Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.355 or .356 Does It Matter

bruce282

I have a Glock 34 and a 17. I am getting ready to start reloading and ordered 1k of PD 147gr bullets. Got an email that they won't be ready for 6 weeks. OK I went to Midway to get some Hornady HAP bullets. I had the order all done and noticed that the 125gr HAP's were .356 and the 147gr TMJ were .355.

Do I care?

I did search but couldn't find this answer.

Bruce

Once you shoot .356, you can't go back to .355. If you are going to shoot both, make sure you shoot at .355 first.

9mm is .355

38 is .356

Jake,

What is the reason for "Once you shoot .356, you can't go back to .355"

Larry

Once you shoot .356, you can't go back to .355. If you are going to shoot both, make sure you shoot at .355 first.

9mm is .355

38 is .356

It's generally true that .38 Super is .356 and 9mm is .355, but you can also get .38 Super and SuperComp barrels in .355. I have a KKM .38SC barrel in my Bedell and it's .355 (that's all it says, not even .38SC or anything else. They recommend shooting .355 for the first 4-7K and then trying .356 to see if they shoot better. If not, then continue shooting .355.

I think it would take a lot of .356 bullets to make a .355 barrel wear to the point it won't shoot .355 bullets well. It's the depth of the grooves where the measurment is taken, so even a .355 bullet in a .355 barrel is getting squeezed through the bore a fair amount.

9mm is .355

38 is .356

It's generally true that .38 Super is .356 and 9mm is .355, but you can also get .38 Super and SuperComp barrels in .355. I have a KKM .38SC barrel in my Bedell and it's .355 (that's all it says, not even .38SC or anything else. They recommend shooting .355 for the first 4-7K and then trying .356 to see if they shoot better. If not, then continue shooting .355.

I think it would take a lot of .356 bullets to make a .355 barrel wear to the point it won't shoot .355 bullets well. It's the depth of the grooves where the measurment is taken, so even a .355 bullet in a .355 barrel is getting squeezed through the bore a fair amount.

That's about what I would think from an old machinist point of view. It's a valid point though and I'm glad it was brought up here as I never even considered it before. I'd like to see some data on it side by side wth pfs to back it up. Anyone got a couple of new barrels and some time? :P

I have a Glock 34 and a 17. I am getting ready to start reloading and ordered 1k of PD 147gr bullets. Got an email that they won't be ready for 6 weeks. OK I went to Midway to get some Hornady HAP bullets. I had the order all done and noticed that the 125gr HAP's were .356 and the 147gr TMJ were .355.

Do I care?

Bruce

It only matters if your gun's barrel prefers one over the other. I'll have to check a SAAMI manual, but I think the official bore groove diameter for 9x19 and .38 Super are both .355 and land diameter is .346. My recall is that .38spl is also .355 and .346 respectively, although most .38 spl bullets are .357 in jackets and .358 in lead.

Keep in mind everything has tolerances expressed as a dimension +/-. So a barrel with a bore groove on the loose side of tolerance mated with bullets on the tight side of a tolerance may be a loose fit. FWIW the last box of 3,000 Hornady HAP bullets were labelled by Hornady as .355 although all of the marketing suggests the size as .356.

Martin

I have had this conversation with Wil Schuemann. His opinion is that the additional gasses that blow by a .355 projectile do far more damage than the friction of the jacket sliding down the bore. He prefers to shoot .356 & .357 projectiles to eliminate as much of the "blow by" as he can.

Do I care?

Bruce

It only matters if your gun's barrel prefers one over the other. I'll have to check a SAAMI manual, but I think the official bore groove diameter for 9x19 and .38 Super are both .355 and land diameter is .346. My recall is that .38spl is also .355 and .346 respectively, although most .38 spl bullets are .357 in jackets and .358 in lead.

Keep in mind everything has tolerances expressed as a dimension +/-. So a barrel with a bore groove on the loose side of tolerance mated with bullets on the tight side of a tolerance may be a loose fit. FWIW the last box of 3,000 Hornady HAP bullets were labelled by Hornady as .355 although all of the marketing suggests the size as .356.

Martin

To be sure I checked the ANSI SAAMI manual and 9mm, .38 Super, .38 spl, ,357 Mag have as a STANDARD the barrel dimension as .355 diameter at groove and .346 from land to land. Of course gunsmiths rebarreling have taken liberty where they can in trying to find the perfect combo. The variations by gunsmiths are more than likely twist rate, not bore dimension difference, as not many barrel manufactures truly make barrels in different bore dimensions. They may market their barrel as a different dimension, but in reality they may mostly be .355 as an example.

Recall the auto industry in marketing engine displacement whereby something called a 396, 427, 428 or whatever may have actually be several cubes different, but it sounded better or implied bigger and better!

MJ :cheers:

I have had this conversation with Wil Schuemann. His opinion is that the additional gasses that blow by a .355 projectile do far more damage than the friction of the jacket sliding down the bore. He prefers to shoot .356 & .357 projectiles to eliminate as much of the "blow by" as he can.

Another Schuemann fan here. Mimimizing "blow by" makes sense since barrels "wear out" by throat erosion and that process is accelerated by excessive blow by.

Edited by Carlos

I've got 100K on one Open Super and 50K on the other, the vast majority major loads using HAP bullets (which variously claim to be .355 or .356 or .3555, depending on the box) plus various other bullets in both .356 and .355. Neither barrel is worn out yet. Don't worry about it.