Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dawson front sight

scribble

I just received my new front fiber optic sight from Shooters connection and it fits in the slide loose not sloppy loose but I can slide it from left to right without excerting any pressure. Is there anything I can do short of adding a shim.

dimple the underside of the sight using an automatic or manual center punch. make a few dimples to raise the metal and use red loctite like lkytx suggest. I had the same problem with my dawson FO sight because the dovetail was cut too big. After the dimples and redloctite, sight hasn't budged at all.

Edited by yoshidaex

dimple the underside of the sight using an automatic or manual center punch. make a few dimples to raise the metal and use red loctite like lkytx suggest. I had the same problem with my dawson FO sight because the dovetail was cut too big. After the dimples and redloctite, sight hasn't budged at all.

either I didn't put enough on or my .45s are just too damn hot because the sight came shooting off after 100rds last night. I had shot 2 100 rd match's earlier in the week with out problem but this load was a little hotter than my normal load.

Put another one on, dimple the heck out of the bottom with a SHARP punch, use PLENTY of red loctite when you put it in. Let it sit for a day and then drill it for a roll pin. Grind the roll pin flush inside the slide. The sight won't leave again.

Loctite makes some high temp stuff too.

But you can also try the bearing retainer it fills bigger gap

Also make sure it was real clean and you don't touch the part with your fingers. Use gloves and brake cleaner or the loctite prep/cleaner.

Also dimple the slide so that you have to drive the sight in.

Loctite makes some high temp stuff too.

But you can also try the bearing retainer it fills bigger gap

Also make sure it was real clean and you don't touch the part with your fingers. Use gloves and brake cleaner or the loctite prep/cleaner.

Also dimple the slide so that you have to drive the sight in.

I don't think I dimpled enough so I will get the auto puncer and try again.

I think the shim is the way to go. Back in the old days we used to shim between the Rod bearing inserts and the piston rod to get a better fit on the crankshaft. Yes, I do shoot senior. Go to any auto parts store and ask for some metal shim material. Sometimes it even comes with tape on one side to help hold it in place. It comes in various thicknesses. Just cut and trim to your desired fit and you are all set.

Put another one on, dimple the heck out of the bottom with a SHARP punch, use PLENTY of red loctite when you put it in. Let it sit for a day and then drill it for a roll pin. Grind the roll pin flush inside the slide. The sight won't leave again.

If you're putting in a roll pin, why bother dimpling and using loctite?

a backup plan for the backup. :)

I would do exactly as Howard said if you have the machinery and ability. If you need it for a match thats happening tomorrow, dimple and red loctite and you should be good to go. If you got time adn you don't have the equipment to roll pin it, send it to a smith and have him do it proper and murphy won't be knocking on your door. :)

Get yerself to someone with a mig. Tap two to four pads on there, file them down then put the site in with loctite. Loctite alone is not the solution and peening isn't going to fix that much missing metal, at least not long term.

FWIW....