Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USA World Shoot Teams

BritinUSA

We have just completed the final qualifier for the World Shoot Team selection process. In due course the various team slots will be filled with the talented few who get to represent USA and USPSA at the WS in Bali, 2008.

At the Tulsa match, Travis and I were talking about team shirts and the problems that arise when the demands of sponsorship (for some shooters) collide with the need for some kind of standard attire for the team members. I remember attending some World Shoots where Team USA wore their team shirts for the opening ceremony only to dump them in favour of their sponsor-shirts during the match itself.

USPSA pays much of the cost of attending the match for the main teams so they probably should have a reasonable expectation that the team would wear the colours for the entire match. The sponsors who contribute equipment, money etc. also have an expectation that their shooters will display their logos during the match.

I was wondering if there was a compromise; Should USPSA design some shirts that can accommodate each shooter's individual logos as well as still flying the flag ?

What I thought was a design that had the right sleeve as a blue background with white stars, and the right side of the shirt with vertical red/white stripes like a flag, repeated on the back. The USPSA diamond would be on the right of the chest.

As the stripes move toward the centre of the shirt they fade into a solid background, either white, red or blue with the shooter's sponsor logos on the left hand side of the shirt (from the wearers perspective), along with the shooters name.

I could probably show this better with a picture but I don't have any graphic software on my Mac at the moment.

My thought is that the solid colour on the left would vary depending on the main sponsors, so INFINITY and SPRINGFIELD is mostly a blue background, STI and SVI are RED, (I think), the other base colour would be white. The shooter could then choose what logos would fill the space on the left of the shirt (both front and back).

I think a compromise such as this would meet the requirements of USPSA and the SPONSORs.

Sponsors can't enter their own Teams at the World Shoot as only National teams are recognised, so this would seem to fit the bill...

Anyone have any constructive thoughts ?

To my knowledge, USPSA has not had any comments from WS Team Shooters desiring to wear shirts provided by their sponors in lieu of the team colors.

In my humble opinion, you leave the dance with the partner who took you. If the membership of this organization desires to invite you to shoot for the region and pays your way and provides you a uniform, it would be pretty darn disrespectful to not wear it and I very seriously doubt that any sponsor would feel otherwise.

Charles Bond

I am STILL in Halmstad Sweden following the conclusion of yesterdays Solheim Cup, which is the ladies version of the Ryder Cup. I have also worked the last 5 Ryder Cups, and I can tell you that the competitors ALWAYS wear the team uniforms!!!

I am not talking about some small ( comparatively ) deals here, we are talking about MILLION$ endorsements.

TEAM MEMBERS are just that, and SHOULD me expected to wear team uniforms!!!

Sponsors should then use the pictures of their shooters in the team uniforms and use them in their advertisements!!! ONLY very few make the World Shoot team, use that as a promotion in itself.

IF the shooting industry does not understand the significance of this, they need NEW marketing people!!!

ZH OUT

I thought this was an interesting question so here's my thoughts.....As a sponsor I wouldn't have a problem with one of my shooters wearing the team shirt but if I helped get them there I would appreciate at least a little exposure. I think that a lot of the companies involved in the action pistol shooting sports aren't big enough to have a staff of marketing people and we need any exposure we can get so why not put the individual shooters sponsors on the team shirts? Instead of trying to design a shirt to work with the different logo colors why not pick a color that looks good with the shirt design and make all the logos the same color? You could do a red, white and blue shirt and make all the logos gray or something that looks nice with the shirt but doesn't overpower it.

I am STILL in Halmstad Sweden following the conclusion of yesterdays Solheim Cup, which is the ladies version of the Ryder Cup. I have also worked the last 5 Ryder Cups, and I can tell you that the competitors ALWAYS wear the team uniforms!!!

I am not talking about some small ( comparatively ) deals here, we are talking about MILLION$ endorsements.

TEAM MEMBERS are just that, and SHOULD me expected to wear team uniforms!!!

Sponsors should then use the pictures of their shooters in the team uniforms and use them in their advertisements!!! ONLY very few make the World Shoot team, use that as a promotion in itself.

IF the shooting industry does not understand the significance of this, they need NEW marketing people!!!

ZH OUT

Yeah, take golf for an example. During the President's Cup they all wear the same thing, even down to hats, right?

Yeah, take golf for an example. During the President's Cup they all wear the same thing, even down to hats, right?

Dave

That is correct. HEY, you are representing YOUR/OUR country, leave the sponsorship crap at home, and bring us back the title!!!

IF you have any questions, please RE-READ my first post. Those guys are getting MILLIONS and don't wear sponsorship logos.

So who are the folks on the teams? Standings from people who understand the magic?

I imagine that they have already worked out who would be on the team. Then I guess they would start calling people to see if they were willing/able to travel to Indonesia in 2008 for the match. Once that is all done then I am guessing that they could publish the names.

I suspect that there will be some that qualify that don't wish to make the trip.

At the last Europeans, those which ended this week end, France had official shirts with French colors, French Federation logos and colors and individual sponsors for each shooter member of the official teams.

My opinion is that a national team should wear national uniforms and colors, and nothing more during the main match.

After shooting, at the shoot off, wear whatever you want (as long as it stay tasteful :lol: ).

So who are the folks on the teams? Standings from people who understand the magic?

Best I can figure in Production and this is by no means scientific.

Robert Vogel 395.73

Matt Mink 392.02

Angus Hobdell 374.06

David Olhasso 370.76

Barry Dueck 338.90

Chuck Anderson 334.41

Roger Sherman 331.40

and

Steve Moneypenny 328.75

Top three get an automatic invite. David is going to have to wait until after next years Nationals to know for sure. My guess is he'll be number 4 though.

The best I can figure is:

OPEN

Chris Tilley

Max Michel

KC Eusebio

BJ Norris

STANDARD

Travis Tomasie

Taran Butler

Manny Bragg

Shannon Smith

PRODUCTION

What Chuck said

JUNIOR

Shane Coley

Forrest McCord

James McGinty

LADY

What Sharyn said

Until next year's Nationals anyway

Edited by TRNinTX

Ok, I'm confused; A couple of posters have mentioned the 2008 Nationals as if this will have some impact on the US Teams.

I don't think so.

The World Shoot is typically in Sept-Oct. They usually need to get the competitors sorted out 2-3 months before the start of the match to allow time for firearm permits etc. So I don't see how the 2008 Nationals will be an issue.

I think they have to take the Nationals scores from 2006-2007....

Or am I totally confused ?

Yep, just checked the USPSA web-site

Points shall be earned in the following manner:

The points from the better of the 2006 or 2007 National Handgun Championships which shall be multiplied by 2.000, plus

The total points of the best two (of three) BOD approved qualification matches in 2007.

Thanks, Paul. It was fun shooting with you too. Our squad was awesome! And, yeah, you're totally confused... ;)

13. 2008 World Shoot team slots will be offered to members in the following order:

a.
The three highest ranked competitors based on qualification points. Selection will continue in descending qualification order until three team positions have been formally accepted.

b.
The 2008 National Champion in each division or category will be offered the number four position on the corresponding team only if the following prerequisites have been met:

Entered in the 2008 IPSC World Shoot

Necessary firearms permits submitted