Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian .40 S&W Hi-Cap Mags

Alan Meek

The mags are from ACT who makes mags for the Tanfoglio guns and the ACT power mag for 1911s amd a whole lot of other firearms. Travis Tomasie has a post here on the forums on the mods required for a Tanfoglio to work in a Caspian. IIRC you need to mode the mag catch hole, the back of the feed lips and the front of the mag to work with the shelf that Caspian has in their frame.

Alan

Chris,

Not at the present time although I have heard at a later date they will get 170mm mags. I know of nothing on this front presently.

Although Jim Anglin (jjanglin here on Enos) at Sailor's Gunsmith will weld up two 38 Super Mags to the 170 Length.

Alan

Chris,

Not at the present time although I have heard at a later date they will get 170mm mags. I know of nothing on this front presently.

Although Jim Anglin (jjanglin here on Enos) at Sailor's Gunsmith will weld up two 38 Super Mags to the 170 Length.

Alan

I had Jim build a 170 for me and it is the best magazine in my bag regardless of capacity.

FM

I think it is really a shame. When they stopped selling mags or parts years ago when the banned happened I think they destroyed their market share possibly forever. I used to prefer the caspian frame to the sti any day of the week. But at this point so many people have 2+ s_i guns that switching to another one is not a great idea. The mags look awesome and now that they are available somewhat it is something to consider.

Alan who will be selling these and what price are we looking at for them

I think it is really a shame. When they stopped selling mags or parts years ago when the banned happened I think they destroyed their market share possibly forever. I used to prefer the caspian frame to the sti any day of the week. But at this point so many people have 2+ s_i guns that switching to another one is not a great idea. The mags look awesome and now that they are available somewhat it is something to consider.

Alan who will be selling these and what price are we looking at for them

Kingman,

A tidbit of info on the Caspian Mags and the ban. Gary took 200 38 Super mags to the 94 Nationals to sell and he returned to Caspian with the same 200 mags. So business decisions were made based upon the info at the time that was available.

As far as market share, there are people that will make the switch, will the market share give Caspian the majority of guns out there, probably not, but there is an alternative to the S_I guns and that is a good thing, IMHO.

As of this time Caspian will be selling them and from the info I have ~$85, that is for the Mag, follower, Spring and basepad. The mags as sold will hold 18 rds. If you use a S_I follower 20rds and the Grams S_I follower and 11 Coil spring will give you 21rds.

Alan

thank you for the infot. I did not know about the 200 mags not being sold at nats.

I think competition is great. Like I said I like the caspian feel better than the S_I feel.

That really is not a bad retail price for mags.

Alan,

Are these the same mags available in the new Brownells catalog? Also, do you know what max OAL they will take?

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

If you are talking about Brownells part # 168-000-059 I would venture to say yes they are the same.

I do know that I attempted to load the mags with 10mm and I was only able to get 10 rds in before it became bound up. Not sure if it was the STI follower that I had in the mag at the time. I do want to retry 10mm with the Grams follower.

Alan

• 4 months later...

Benny has one (high cap in .40) ordered as of today. I am not sure if it is to go out or it is ours (read mine) to play with. As soon as the parts get in I will order a few of these new mags and see if they work for me... :cheers:

Edited by Merlin Orr

Benny has one (high cap in .40) ordered as of today. I am not sure if it is to go out or it is ours (read mine) to play with. As soon as the parts get in I will order a few of these new mags and see if they work for me... :cheers:

Merlin, you are going to like them!!!

make sure to order the Grams Tanfoglio follower and spring, avalable from grams or henning

Alan

Thanks for this link, Alan. As soon as Benny finishes the Caspian framed 6" Fat Free I will post a picture and perhaps a comparative review with an S_I 6". I am thinking with a little more heft - all of it in the frame/hand - it should be a nice performer... :)

Thanks for this link, Alan. As soon as Benny finishes the Caspian framed 6" Fat Free I will post a picture and perhaps a comparative review with an S_I 6". I am thinking with a little more heft - all of it in the frame/hand - it should be a nice performer... :)

Now Merlin you know there will be no comparison. :devil:

Can't wait to see the pics of it when it is done

Alan

Merlin, I am putting one together too sometime soon. I bought a frame for a good price, had the slide here, and the barrel, and the safeties, and everything else LOL. Rich Dettlehouser showed me the new mags, and the grips he could make, I was hooked right there!!

Mine is out a ways though, for sure it is getting a set of Ambonia burl grips from Rich at Canyon Creek and I still have to get it down there for him to make and fit them. After that it shouldn't take long to do all the rest.

I just keep looking at it though, I know it would be ultra cool with my 6" slide cuts and all of that, but WHO has an open gun with a black frame, Ambonia burl grips, BRIGHT hard chrome slide, 29 round mags, and is just so freaking cool it should be illegal? I want to build it into an Open gun for myself so bad it hurts, but I need to solicit donations to make that happen right now LOL.

I wish someone would buy it LOL, if I do it for myself it is going to get out of hand in a hurry and take ten times as long!!!!

I have shot a few Caspian doublestack guns courtesy of the local area shooters and they are very nice. Now that we have mags for all the variations I am going to see what I can do with them. I really like the feel, but not the weight. I can work on that :ph34r: