Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCF Frames

Sunuva

Is anybody having problems with the buffer? I was told by CCF I would get around 2000 rounds on them, Im lucky if im getting 200.

I was also wondering if anybody has had any real problems from them, Jamming or what ever.

And I would like to know if someone has a fix, or is just not using them.

Sorry for the ramble, any info on this is appreciated. :blink:

-Robert

I was only getting around 150 to 200 rounds out of a buffer. Something you might want to try is to use faucet washers at the base of your guide rod instead of using the buffer. this does the same thing as the buffer, keeps the slide from battering the frame. I have put approx 2000 rounds in practice and competition with this setup without any problems. I change the washers out every 1000 rounds just to be safe. I am using a G35 slide with 2 washers and a 15lb spring with 2 coils removed. if you look under the CCF frame thread here there is a detailed description of what you need to do, pretty simple to figure out on your own though.

post-11093-1188738272.jpg

Edited by ormondopen

The faucet washer method works fine for now. I'm in the process of making guide rod buffers for these, I make Glock guide rods. Just picked up a CCF frame myself, very impressed. But the buffer system they supply has some problems. 200 rounds and it's done. Also it short strokes with the frame buffer. The Glocks normally have the slide recoil on the spring and guide rod, that's why stock is a flat spring. The polymer frame can take the contact with the slide when using Wolff springs, but not the alloy frames. No reason to have the slide contact the frame with a buffer between them. Don't use a metal guide rod, the channel where the guide rod head sits in the frame was cast with a radius.

CCF is going to start making their own buffs out of a much stiffer material soon. Least that is what I was told. I made some buffs out of faucet washers. I also made some out of nylon. The nylon buffs should last longer.

Is anybody having problems with the buffer? I was told by CCF I would get around 2000 rounds on them, Im lucky if im getting 200.

I was also wondering if anybody has had any real problems from them, Jamming or what ever.

-Robert

we are about to release our own polymer buffer and it will be fabricated using a denser and more abrasion resistant polymer as well as a plastic recoil rod to enable users to employ custom tension recoil spring

we are currently selling buffers sourced from Buffer Technology and apparently their buffer employs a fairly soft polymer

curious to ask what caliber, bullet wgt and if your recoil spring is new and original glock - if not original glock, what spring value are you running?

- in 165 gr 40 cal, we saw 2000 - 2500 round life on the buffers, with 180 gr +p, users are reporting 200 - 400 round life

one odd detail, users running metal recoil rods, buffer life went down by 50%, which was part of the reason we no longer recommend metal recoil rods

Edited by larryccf

-Robert

we are about to release our own polymer buffer and it will be fabricated using a denser and more abrasion resistant polymer as well as a plastic recoil rod to enable users to employ custom tension recoil spring

we are currently selling buffers sourced from Buffer Technology and apparently their buffer employs a fairly soft polymer

curious to ask what caliber, bullet wgt and if your recoil spring is new and original glock - if not original glock, what spring value are you running?

- in 165 gr 40 cal, we saw 2000 - 2500 round life on the buffers, with 180 gr +p, users are reporting 200 - 400 round life

one odd detail, users running metal recoil rods, buffer life went down by 50%, which was part of the reason we no longer recommend metal recoil rods

Larry,

Im using a 180 gr bullet but it’s loaded down to 168 power factor with a factory recoil spring and rod,

Not sure how rounds on the guide rod and spring, im sure im due for a new one.

-Robert

I was only getting around 150 to 200 rounds out of a buffer. Something you might want to try is to use faucet washers at the base of your guide rod instead of using the buffer. this does the same thing as the buffer, keeps the slide from battering the frame. I have put approx 2000 rounds in practice and competition with this setup without any problems. I change the washers out every 1000 rounds just to be safe. I am using a G35 slide with 2 washers and a 15lb spring with 2 coils removed. if you look under the CCF frame thread here there is a detailed description of what you need to do, pretty simple to figure out on your own though.

I seen that post, I will give it a try thanks.

Yup, destroyed mine in a half-a-day of practicing, maybe 300 rounds. Brand new stock recoil spring/guiderod and my handloads making 166.5 PF, 180 Gr w/ 4.6 of titegroup stock glock barrel. I need to see a better solution than Wilson buffers, these things practically melt as soon as you put a couple rounds downrange. I just went out and bought a bunch of nylon/rubber washers and am going to try some combination of them instead. Any other ideas besides faucet washers for our brand new frames?? I gotta admit I'm a little bummed about being mislead like this, told 2000 rounds and we're all getting 200? That's unacceptable to me, I'm not buying a new buffer every time I shoot this thing.

• 3 weeks later...

40 open making 167PF (935-940FPS) with 180grn bullet. Buffers lasted 200-300 rounds with steel guide-rod (15lb spring -4 coils). I went to a plastic guide-rod (13lb spring -4 coil) and noticed the buffers lasting more like 500 rounds. Still way below anything advertised. Fortunately, I purchased 5 extras.

• 4 months later...

Any new news on this issue? I picked one of these up yesterday (waiting on it to arrive at FFL dealer) and am going in with open eyes (seems like there is still some debugging to take place) however see a huge market for these frames if they become "race capable" given that outside of sport use I could imagine why anyone would want one. To sum that, up CCF please cater to us, the sport shooters as we're going to be your biggest market.

Looking forward to getting mine this week to play. Also, the lady at CCF who took my order was as nice and helpful as you could ever ask for - I had a good initial experience with them.

-Calvin

Larry, I just ordered a frame today and I was wondering if they will come with the new buffer? If not can I order some of them?

The answer would be NO. Bought mine last week from CCF and it came with the old. Mine only lasted 100 rounds!!! And that was with only 50 reliable shots. Spoke to CCF this morning and to John Nagle (Glock Jockey) this afternoon. CCF is about ready (sounds like a couple more weeks) to release the new guide rods - I assume these will be "Available for purchase." CCF did not mention new buffers at all. They also suggested sending the frame out for milling to John Nagle to reduce the short stroking.

John Nagle (AKA glock jockey) suggests continuing to run a buff AFTER milling the frame - but I think he is assuming a 17/22 length slide - which is prone to snap the tab on the muzzle off due to battering the slide on the frame if buffer is not used. I know that he recommends the 17 slide for 9mm major guns due to slide lightening cuts on the inside of the 34 slides, BUT if using a 35 slide I can't see where/how anything would/could break, buff or no. My bottom line is that buffs (any good firearms instructor will tell you) are a failure waiting to happen.

Anyhow back to the issue, CCF admitted to me this morning that they did not test 180 grain .40 rounds during development of the frames/buff which led to this. Reading between the lines, it sounds like they are having issues with 45GAP also. I don't get it on the .40 as 180 is the predominant ammo available out there in .40, not sure how they did not test it.

I don't expect them to be too concerned about competition shooters - but the guns won't run in stock fashion with target ammo - that’s a problem to me. CCF is sending me a couple of extra buffers, but their idea of the fix appears to be A) buy a heavier ISMI spring (20lb), waiting on the new guide rod and/or sending the frame out to be machined. Bottom line, CCF states (and it does make sense) that the same 17lb spring is used in ALL small frame glocks. Going up a few pounds does makes sense, but the real issue is that they made the frames to stock dimensions, but failed to take into consideration medium differences (steel vs. plastic) and therefore that the steel frame will kill a 17/22 slide, whereas the OEM plastic won't. I personally think that they A) either owe existing frame owners their new recoil kits, or need to modify the frames. They said they WOULD NOT be machining frames as they are "not setup for one off work." In the end they have a design issue and are now putting it on the customer to fix it - at a bare minimum I think they should be shipping 20lb springs with the frames.

-Calvin

• 2 months later...
Now that weather is warming and I've increased spring weight buffers lasting much longer - problem solved in my book. Thumbs up to CCF.

-Calvin

wait till you see the guide rod we've designed for these, buffer problem is resolved. Available only direct from CCF soon.

• 1 month later...
Now that weather is warming and I've increased spring weight buffers lasting much longer - problem solved in my book. Thumbs up to CCF.

-Calvin

wait till you see the guide rod we've designed for these, buffer problem is resolved. Available only direct from CCF soon.

Are these available yet?