Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 Problem- Help!

Need a little help here..........

Super 1050 been loading 38 Super (not SC) for a year with no problems. Bought separate toolhead, dies etc. to load 9mm and have it all set up. Loaded 5-600 but I am now getting numerous (1 per 3 or 4) instances where the casing being primed is being pushed off line and the outside edge of the casing is being lifted up out of the shellplate. Inside edge stays in shellplate so casing is now angled toward the inside as it rotates to the powder die. If I don't catch it then casing is torn apart by the powder funnel. I also get a lot of primers that are "flattened" and then jam up the primer slide.

Same shellplate and buttons 38 Super and 9mm.

Using Winchester small pistol primers.

Probably 99% or more commercial headstamps of various makes. Haven't seen much military.

Swaging station active but I did try it also when rod is lowered. Happens both ways, problem is at the priming station.

Shellplate tightened down as much as possible but allowing it to turn properly.

Plastic wedge adjusted so just a slight movement of casing when in priming station.

It's almost like the primer punch is pushing up off center causing the casing to become angled or the primer to be "smooshed". But, how can primer punch not be centered? I have also experimented with different depths of primer seating.

Or, the casings are too small for the shellplate and are not being held tightly in it when the primer punch comes up.

Or, is it possible for the hole in the primer slide to become "out of round" so the primer does not sit perfectly in the center? So primer punch comes up, hits off center primer, drives it up into casing off center, causing the angling of the casing and the flattening of the primer itself?

So, where do I go from here? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. I have called Dillon twice and am still having the problem so I thought I would try here at BE. Thanks in advance.

Edited by nhglyn

Check the primer "punch" for a broken or angled surface. Check the shellplate for a broken or wallowed out lip at one of the stations. I assume you have not switched back and forth between a large and small primer...and maybe not changed the slide? Sometimes it's simple.. :blink:

Most peculiar! :surprise: What is/are the specific headstamps this occurs on? It sounds like undersized case heads. Be sure the shellplate and locator buttons are stamped #5, and adjust the white plastic wedge to within .001"-.002" of touching the case. :ph34r:

Most peculiar! :surprise: What is/are the specific headstamps this occurs on? It sounds like undersized case heads. Be sure the shellplate and locator buttons are stamped #5, and adjust the white plastic wedge to within .001"-.002" of touching the case. :ph34r:

Dillon,

Am I really supposed to have #5 buttons for 38 Sup/9mm? It came with #3 buttons and that is what I have always used, aren't the #5 ones really small? It does have the #5 shellplate. Thanks.

I've had the same problem off and on since I got my 1050. Finally it came to a head a month or so ago. I guess I had a few too many primers not get punched out at the resizing die station (no idea why) and then the swager would squish them in, not always able to feel it, but once it hit the priming station it would mangle the primer and cause a jam. I replaced the resisizing die with a RCBS one, and then still had problems in the priming station. eventually I pulled the primer seating stem out and looked at it. it was mushed on one side, likely as a result of the screw ups. one new stem and I've had maybe one or two mangled primers in 5000 rounds. no idea what caused those ones, but it wasn't anything like the above, and the stem is nice and square. It's also possible that your stem is bent, not just mushed on the top.

Did you see if the problem occurs consistanly with one particular headstamp?

Operate the machine without any cases. See if the shellplate is rotating far enough.

Might be you need to grease the underside of the shellplate lock ring. It is quite

unlikely that the primer slide is worn.

Next, remove the toolhead and shellplate, clean the detent ball & spring. Be sure the

spring under the detent ball is in correctly, wide end at the bottom. When you tighten the

shellplate lock ring, tighten it down until it stops, then back it up about 1/8 turn. Be sure the

shellplate cycles, and push down on the edge of the shellplate by the bullet seating station.

If it feels springy, then you need to tighten the ring a bit more. :ph34r:

I've had the same problem off and on since I got my 1050. Finally it came to a head a month or so ago. I guess I had a few too many primers not get punched out at the resizing die station (no idea why) and then the swager would squish them in, not always able to feel it, but once it hit the priming station it would mangle the primer and cause a jam. I replaced the resisizing die with a RCBS one, and then still had problems in the priming station. eventually I pulled the primer seating stem out and looked at it. it was mushed on one side, likely as a result of the screw ups. one new stem and I've had maybe one or two mangled primers in 5000 rounds. no idea what caused those ones, but it wasn't anything like the above, and the stem is nice and square. It's also possible that your stem is bent, not just mushed on the top.

I have found that bent pins are normally caused by media in the cases that is not tumbled out.

Edited by zhunter

the pin/stem I meant was the one that seats the primer, not the punch pin that knocks out the old one. I've bent those ones, broken them etc etc so many times it's sick. .22 cases, rocks, chunks of brass, .32 ACP cases, etc all inside 9mm cases (not at once obviously). I had one night where I was ready to burn my house down. I broke 15 primer punches in about 2 hours. That was the night I Dremeled my media separator so that anything smaller than a 9mm case will fall out. since then I've broken one and that was on a case that fed into the shell plate upside down and somehow made it to the resizing station and I didn't notice.

Need a little help here..........

Super 1050 been loading 38 Super (not SC) for a year with no problems. Bought separate toolhead, dies etc. to load 9mm and have it all set up. Loaded 5-600 but I am now getting numerous (1 per 3 or 4) instances where the casing being primed is being pushed off line and the outside edge of the casing is being lifted up out of the shellplate. Inside edge stays in shellplate so casing is now angled toward the inside as it rotates to the powder die. If I don't catch it then casing is torn apart by the powder funnel. I also get a lot of primers that are "flattened" and then jam up the primer slide.

I had the same experience last week and this is what i found. The blue plastic tab that holds the pin in the power stage has to have the serrated part on the top and the flat part on the bottom. The rest of the plastic tabs should have the flat part on top and the serrated part on the bottom. When the serrated part is on the bottom on the powder stage, it causes the casing to tilt - creates a gap and does not hold the casing level. *** Not sure if the plastic tabs for the pins are for new models only. I have the Super 1050.***

Check the plastic tab of the pin in the powder stage and make sure the serrated part of the plastic tab is on top. See if that helps. Since i did this, my primer station does not get jammed and no more casing problems.