Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Ride

ChuckS

I forgot to gloat about my new (to me) delayed mid-life crisis mobile. This thing is going to get me in trouble with the law. No matter how many times I repeat the mantra "I'm gonna take it easy this time", I wind up with most of the other traffic in the rear-view mirror.

post-400-1190985797.jpgpost-400-1190985806.jpgpost-400-1190985821.jpg

2004 Boxster - Polar Silver

See ya in traffic school... <_<

Very nice, but how are you going to fit all your shooting gear in that tiny thing? :P

Since the thing is mid-engine, there is a front and rear trunk so stuff fits with room to spare. The real problem is the 4" ground clearance. :surprise: That doesn't work well at most of our range sites! I kept my crappy old truck for that!

The husband of 1 of the women I work with bought himself one for his 50th birthday. Terri (his wife) was still here in Virginia with the Boxster while he took her truck to Florida to set up their new house. She had to get the annual safety inspection, and one of the fog lights was burned out, cost her $80 at the Porche dealer, she flipped. She of course drove a 10 year old Ford ranger 4cyl truck with 120k miles on it.

Now Jessie has traded the Porche in on a 2007 Mustang GT.

Enjoy it Chuck, I love zipping around in my Bright red Subaru WRX with the big hood scope even if I am almost 58. :cheers:

Bruce

The husband of 1 of the women I work with bought himself one for his 50th birthday. Terri (his wife) was still here in Virginia with the Boxster while he took her truck to Florida to set up their new house. She had to get the annual safety inspection, and one of the fog lights was burned out, cost her $80 at the Porche dealer, she flipped. She of course drove a 10 year old Ford ranger 4cyl truck with 120k miles on it.

Now Jessie has traded the Porche in on a 2007 Mustang GT.

Enjoy it Chuck, I love zipping around in my Bright red Subaru WRX with the big hood scope even if I am almost 58. :cheers:

Bruce

Bruce,

I had a brake light go out and though in horror what it was going to cost. I got the bulb out and looked up the Phillips number in a cross-reference and found the bulb at AutoZone: 2 ea for ~ $4. I am sure that will be the cheapest repair I'll do! But this thing is like shooting USPSA. We are not doing this to save money!

Later,

Chuck

Funny thing: I have a 10 year old Ranger but only 98K on it...

Catfish: The PCA stuff comes after Area 2...

Back in 1988 I raced a 1983 Mazda RX7 in SCCA club racing, and drove a 1987 Turbo on the street. The local PCA club would rent the Summit Point track in WV, and ask the 4 guys from the Mazda club with competition licenses to come up and help the new owners see what their cars could do on the track. A father with more money than brains tosses the keys to the brand new family 944 Turbo to his 16 year old kid. The kid had never driven the car before and barley knew how to shift. The kid never made through the first lap which was at < 40 mph to show everyone the correct lines through the corners. Punched it in 2nd gear in a right handed, broke the back end loose then proceeded to plant the thing in a tire wall. Less than 2000 miles on it.

Most of the guys were really cool however, and some wanted to know if we were going all out during the later sessions. I wouldn't go over 6/10's most of the time because it wasn't my car, and we all know the sh__ happens and there was no roll cage in the car. I used to auto cross my WRX until I found out about USPSA and IDPA.

Bruce

1. Hell yes, atta boy, go get 'em!

2. I rented one of those in Vegas a few years ago. (My boss gave us all $500 seed money for gambling and I took mine to the dream car rental place. He proceeded to disappear for 36 hours and win 12k at blackjack. Damn millionaires. :) )

I was stunned at the handling. I swear that car could read my mind. It just didn't care how fast we went or turned. It wanted m-o-r-e more! And more after that.

Congrats!

Steve

I used to AutoX my S2000 when I had it, and the 350Z after that. The PCA club here in DFW offered a day at the track for some ridiculous amount, like $45 - $50 and I got a very capable instructor to show me how to drive. I think I only pooped in my pants once. :surprise:

Regardless, it was WELL worth the time and money and getting to ride with national champs is always a good thing.

Enjoy the Boxster - I've driven a couple and they are very well balanced machines. :cheers:

I was stunned at the handling. I swear that car could read my mind. It just didn't care how fast we went or turned. It wanted m-o-r-e more! And more after that.

Congrats!

Steve

Steve,

Right on! I couldn't and still can't beleive how it handles. After driving beaters, nose heavy big-block cars back in the 70's, this thing seems like cheating! Perfect balance. Slight tip of the wheel and you change lanes. Real sweet. Bad thing is when I go back to my truck. It seems like you have to start a turn a block early!

Thanks a bunch,

Chuck

PS: This thing has seriously cut into my dry fire! Such problems we have :rolleyes:

Several years ago I had a heavily modified Corvette. It had some 550 horses at the rear wheels plus another 100 shot if I felt the need. It was sick fast and hooked like velcro. It handled pretty good to me. There is a hard curve about a mile from my house that most cars couldn't take over 30. The Vette would slingshot through it at 70 without missing a lick and pull hard coming out of it. A friend of mine just got a Caymen S which is basically the Boxster with a hard top. We took it for a spin around town and it was snappy and felt good. Paddle shifters worked good and tranny was responsive. Well....the curve by my house was getting close and we were running almost triple digits down the road and the car was sticking like glue. My ass cheeks were starting to pinch my shorts and bite into the leather seats when we entered the curve at 92 mph with not a hint of breaking loose or any pushing. He dropped it a gear just as we entered and powered through it hard and exited at increased speed. It felt unbelievable. I have never been in a car that handled as good as that one. Those little middy Porsches aren't the fastest thing on the road but make up for it in their ability to handle almost any road without backing off. I liked the raw power of my Vette but would rather have the handling over power anyday. When I say its not the fastest out there is kind of an understatement......it could still haul the mail. Them damn Europeans know how to build a sweet car. NICE RIDE!!! :cheers:

Just remember when the cops pull you over and ask you why you accelerated when he turned the blue lights on.......you tell them that years ago your wife ran off with a state trooper and you thought he might be trying to bring her back.

Do you have the true manual or the paddle shift? The one I drove had the paddles and I really missed a proper gearbox...that was the only bummer.

Either way, a kick-ass ride!

SA

5 speed manual. No Tiptronic for moi. I couldn't see the point.

I had the Tiptronic in my Audi S4 and it was nice but it is hard to beat a manual transmission. Watch out for the Subaru WRX's, the last one I had, was going 0-60 in 4 seconds flat (that was with several thou$and$ in the motor) and I managed to piss off several Porsche owners with it. :devil:

I had the Tiptronic in my Audi S4 and it was nice but it is hard to beat a manual transmission. Watch out for the Subaru WRX's, the last one I had, was going 0-60 in 4 seconds flat (that was with several thou$and$ in the motor) and I managed to piss off several Porsche owners with it. :devil:

Out here there are some pretty peppy little "fast and furious" cars that move out pretty good. But, you take a Honda or Subaru, add multiple thousands of dollars and you have a Honda or Subaru that cost a lot :rolleyes: . The end goal is not clear to me. Other people being faster is not a terminal problem for me or I probably would not be shooing open! The thing is just fun to drive.

Later,

Chuck

Hello: I would look up your local PCA and POC clubs and take the car to the track. You will love the DE's and will get some good instruction. I am a PCA instructor and love to see new people come out to the track. They seem to really enjoy themselves more so than the old track rats ;-). If you are ever down in Corpus look us up. Our next track event is October 13. Our region is Coastal Bend region PCA. Have fun. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I would look up your local PCA and POC clubs and take the car to the track. You will love the DE's and will get some good instruction. I am a PCA instructor and love to see new people come out to the track. They seem to really enjoy themselves more so than the old track rats ;-). If you are ever down in Corpus look us up. Our next track event is October 13. Our region is Coastal Bend region PCA. Have fun. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the kind offer. It would be fun to get down there, hit your track and shoot some matches with my Art Director! Just trying to find time for everything is difficult. Right now job, wife and prep for Area 2 is pretty much it. And my gunsmith is giving birth to a new open gun for me this month so way too many distractions. Such problems! I guess it's a pretty good life :cheers: