Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland 771?

kmca

I bought a few of the Safariland 771 single stack mag holders. When it's hot outside and you hit the magazine, it tilts forward enough to fall out. The problem doesn't happen to the others because the holder in front stops the mags from rotating. Has anyone else experienced this and what do you do to stop it? Tape around the top works, but it seems so Mickey Mouse :rolleyes: The holders look like they're made of ABS, can I solvent weld an ABS band around the top? If it's not, does anyone know what adhesive will work?

I bought a few of the Safariland 771 single stack mag holders. When it's hot outside and you hit the magazine, it tilts forward enough to fall out. The problem doesn't happen to the others because the holder in front stops the mags from rotating. Has anyone else experienced this and what do you do to stop it? Tape around the top works, but it seems so Mickey Mouse :rolleyes: The holders look like they're made of ABS, can I solvent weld an ABS band around the top? If it's not, does anyone know what adhesive will work?

Thats why they came out with the 773's. For years I had dropped the 771 even thinking they discontinued the 771 but with the resurgence of demand from customers I started carrying them again. I carry both now. Its a personal choice.

I had the same problem with my 771's and cured it by getting a bicycle innertube ( the really narrow diameter style for a road bike) and cutting a 1 1/2" section with scissors and stretching it over the mag holder. The mag would push against it if I bumped the mag and it acted like a spring and pushed it back into place. I never had one fall out after that.

• 1 month later...

Before Safariland introduced the 773's, I ground my 771's (on a belt sander) to the same profile on the top, front, which the 773's eventually had. I liked them better than the 773's, so I used those same 771's until I retired. One reason I liked them better was the mag had a smoother feeling release as it came out of the pouch. And another was that the groove in the front of the pouch made a nice place for my index finger to quickly get in to proper position on the front, leading edge of the mag.

be

• 5 months later...

This thread seems to have been inactive for a while and since it relates to 771s I hope no one minds if i ask a question.

I am using 4 771s in production Div.

The top of my mags are very close to my body and I find myself often grabbing some shirt as well as the mag.

How can I modify either pouches or belt so that the base of the mag is about a half inch further from my torso.

al

This thread seems to have been inactive for a while and since it relates to 771s I hope no one minds if i ask a question.

The top of my mags are very close to my body and I find myself often grabbing some shirt as well as the mag.

How can I modify either pouches or belt so that the base of the mag is about a half inch further from my torso.

al

Anyone.

al

al

Anyone.

al

I run the 771's for single stack. What kind of belt are you using? The CR/Safariland set up moves the holders out about 3/8". If there is still a problem, I'd probably use a 1/2" Delrin spacer between the body of the holder and the belt attachment, and a longer bolt. With the spacer, it probably won't be as stable. If you can't find the hardware at your local store, McMaster-Carr has them. Unfortunately, they sell in lots of 100. Fortunately, you'll have plenty of spares if you lose one :lol:

al

Anyone.

al

I run the 771's for single stack. What kind of belt are you using? The CR/Safariland set up moves the holders out about 3/8". If there is still a problem, I'd probably use a 1/2" Delrin spacer between the body of the holder and the belt attachment, and a longer bolt. With the spacer, it probably won't be as stable. If you can't find the hardware at your local store, McMaster-Carr has them. Unfortunately, they sell in lots of 100. Fortunately, you'll have plenty of spares if you lose one :lol:

I am using a cr belt.

I am not familiar with a delrin spacer and google didn't help much.

al

Sorry about that. Delrin is a trade name for polyoxymethylene. It can be any rigid, non-brittle "plastic". The spacers are just heavy walled tubing. If you're semi-handy, just get a plastic rod from someone like Tap plastic and drill a hole through the center.

Agree with Brian and I'm using 771's for my EAA doublestack mags. Love the feel of touching part of the mags with my finger. Tried the 773, but didn't get comfortable with the feeling of having the mags covered. Brian turned me onto the grinding of the top edge and that's what I'm doing to all of mine. Done it for years and in fact I screwed my magpouches directly into my belt (Ghost belt). That way they are always in the same place and they are lower than if you use the Safariland pouch clamp. Especially for shooting IPSC standard in Europe / Worlds I liked getting the mags lower. Less interference with the stomach... which is not quite as skinny as it used to be. Though back on boxing and working on it, huuh.

I'm REALLY old school in the mag pouch department. When I decided to get into single stack division, I rummaged through my 'junk' drawer and found the mag holders I used when I first started playing the game back in 1995ish--Safariland 077s (I think). I wish they still made them. They are open in the front for the top 2/3rds, and have a single tension screw in the front down at the bottom. They are not as bulky as the 773s and hold the mags better than the 771s, but still allow you to put your finger on the mag as you are drawing it. Wish I could find more of them.