Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Mag Setup to go with?

Coolduckboy

Alright, I am probably bringing up old questions and will be referred to the search engine that this forum has. I know how to use it but got tired of reading only about one mag setup and then having to go find another one kinda like it. Rather just make a new thread.

Ok Here's my question(s):

1. Are Tuned mags worth their price value?

2. If I build my own mags (at least 20+1), What is the perfect setup for the STI?

3. What are you running for mags?

I will probably post more questions as I start to wake up this afternoon but this is all I have for now. thank you.

Alright, I am probably bringing up old questions and will be referred to the search engine that this forum has. I know how to use it but got tired of reading only about one mag setup and then having to go find another one kinda like it. Rather just make a new thread.

Ok Here's my question(s):

1. Are Tuned mags worth their price value?

2. If I build my own mags (at least 20+1), What is the perfect setup for the STI?

3. What are you running for mags?

I will probably post more questions as I start to wake up this afternoon but this is all I have for now. thank you.

If you have not done it before then I would purchase a couple of tuned mags. Then look them over and try to repeat it and build your own. Next once you realize that you can't make it work sent them to get tuned. There are a few things I just could never get right to get that 20 reloadable to work and still be in a guage.

Good Luck.

If you have the cash, then tuned by HSMITH via SHooters connection!!!

If not get STI tubes, grams guts and the SNL basepads and a gauge. WIth a little off the rear of the feed lips you should be good to go and 20 rounds reloadable.

Edited by steel1212

They are absolutely worth it. You spent a good amount of coin on the pistol, why go cheap on the mags? Send tubes to Beven Grams and just write the check. It's worth every penny to elminate that part of the equation from your shooting.

I've ran Gram's mags since 1998 and have NEVER looked back (and haven't had a jam since either).

Rich

They are absolutely worth it. You spent a good amount of coin on the pistol, why go cheap on the mags? Send tubes to Beven Grams and just write the check. It's worth every penny to elminate that part of the equation from your shooting.

My understanding, at this point, is that Beven is no longer providing tuning service in that fashion? You can buy tuned SPS parts from him, but that's it?

Brazos Custom Gunworks also sells tuned mags ;)

Call Beven to be sure but I think he sells complete magazines.

That matches my understanding, which is that they'll be SPS tubes...

Yeah i contacted him and he is selling tuned SPS /w his enterals for $150.00.

I have heard that some people have bought two sets of "Super-Tuned" mags from Brazos and the feeds lips have all been different.

Call Beven to be sure but I think he sells complete magazines.

That matches my understanding, which is that they'll be SPS tubes...

Yeah i contacted him and he is selling tuned SPS /w his enterals for $150.00.

I have heard that some people have bought two sets of "Super-Tuned" mags from Brazos and the feeds lips have all been different.

If they work and fit in the guage then I don't think it matters.

That's pretty much a worthless statement.Without laying hands on them and measuring them and providing measurements - and also checking to see if the work or not - that statement doesn't really mean anything, other than that its hearsay. Different than what, and by how much? I have 2 Beven tuned mags. Their feedlip dimensions differ from one another by .010". What does that mean? Nothing.... ;)

That's pretty much a worthless statement.Without laying hands on them and measuring them and providing measurements - and also checking to see if the work or not - that statement doesn't really mean anything, other than that its hearsay. Different than what, and by how much? I have 2 Beven tuned mags. Their feedlip dimensions differ from one another by .010". What does that mean? Nothing.... ;)

Well sorry to disappoint you with the statement. Got that information from a fellow shooter and don't know greater detail about the situation, I just know he doesn't think they are "Super Tuned".

What about going with SV tubes, Wolf spring (cut to 10.5 coils), SV Follower, Then the SNL Dawson +1? Anyone Try it

a tuned magazine is more than just proper feedlip dimensions. witness holes that indicate the proper round count (lined up nicely with the primer), internal dimensions so you get that XX+1 reloadable, polished or hard chromed, etc, etc.

I have four of Bob's supertuned mags. All of them are 20 + 1 and they've never let me down. I've never had reason to measure the lips or anything but I also have several of Bevens mags and suffice it to say, I don't need calipers to tell me that the specs vary from one to the next.

I tried putting the new Dawson SNL +1 pads on the Brazos mags and they didn't add any more room or cushion and I'd have to do a slight bit of dremeling to get it to fit the gauge.

Regardless, I say spend the $ up front and eliminate a possible source of frustration. If I was in the market today, I'd go with Bob's or HSMITH'S

Edited by al503

To all that may want to know, and to set the record straight as of todays date:

I do sell a "Grams Tuned SPS Mag Kit" for the STI/SV frame. Round count for a Limited Class (fits the USPSA gauge at 141.25mm) mag is 21 for .40, and 23 for 9mm/38. Open Class long mag (fits the USPSA mag gauge at 171.25mm) will hold 29 rounds of 9mm/38. These round counts are real, and function is guaranteed. Call me for prices and led times.

I no longer have the time to tune mags on a per customer basis, and have discontinued that kind of service some time ago. Of coarse any "Grams Tuned Mag" can be sent in for a "Maintenance Tuning Tuneup" if it gets damaged.

I've purchased 'tuned' mags that were neither 'super' nor 'tuned'. Buy good components and use them and make sure they work in your gun.

Feed lips were different on each mag to the next, the feed lip width was fine and in specs. I just tune my own mags and don't worry if i can't get 20 or 21 rounds into it.

I just bought an OEM STI magazine tube, then installed a Grams pad and spring kit- and bingo, it gets 20 rounds reloadable. I have been using it in practice to verify reliability and so far it is 100%. I am not sure if I just got lucky or if this is repeatable. I polished it and drilled witness holes myself, but did no work on internal dimensions. I also left the feed lips alone, no squeezing or grinding. YMMV... ;) Total cost was $91 for components- tuned mages are running around $130 each...agian YMMV.

Measuring the feedlips is not a good measure of "tuned." Feed lip dim variations aren't really the issue. I've used many mags as stock from STI and done exactly zip to the feed lips and they run great.

What *is* getting tuned is the body dimensions of the mags. STI mags are usually too narrow as they come from the factory, which causes the capacity to be lower and is the source of the "salt shaker" mag syndrome. The trick is in widenening the body of the mag without causing it to stick in the grip and not otherwise buggering up the mag in the process. *That* is why the mag tuners get paid their money and based on the amount of effort I spent tuning my mags, it's money well-earned.

YMMV