sounds a ton better... but again, not really Trujillo's best work, either, relative to the older ST stuff... but solid playing, nonetheless....

For me, Cliff was the man, as far as Metallica bass players goes... Shame I never got to see them live w/ him playing :(

ETA - for me, Jason's best stuff is on To Live Is To Die, and I've always been a fan of how they lead from his bass solo live into the middle part of that tune....

E (again) TA - changed my sig on a whim in honor of "the man".... ;)

Edited by XRe

Cliff is hands down there best bassist.

Jason was underutilized. Listen to him play on Flotsam And Jetsam's Doomsday for the Deceiver you will be amazed. Reminded me of Steve Harris a bit.

Robert is great from his days in Suicidal and Infectious Grooves, still need to hear more of him in the band.

As far as the band goes, Justice was their last really good album. The Black album was ok. Load and Reload, are pure monkeypoo. And St. Anger is the album that they should have released after the Black one. I am anxious to hear what Rick Rubin and Metallica will do together.

Anything that they have done with that $#%@%$ Bob Rock is pure crap. If Justice was produced so that it didn't sound like it was recorded inside a #10 tin can, it would have been even more of a masterpiece. Jason is a good bassist, Robert is a madman, but Cliff was in a whole different realm. Watching Cliff em All, it simply amazes me just to look at that guys fingers. Each one works completely independent of the others, and look strong enough to bend steel.

Here's a question.

Does anyone think the the boys would have made it if Cliff wasn't the original?

Of course. Take Kirk for an example. He is one hell of a guitarist but not the original. The band was well on it's way up when they kicked Dave out. I think Metallica is, at it's core, James and Lars.

I think Metallica is, at it's core, James and Lars.

In fact, AJFA was effectively only James and Lars.... You can't hear the bass in the mix, and all Kirk did was play the solos.... ;)