Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock mags and dust

Good Time Gang

I was the TN sectional the other weekend and after shooting a stage 10 i noticed a lot of very very fine powdery dust on my mags. needless to say they did not want to work any longer. I tossed them in my range bag an thought i would clean them later. i am embarrassed to say this, but i can get the stupid things apart. i have pushed the catch down and squeezed the B-Jesus out of them with vice grips to disconnect the lock, and i still can't get them apart. is there a trick that i am missing? can i wash them in water to clean them with out taking them apart? what can do? any and all advice welcome, thanks!

I was the TN sectional the other weekend and after shooting a stage 10 i noticed a lot of very very fine powdery dust on my mags. needless to say they did not want to work any longer. I tossed them in my range bag an thought i would clean them later. i am embarrassed to say this, but i can get the stupid things apart. i have pushed the catch down and squeezed the B-Jesus out of them with vice grips to disconnect the lock, and i still can't get them apart. is there a trick that i am missing? can i wash them in water to clean them with out taking them apart? what can do? any and all advice welcome, thanks!

Here is a Linky linky with video.

Here is a Linky linky with video.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen that before. I will buy the first round if we ever meet.

cant get the vid to run, will try it at work in the am. thanks!

Try to Right-Click on link > Save as...

I also got video plug-in fail to initialize, but plays fine if you download it and play it in quicktime

After you get the floor plates off, cut those idiotic side tabs off of the bottom lip of the mag body. The inner plate will hold the floor plate on just fine. Two years of USPSA and have yet to have issue with any of my mags and I cut the tabs off of all of them.

Yanno, I just take a long allen wrench and poke it through the little hole on the baseplate. Resting it against the back side of the inner mag, I give it a gentle but firm pull forward while squeezing inward on the mag body.

The previous poster was utterly correct, it's only hard the first time.

Good luck!

HK Dan

Yanno, I just take a long allen wrench and poke it through the little hole on the baseplate. Resting it against the back side of the inner mag, I give it a gentle but firm pull forward while squeezing inward on the mag body.

The previous poster was utterly correct, it's only hard the first time.

Good luck!

HK Dan

BTW I can fully disassemble a Glock, but the gen3 mags are always the hardest to disassemble

I dont want to thread drift, but I didnt clean my Glock mags for 4 months straight and 5000 rounds before breaking them apart and cleaning them before heading for Nationals. I shot in dirt, sand and you name it and never had one malfunction.

I also didn't clean them the entire time I was in Tulsa, even with the monsoon rainstorm and mud on them.

Kevin,

I can tell you've never shot at the Dbl Tap ranch in Wichita Falls. It is a great range & they have great matches but if you drop your glock mags in the dry dirt there, they will begin to fail until you clean them. Ask me how I know & I'll give you the long story including the $$ it cost me to figure it out, not to mention the agony of having gun problems during a major match.

Most times you are right about needing to clean them, but there is certain dirt in certain places that will lock up a glock mag so tight you'll think your mag springs have gone south.

MLM

I've found it has to be this weird "in-between" grit to temporarily kill a glock mag. It cannot be super fine Saudi/Iraqi moondust, and it can't be really thick gritty sand. But, you get just the right size grit in there and Presto, trouble.

Kevin,

I can tell you've never shot at the Dbl Tap ranch in Wichita Falls. It is a great range & they have great matches but if you drop your glock mags in the dry dirt there, they will begin to fail until you clean them. Ask me how I know & I'll give you the long story including the $$ it cost me to figure it out, not to mention the agony of having gun problems during a major match.

Most times you are right about needing to clean them, but there is certain dirt in certain places that will lock up a glock mag so tight you'll think your mag springs have gone south.

MLM

Hm, I shot the Double Tap in March and never once cleaned my mags until this past July, when my gun started malfunctioning. I assumed it was the dirty mags catching up with me.... turned out to be an ammo issue. ;)

I'd clean them if I could get them apart, but I've read the instructions, watched the online videos, watched friends take my mags apart in front of me, and I still can't do it. :blink::blush:

OK. Find a punch that fits the floor plate hole as much as possible. It also needs to have a handle end that will fill your hand. Wrap a towel around the handle for padding. Find a low level and stable platform like a short standing workbench. Place the mag on edge of the workbench with the floorplate hanging over the edge. Position the mag with the front of the mag pointing down. Insert the punch in the hole, stabilize the mag and push down on the punch like you are going to rip apart the webbing between your thumb and index finger with the punch handle. Don't be gentle, don't treat it like you can break it. Once the floorplate is loose, push off the floorplate.

Then cut/shave those damn retainer tabs off of the floorplate rail. You will never have to fight the mag again to get it apart.

DO NOT try to use a glock tool as the punch for this until the retainer tabs are cut off. The glock tool will not survive. <_<

Did I mention to shave the retainer tabs off?