Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .45 for revolver techniques

Matt Griffin

Hey folks, let's talk about the OTHER reloading. Specifically, techniques to insure proper primer seating.

I've been playing around with the strain screw, and a pull that lights CCI primers that I seat very firmly in my 650 won't light Winchesters that I just casually seated for 1911 use. Obviously technique is a big factor.

How dangerous is it to lightly crush primers, provided you're doing it slowly?

What about shimming the bottom of the primer ram so that it seats deeper?

Pocket cleaning?

Hand priming?

Also, do we have definitive proof that deeper is better, or just harder is better? I'm thinking that depth works against the primer strike, but insures full seating. If there's a bunch of crud under the primer, but it is still seated firmly against the crud, I would think that the higher primer would receive a harder blow, or does the firing pin ever bottom out during the stroke?

H.

I've done quite a bit of searching, and everyone just says "seat them", they don't really address things like pocket cleaning or progressive techniques, just that some hand prime before or after loading.

I'm curious about how far to go, if you can expect the occasional fired primer and the like.

H.

When loading match ammo I always use a hand seating tool and do like this:

1. Clean primer pocket with hand tool.

2. Seat primer to bottom.

3. Twist case 1/2 turn and seat again.

Match ammo bullets are also weighed separately and bullets out of specs are put aside for practising.

Cases of the same brand are also used.

I reload with lee equipment, I have the priming attachment for the single stage press. I just seat my primers to the bottom of the primer pocket. I do not waste my time with cleaning the primer pockets (it wouldn't help me, my best head shots are on the non-threats). I had read an article a few years ago that covered the question of cleaning the prime pockets, the author felt that it did not make any difference either. However, some people swear by cleaning the pockets and feels that it makes a difference. They could very well be right.

Cleaining primer pockets is mostly a matter of degree for Revolvers.

It doesn't seem to make much difference for several reloadings. Even when I was running 4# Revo Actions I never could attribute a misfire to the primer pocket being dirty.

But after it builds up, and it can get pretty thick after 15+ loadings, it would probably help. I've noticed as the crud gets so deep it takes more effort to get primers seated below flush. By that time though I like to use them for practice, local stuff or my 1911, and leave 'em lay.

We have at least one pretty salty Revo Competitor who claims to shoot ragged, split, dirty cases with no problems (and I'd bet suggesting he clean a primer pocket would draw a hearty belly laugh). But then he only wins Area Matches. But his name is echoed at every match :unsure: .

I reload on a 650, and I never have cleaned a primer pocket yet.

I seat the primers and then give it just a little extra "OOmph". Some say I will get a primer bang one of these days, but after 200,000+ Federal large and small pistol plus I have no idea of how many small winchesters with no problems it seems to be an OK system.

When I check seat depth I just check to see if they are flush or lower as mine will run with flush primers 100% of the time.

I really don't sweat it much. Quite like another on these forums.

Hop

i have a slightly off topic question for you guys - on my sdb i sometimes get a grain of media on the primer punch that dents a few primers before i catch it. is this going to -

-make me have to change underpants by setting off a primer?

-make them less sensitive?

-irritate me because they look funny?

i chamber check all my loaded moons and check for high primers/etc. then.

thx!

Hey folks, let's talk about the OTHER reloading. Specifically, techniques to insure proper primer seating.

I've been playing around with the strain screw, and a pull that lights CCI primers that I seat very firmly in my 650 won't light Winchesters that I just casually seated for 1911 use. Obviously technique is a big factor.

How dangerous is it to lightly crush primers, provided you're doing it slowly?

What about shimming the bottom of the primer ram so that it seats deeper?

Pocket cleaning?

Hand priming?

Also, do we have definitive proof that deeper is better, or just harder is better? I'm thinking that depth works against the primer strike, but insures full seating. If there's a bunch of crud under the primer, but it is still seated firmly against the crud, I would think that the higher primer would receive a harder blow, or does the firing pin ever bottom out during the stroke?

H.

Hi Matt,

The trick is Federal primers at a depth of at least 8 thousandths......This will never let you down.

Regards

Mark

i have a slightly off topic question for you guys - on my sdb i sometimes get a grain of media on the primer punch that dents a few primers before i catch it. is this going to -

i chamber check all my loaded moons and check for high primers/etc. then.

thx!

IMHO, -irritate you because they look funny.

I've never had a problem with them going bang if they were just ugly and seated flush or lower. On my 650, I'm like Sam. I give it a little extra 'ummph' when seating the primer. And OBTW, I've set off a tube of primers that way, but it only happened once in about 75k rounds and that was a federal small pistol primer. But, once was enuf :surprise:

FWIW

dj

We have at least one pretty salty Revo Competitor who claims to shoot ragged, split, dirty cases with no problems (and I'd bet suggesting he clean a primer pocket would draw a hearty belly laugh). But then he only wins Area Matches. But his name is echoed at every match :unsure: .

Hmmm....I think Chris Zeeb was shooting some of that guy's ammo last year at the Iowa Back-to-Back match....

Door #3, irritate you. Only time I've seen them set off, a friend of mine tried to loosen primers hung up in the tube on his 650 with a piece of welding rod. About 10 stitches and it sure was noisy. Tom