Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 45 vs. G21 SF?

I'm looking a .45 that I can just dump into a box for HM (no manual safety) during weapon transitions. And I guess I just want something new, cool and different. :lol:

Both of these models are fairly new. Which gun would you choose and why?

Are magwells available or at least in the horizon for either of these guns?

Does Glock have a "lifetime service warrantee" that S&W have? Which company actually has better execution in warrantying their guns?

Etc.

Also how do you search in the previous threads for these guns? Using "g21", "g21 sf" and "M&P" as keyword wasn't giving me any hits.

Thanks.

I own a g21sf and have shot the MP. Both are awesome, I like the glock because I own others. There are more accessories for the glock and it holds more bullets for a similar length grip. Just pick one and shoot the hell out of it.

I'm looking a .45 that I can just dump into a box for HM

"HM"?

I'm not RS, but I think he means "He Man" or "Heavy Metal" three gun.

RS - If you're used to 1911s, I'd go with the M&P; if you're used to Glocks, go with the 21SF. There's enough difference in the grip angles, IMO, to make a meaningfull difference. Another factor to consider is that new Glock mags (though I don't know whether this applies to the 21SF, since older 21 mags won't work with it) are considerably cheaper than mags for an M&P.

Religious Shooter,

it all comes down to what feels better in your hands. The grip angle on Glocks is too much for me personally, but that's just me. They are both nice pistols, and I think whichever one you choose, you'll do alright.

Go with the Glock. We had 2 guys shooting M&P's a 9 and a 40. At about 2500-3500 rounds they started puking and double feeding. Reloads, factory ammo didn't matter. It was sad to watch as I liked the M&P but if it isn't 100% ????

That's interesting... I have put many times that through my 2007 M&P .40 without issues like that. The first batch of M&P's, almost 2 years ago, were exactly as you described, but NOT the latest ones.

The 40 is one of the first ones the 9 is this years. Damn shame cause I really liked the M&P. I traded mine in for a 21sf after seeing the jams, no way I was going to bet my life on it working 100%. Hopefully Smith has found a cure but I'll wait to see.

My shooting buddy bought a 9mm S&W M&P for 3-gunning. He also had problems with the extractor pulling off of the fired case and leaving it in the chamber......which is a costly jam to clear while the clock is running. S&W did pay shipping both ways for warranty work TWICE. 1st time they replaced the extractor, 2nd time they replaced the barrel all free of charge. After that, it still did it on occasion..as in at match, so he finally sold it. Maybe he had a LEMON, I like they way they are set up, but I think there are some gremlins to be aware of.

3gunr

Go with whatever one fits your hand better. I've shot both and they both work great. If you're getting a 21 SF with the ambi release, make sure you try one first. My grip interferes with the right side release. I ordered mine with the older style mag release and the one I've tried are great. Since you're looking at HM there is no capacity difference that matters.

Only problem I've seen is the death jams. I really hoped that smith would finally get an auto right but 2 out of 2 at the match was enough to make me switch to the well proven glock. It was painful to watch in a match and would have been deadly in real life.

Only problem I've seen is the death jams. I really hoped that smith would finally get an auto right but 2 out of 2 at the match was enough to make me switch to the well proven glock. It was painful to watch in a match and would have been deadly in real life.

Could you define "death jam"? My XD locked up at my last match, it was totally an ammo problem. Soft lead pealed back and formed 2 hooks. Took Nemo kung fo'ing it to clear. Now I don't run lead.

My 40 MP is right around 3k with no problems what so ever. I did my own trigger job which is trivial for a trigger which I think is nicer then anything I've seen on a Glock besides replacing the trigger with the metal ones. I've seen multiple guns older the mine, also running with no problems. I would really have to ask the people who's guns you saw jam what they've done to them. In my experience there is no need to replace any springs or modify any of them from the factory spec for either major or minor. But if mine breaks, I'll let you know :)

And its not like I don't see pleanty of glock break now and then. I think they are both fine guns, and I predict the M&P will make a huge dent in Glocks stranglehold on some USPSA divisions.

Flex,

The 9mm was shooting factory ammo and had a Burwell trigger job. The 40 was both factory and relaods didn't matter. Gun was stock.

VBS, Death jam those that kill your match....in this case a string of jams which would cause you to get your ass kicked by a guy with a muzzle loader!